How are we all?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2021

Reaction score
Just wondering how you’re all coping and if you’re missing work?

I feel like I’ve settled into not working now and I’m not missing it much. I’ve noticed a difference in my health and mood since I haven’t been working and it’s been a bit of a reality check. I have a home salon and I’ve loved not having clients here and I viewed many as friends and that’s now changed. Actually got me wondering if it’s time for a career change....

I hadn’t touched an acrylic brush for 12 weeks then my own and my daughters nails and it took ages and a bit of shaping! Think I’d better practice before I’m back

I am just feeling the same Ciderella, not missing it one bit to be honest. After over 38 years in the industry I thought it was what defined me....never thought I could manage without the buzz, chats etc. How wrong was I !

Some clients I have found to really be my friends but not many. They have supported me ,been selfless, when my mood has been low they have really helped me out. I have made a decision that I will not be returning to full-time as my life has filled with caring for my relatives...helping my elderly relatives with personal care particularly. I have felt a sense of achievement and pleasure in a strange way. I have enjoyed my love of sewing, especially cross stitch, and learned new embroidery stitches.
I am quite enjoying not rushing around and not being so time conscious.
Lunch with my husband etc. Walk up to the local shop in the daytime which would have been unheard of during a working week.
I won't have a career change ....it will be a slow wind down I should think for me.
The demographic of my clients is that they are getting on some of them , so because they are vulnerable and need to be careful, unless there is a vaccine it will be goodbye.
I think after this we will have all changed, re -evaluated our lives perhaps, and found that there is more to life than work..
Whilst we need money to provide food on our tables and pay the bills ,we should also consider why not do just a little bit less work and enjoy the time off to do nothing more than sit having a cuppa watching the birds.

Sorry for the selfish ramblings from this old codger , but I totally "get" you Ciderella.
So what career are you thinking of??

Rosie x

Same here, I have been enjoying myself during lockdown too & have been doing things that would never have done before.
I am starting to get things ready for going back, & I keep saying to clients that i’m looking forward to getting back to work but in reality i’m nowhere near ready to go into the fray!
I feel like being mobile it’s going to be so tricky then with all the extra work & less money, all the wearing ppe & being hot & uncomfortable day in day out it’s not going to be the enjoyable job it once was.
I feel like I won’t be doing so many hours either when I go back.

I am just feeling the same Ciderella, not missing it one bit to be honest. After over 38 years in the industry I thought it was what defined me....never thought I could manage without the buzz, chats etc. How wrong was I !

Some clients I have found to really be my friends but not many. They have supported me ,been selfless, when my mood has been low they have really helped me out. I have made a decision that I will not be returning to full-time as my life has filled with caring for my relatives...helping my elderly relatives with personal care particularly. I have felt a sense of achievement and pleasure in a strange way. I have enjoyed my love of sewing, especially cross stitch, and learned new embroidery stitches.
I am quite enjoying not rushing around and not being so time conscious.
Lunch with my husband etc. Walk up to the local shop in the daytime which would have been unheard of during a working week.
I won't have a career change ....it will be a slow wind down I should think for me.
The demographic of my clients is that they are getting on some of them , so because they are vulnerable and need to be careful, unless there is a vaccine it will be goodbye.
I think after this we will have all changed, re -evaluated our lives perhaps, and found that there is more to life than work..
Whilst we need money to provide food on our tables and pay the bills ,we should also consider why not do just a little bit less work and enjoy the time off to do nothing more than sit having a cuppa watching the birds.

Sorry for the selfish ramblings from this old codger , but I totally "get" you Ciderella.
So what career are you thinking of??

Rosie x

I feel exactly the same as you and think after the initial rush I may go part time. Just enjoying how calm life is now although that may be partly due to my 3 teens living between me and my ex lol.

I’ve considered doing my training qualification for a while so that’ll be my first goal. I used to be a presenter for HMRC so could go back to training easily maybe do nail courses. Clients have asked in the past.

Same here, I have been enjoying myself during lockdown too & have been doing things that would never have done before.
I am starting to get things ready for going back, & I keep saying to clients that i’m looking forward to getting back to work but in reality i’m nowhere near ready to go into the fray!
I feel like being mobile it’s going to be so tricky then with all the extra work & less money, all the wearing ppe & being hot & uncomfortable day in day out it’s not going to be the enjoyable job it once was.
I feel like I won’t be doing so many hours either when I go back.

I want to go part time but I also want to make up the money I’ve lost!

I found covid 19 to be very grounding. I mean I had some bad luck over the last few years with my halth but covid let me sit down and realise I want to get back behind the chair.

I want to go part time but I also want to make up the money I’ve lost!
Exactly, it’s a lot of pennies lost!
I think it’s just so important that we look after ourselves though, don’t go rushing around trying to fit everyone in as if we get run down, more likely to catch either the virus or colds etc.

I feel like I’ve settled into not working now and I’m not missing it much. I’ve noticed a difference in my health and mood since I haven’t been working and it’s been a bit of a reality check. I have a home salon and I’ve loved not having clients here and I viewed many as friends and that’s now changed. Actually got me wondering if it’s time for a career change....

