How bad is overspray?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rourke

Reaction score
I started a thread earlier, but have come to realise that the question I need to ask is how bad is overspray?

I am looking at offering spray tans from home, although the only suitable rooms are carpeted. Is it possible to contain the overspray to an enclosed room?

Any suggestions on how to minimise overspray and protect carpets and walls?

If you have a tent/booth and extractor any over spray will be confined into that space also having your gun on the right setting will reduce over spray

Thanks Emily.

I haven't got an extractor fan yet, I don't want to spend too much money yet as I want to make sure I attract enough business first..

I've read a lot of threads saying you should only be about a hands length away from the client which seems reasonable.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap rug to cover the carpet, or even using a shower curtain!

Extractor fans really are a life saver imo. Even with one there are times I still get a small amount so I personally couldn't imagine being without one. My advice would be to invest in one as soon as it's an option. :)

Deffinetly recommended an extractor, makes a massive difference. I got mine from castlepointtanning.com. The "UK Mobile or Salon Most Powerful Spray Tanning Extractor Fan Unit" it has washable filters, which is brilliant! Xx

I love my extractor, couldn't be without it. Tan always goes on furnishings because it's airborne, you don't notice at first but then after a while you see a layer on everything

You have to have an extractor , if you are going to do spray tans , it is a vital part of your kit. Why skimp on one of the most important parts of your equipment. If you can not afford one ( they are very reasonable ) then maybe hold off until you can. It is not fair on your clients or your staff , to offer spray tans with out one. X

I will not have any staff, it's just myself from home. I don't want to purchase one and only have say 2 clients and never use it again..
It'll take awhile to develop a client base, so until then I am only looking at about one client a day, and they will be informed that I am just starting out (they will most likely be friends and family for now).

Do you think the overspray will stain the carpet and walls from about 5 tans a week?

Once business starts picking up I will invest in an extractor, no doubt about it!

I would recommend that you look into Exposed ™ Tan, it has hardly any overspray at all and minimal smell, it's complete.y different to other tans as its applied closer to the skin minimising overspray, I love it and it has saved me buying an extractor x

I loveeee Moroccan Tan! Never have a problem with over spray. The tans enriched with argan oil so suits my eczema ridden skin really well, I find I don't go patchy and the tan lasts a lot longer! also a two hour rinse off time!! no more brown sheets!!

I will not have any staff, it's just myself from home. I don't want to purchase one and only have say 2 clients and never use it again..
It'll take awhile to develop a client base, so until then I am only looking at about one client a day, and they will be informed that I am just starting out (they will most likely be friends and family for now).

Do you think the overspray will stain the carpet and walls from about 5 tans a week?

Once business starts picking up I will invest in an extractor, no doubt about it!

Yes - I don't do much spray tanning at all - I have a tent and extractor but everything I wipe in my bathroom is orange!

It's not impossible to contain over spray so it doesn't go out of the room, but you will need an extractor to help to minimise the airborne particles right from the start AND you will need to work hard at learning the best setting for your gun to minimise the amount of over spray you have when tanning AND then you will need to keep the door closed as much as possible when tanning and for a while after tanning while the extractor continues to remove as much tan as it can from the air.

Yes 5 tans a week will very quickly impact on your home furnishings.

It feels to me like you asked a question and didn't get the answer you were hoping for so now your trying to justify your decision not to buy one, if your going to be doing lots of tans in one place, that can be 10 tans in 1 day, over 10 days or over 4 months, it makes no difference because there will be airborne particles EVERY time you tan & they will settle everywhere, if you were using a wet room then you could wash it all down so you'd be fine but if not you NEED an extractor or you will quickly see the tan settle everywhere & airborne tan will damage/stain the carpet, having a rug or shower curtain down would just protect the area that's covered leaving it clean and all around it will have a film of tan showing where the rug was especially if you do a lot of tans.

A tanning kit is not cheap and an extractor is part of that kit if your not mobile (& even some mobile therapists have extractors), if you want to become a tanning therapist then you have to commit to it & then make it work, if it all fails then you can sell the extractor on and make some money back & you should be able to cover the costs of your other kit & at least some of the extractor costs quickly enough if your doing 5 tans a week (as you quoted) and your tans are priced sensibly.

It feels to me like you asked a question and didn't get the answer you were hoping for so now your trying to justify your decision not to buy one.

This is the same impression I'm getting.

We bought a new extractor a few months ago, its made such a difference. Although we had a fake bake extractor and tent before we found even after only a couple of tans it was all over the window ledges, floor and skirting. We don't have so much of an issue with the new extractor but tan gets in the air and travels. Xx

As I am new to this I am seeking as much advice as possible. It's confusing because I have gone through sooooooo many threads on here and some say that overspray can be very minimal, even without an extractor fan, whilst some say the fans are necessary to minimise it.

I'm simply trying to provide as much information as possible about my situation so that people with more experience can provide me with their opinions. It's very difficult to get a definite/majority rules type answer as I am finding many conflicting opinions and information sources.

Latest posts

Back