How about a help the newbie competition?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
Here is my thinking

All those newbies who have had some sort of training but are not yet confident in their work and don't take part in other competitions could be paired up with a more experienced tech (I am talking nails here)

Then say over a 2 week period newbie goes at it like a mad woman or man and send piccs to said mentor for critique and pointers on where and how to improve. At the end of the 2 weeks (if you think that is long enough) they submit competion style nails on real hands (so that they get a bit of a feel for competitions) and then a winner can be voted for!

This is just a rough idea, let me know what you think??

I think this is a fabaroony idea...but can you wait until I have had some sort of training lol :lol:

Only a couple of weeks... thats all I am asking...

Nice of you to think of newbies though...well done xxx

well I am guessing it will take a couple of weeks to organise once I start getting some more people interested, so you might just make it!!

Im not really a newbie but I feel like it..can I join in too!!!

any one who feels that they can benefit from some guidance from more experienced geeks can join in!

Fab idea Jackie :hug: some geeks may have some time constraints/commitments, so that would have to be taken into consideration - but I'm sure there are plenty of geeks willing to help out :green:

yep I was a bit worried about that, but once I get an idea of who wants to be involved then I can fine tune it all!

Without going all boring on you, all competitions have to be run through the mods first. I can't remember the thread that was started about this, but it's just to ensure that it will all run smoothly. Sounds like a fab idea, so when you have gotten all the details together pm one of us and we'll just check it over. If it goes ahead then I expect it will have to be after the next comp which is being organised by 1999Judy for salon nails.

ok fab thanks Sas
does that mean I can put you down for mentoring???

ok fab thanks Sas
does that mean I can put you down for mentoring???

Mentoring or being mental!!! I am too unreliable, unless that mad Mercedes bird wants to team up with an old bird at the other end of town, and then she can come and bash my salon door down and chivvy me up!!!

ahhh but then she would have the unfair advantage of in the flesh mentoring instead of over the net lol!

Sounds like a fab idea - know who I want my mentor to be - keep your diary free Rach.

ahhh but then she would have the unfair advantage of in the flesh mentoring instead of over the net lol!

Oops sorry misunderstood!!! Well if you are going to do it over the net than people HAVE to send clear photos and at various different angles which I think you need to predetermine. you can only give fuzzy critique if you get a fuzzy picture through! Sure put me down, I'm not the best at nails but I am okay at critiqueing!

I would say though that the newbies have to accept that a critique is there to help them so we can't have sensitive souls who can't hack criticism - if you want to improve you have to accept where you are going wrong.

I can see this is going to be needed to be thrashed out quite a bit to get it right. I think maybe a set of salon nails at the end of the 2 weeks would be better, as competition nails are so different?

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Also i think you need to clarify what you term as newbie. A newbie who works from home and does maybe a couple of clients a week won't be at the same level as someone working in a salon doing nails day in day out. Or am i getting too complicated here?

no I think you are on the right line Sas
I was thinking about maybe having some catagories as there will be some very new people to to nails and also some more experience geeks who still feel they could do with some pointers but who would already be producing some good nails.

I was also thinking that you don't get to chose you mentor, you will be allocated one dependant on what system you use, what system the mentor uses etc (I mean gel, l&P and wraps not brands)

It does need an awful lot of thought I know and may not even get off the ground but I tough it would be nice to try something that could get more of us talking to each other and let the newbies have a go!

What about those who have nevered entered a comp or those who are taking on a new system?

Isnt that how it work in professional comps - those who have never entered before.

yep anyone who feels that they would benefit or could make improvements to the nails they are currently producing by spending some time (over the net) with those that are greatly experienced

Mentoring or being mental!!! I am too unreliable, unless that mad Mercedes bird wants to team up with an old bird at the other end of town, and then she can come and bash my salon door down and chivvy me up!!!

I think she fancies me lol...:lol:

I think she fancies me lol...:lol:

ooh no I'm after 62 year old pregnant men now! Sorry I am digressing!

Jackie I think you need to keep it fairly simple as organising a competition is murder at the best of times!

ok so really I'd like to keep it to fairly new newbies - just so they get a chance to do something for a change, I can always do another one at a later date!

So anyone that has qualified in the last year and who has not taken part in any previous competitions?

Latest posts

Back