I hadn’t touched an acrylic brush for 12 weeks then my own and my daughters nails and it took ages and a bit of shaping! Think I’d better practice before I’m back

I feel a lot like you to be absolutely honest. It has surprised me. I feel more relaxed, settled into a new routine, growing vegetables, reading, decorating etc. It’s amazed me how things that were a chore when I had a ton of work on have become a pleasure now.
I definitely don’t miss working evenings, and it’s been lovely being able to prepare dinner in a relaxed fashion and enjoy it with the family instead of bolting it down and rushing to set up for the next client.

I’m considering going part time after the initial catch up. I’m definitely using the break and return to work as an opportunity to restructure. I’m only going to do 2 evenings a week and am putting a total stop to “teatime” appts - so many people want to pop in on their way home from work to save them coming back out again.... but it messes up my mealtime most nights of the week and that’s unfair.

I’m not actually missing work, but I am missing the company of some of my lovely ladies!

Interesting to read the comments here. I thought I was smitten with my job and it’s actually been a bit of a revelation!

I feel a lot like you to be absolutely honest. It has surprised me. I feel more relaxed, settled into a new routine, growing vegetables, reading, decorating etc. It’s amazed me how things that were a chore when I had a ton of work on have become a pleasure now.
I definitely don’t miss working evenings, and it’s been lovely being able to prepare dinner in a relaxed fashion and enjoy it with the family instead of bolting it down and rushing to set up for the next client.

I’m considering going part time after the initial catch up. I’m definitely using the break and return to work as an opportunity to restructure. I’m only going to do 2 evenings a week and am putting a total stop to “teatime” appts - so many people want to pop in on their way home from work to save them coming back out again.... but it messes up my mealtime most nights of the week and that’s unfair.

I’m not actually missing work, but I am missing the company of some of my lovely ladies!

Interesting to read the comments here. I thought I was smitten with my job and it’s actually been a bit of a revelation!
I’ve come to realise that we’re doing the clients a service, which should dictate what hours we work, not them. You don’t see Tesco opening up when someone feels like popping in

Its definitely opened up my eyes for sure.
I used to bend over backwards and cave in to most clients, shoving them in here and there.
Loving a strict appointment only approach, again id always do a walk in cut or eyebrows or nails, IF i had time that day or whenever and i think because of this they expected it more.
Also im due a little one anyday while it has been nice to relax the stress of all this has been alot.
I will have to go back into work sooner than i ever anticipated BUT i now know it will be controlled.
I run the salon on my own so do not have a choice but to return to get the ball rolling.

Doing nails was my second job.
Although fully qualified it was a hobby that I did and got paid for but I would then spend that money buying new product.
I have not missed it.
Quite happy to do mine and my daughter's nails.
None of my clients have asked how I am and since restrictions were lifted here in South Australia, none have contacted me to ask if I am open.
I am not fussed as I don't really care.

Its definitely opened up my eyes for sure.
I used to bend over backwards and cave in to most clients, shoving them in here and there.
Loving a strict appointment only approach, again id always do a walk in cut or eyebrows or nails, IF i had time that day or whenever and i think because of this they expected it more.
Also im due a little one anyday while it has been nice to relax the stress of all this has been alot.
I will have to go back into work sooner than i ever anticipated BUT i now know it will be controlled.
I run the salon on my own so do not have a choice but to return to get the ball rolling.
Good luck & enjoy your little one!

I have totally looked at my life since lockdown. The clients I had were a massive part of my life and it has been interesting how only a few have been in contact. I am an older therapist so actually really enjoying catching up with jobs around the house and not missing those last minute have you got an appointment? Sorry could I come at 2 not 12 etc. I am going to be a lot stronger with my booking on my return so for me good has come out of this. Still feel apprehensive about going back as experience tells me clients will show even if they are not well.........maybe with this awful virus it will be different!!!!

I have totally looked at my life since lockdown. The clients I had were a massive part of my life and it has been interesting how only a few have been in contact. I am an older therapist so actually really enjoying catching up with jobs around the house and not missing those last minute have you got an appointment? Sorry could I come at 2 not 12 etc. I am going to be a lot stronger with my booking on my return so for me good has come out of this. Still feel apprehensive about going back as experience tells me clients will show even if they are not well.........maybe with this awful virus it will be different!!!!
I am much the same.
Clients can be fickle. Even those who have been long term friends then become clients can treat you badly. I have had my fair share of those. So yes I also am not rushing back, even though we now can here.
I have enjoyed having my weekends to myself and like you catching up on things around the house and not feeling so time poor.
PS I am older too (turned 50 yesterday) and I just have re thought everything through as well. Life is too short!

I am much the same.
Clients can be fickle. Even those who have been long term friends then become clients can treat you badly. I have had my fair share of those. So yes I also am not rushing back, even though we now can here.
I have enjoyed having my weekends to myself and like you catching up on things around the house and not feeling so time poor.
PS I am older too (turned 50 yesterday) and I just have re thought everything through as well. Life is too short!

A belated Happy Birthday to you!
I hope you had a lovely day. I’ve had my 49th birthday and my eldest daughters birthday in lockdown. My youngest in next month so hoping we can celebrate with more family

Latest posts

Back