How busy are you all with tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe theyll start pushing their brands to raise their profile more or come out with some new anti ageing, ass reducing, tummy firming, gerard butler attracting solution?

Love it :D x

I also think people who really like a permanent tan are going back to sunbeds.They have some fantastic ones now with iPod docks and changing colour lights and they are cheaper than a spray tan.Youngsters don't worry about ageing and skin cancer.

I'm not massively busy with tans at the moment, but i do the full range of beauty so i don't notice it as much. I use sienna x and charge £20.

My tanning clients are always for a special occasion (usually a wedding or big night out) or just before a holiday. I don't have any regular tanning fanatics. Perhaps i should have go at boosting it for people that do wear tans a lot. I love the membership idea, or maybe a student discount? xx

If I only did tans I'd prob be busier but I prefer my other treatments so these I push.
I find doing tans a chore, putting bed and nail desk away, putting tent up, cleaning tent after, putting in down, getting bed n table back out...so I don't push tans.
However when the weather brightens I may be more motivated to push it as I do enjoy actually doing them once I'm set up. X

I think tanning is a funny one... Clients can get the same look from boots/super drug etc for a cheaper price and theres not much risk of it going wrong with a gradual building tan and most people arrange their nights out with notice it seems these days as theres so much that goes into a night out they need to give themselves a full months worth of preping haha x

You should of seen my knees after one application with a gradual tan bright orange and that was after all the correct prep and only using the last little dregs that was on my hands just to give a bit of colour

I have been mobile tanning for nearly 3 years and this past year has been a funny one. I am always ticking over I would say I have about 100 clients that use me at least once every 2 months on average so this keeps the work steady. But I have definately seen a change in peoples habits, people that tanned once a week have now gone to fortnightly and those that were fortnightly might have a tan once a month or for a special occasion.

When I first started I would regularly have weeks where I tanned at least 25-30 people now those kind of weeks are few and far between.

I also dont get as many new enquiries anymore, its like the buzz of spray tanning has died down a bit. Added to that people are skint and monitor their spending a lot more, I have had weeks myself where its a case of having my hair done or having to struggle with my weekly food shop so our clients must have times like that aswell.

Ive been really busy with tans, averaging 15-20 per week ( I do everything not just tans) I charge £17.50 for a tan I've got 12 regulars that I see every 2 weeks, I've done 11 tans today.
How about loyalty cards? Or have x amount of tans and get 1 free?
I get all my girls to tag me in their pictures if they've gone out an I've done there tans/eyelashes/make up etc then I comment in them saying how lovely they look an that the tan/eyelashes/make up etc really suits them, I usually get a comment back along the lines of "thank you, love my (treatment) you did a great job" or words to that effect, that helps bring in new enquiries from their friends!
May be worth doing something like that? Xxxx

I have only been trained since may and only really confident in the last 6 months, I dont push it too much as Shellac basically gives me all I need but I would like to do more tanning.

I don't feel its my forte but then I don't do enough to be amazing at it! Tough call really!

I may do another load of friends and then really push it before "summer" if there is one this year.

I charge £25 or £20 if there are 4 or more of you, thats the going rate for my area.

I did a promo of 2 people for £30 and it went well, not amazing but well. We know there is a good profit in tanning so it's a shame if it is dying out. I think if I had a room dedicated to it I would drop the price and hoard them in but for me in my little rrom getting the tent out, spraying, cleaning and setting up for the next client takes me nearly an hour so I'd lose out.

I started off as tanning only now have my own salon with tanning room, this week done bout 15 so not bad :)

Think the key is get a good reputation! Make ur clients feel at ease and deliver. If they aren't coming back, ask why not ? Be prepared tho as sometimes answer not nice. :(

I used to only stock sienna but now I stock LA too, got lots more clients that originally disliked sienna. Ensure to stock different "shades" and consult ur client, understand what will suit who. Practice for half price on people on a Tuesday then rest of week their work mates will enquire about it.

Also loyalty cards - absolute winner ;) majority of people that get beauty treatments will try a tan, Defo worth it money wise so persevere :) cxxxxxx

Tanning in the salon has always stayed popular for me, I really love doing the tans to and make sure people get a very high quality service..... soooo many say 'I've never had this level of service before' lols I love hearing that makes me try harder to be even better

Top Tips

1. great tan you love, consider the fast developing ones - women are mega busy and love things quick

2. consider your pricing very carefully - dont do it if you dont make a clear profit - I'm slightly pricier than a lot of salons locally but not over expensive

3. bargain hunters will go to the next bargain - consider the long term and catching and keeping the right kind of customer

4. treat them like a queen from the moment then enter the salon, welcome them in, use their first name, make them comfortable, have a warm cosy tanning room that smells nice and looks clean, have all their disposables out, do a consultation, talk them through the tanning process before the tan, put them at ease, make them feel comfortable with you, show them room, where everything is, give them time to change and relax, distract them during tanning so they feel comfortable, chat to them, listen to them, address their concerns, make sure your tan technique is amazing, give them time to dry, cleanse down hands and nails - cuticle oil nails, talk them through aftercare, give them printed material on aftercare, follow up on facebook how they liked it use the tan photos, thank them for being a customer...love them up and they will love you back

5. distinguish your tanning experience from competitors... see point 4 lol

I started off as tanning only now have my own salon with tanning room, this week done bout 15 so not bad :)

Think the key is get a good reputation! Make ur clients feel at ease and deliver. If they aren't coming back, ask why not ? Be prepared tho as sometimes answer not nice. :(

I used to only stock sienna but now I stock LA too, got lots more clients that originally disliked sienna. Ensure to stock different "shades" and consult ur client, understand what will suit who. Practice for half price on people on a Tuesday then rest of week their work mates will enquire about it.

Also loyalty cards - absolute winner ;) majority of people that get beauty treatments will try a tan, Defo worth it money wise so persevere :) cxxxxxx

like the tuesday idea!!!

with your tans do you price differently?

Well I took my leaflets to weightwatchers & the leader said I couldn't leave them there?

Thought this was a bit unfair really considering I go every week & pay to get weighed. Wouldn't have hurt to just leave a handful on the table! Cow! I don't want to just leave them incase she chucks them in the bin because its a waste!

My website is nearly finished now, can I pm any geeks the website address & get your comments on it? would rather pm than post it on here until its finished as still got a bit of tweaking to do!

I do all the extras as mentioned, hair net, sticky feet, barrier cream, skin prep wipes, wiping palms, nails etc.. after care leaflet. Most clients do comment how professional I am with all the extras.

I charge £15 for a tan so not overly expensive probably just middle of the road pricing.

xx

Well I took my leaflets to weightwatchers & the leader said I couldn't leave them there?

Thought this was a bit unfair really considering I go every week & pay to get weighed. Wouldn't have hurt to just leave a handful on the table! Cow! I don't want to just leave them incase she chucks them in the bin because its a waste!

My website is nearly finished now, can I pm any geeks the website address & get your comments on it? would rather pm than post it on here until its finished as still got a bit of tweaking to do!

I do all the extras as mentioned, hair net, sticky feet, barrier cream, skin prep wipes, wiping palms, nails etc.. after care leaflet. Most clients do comment how professional I am with all the extras.

I charge £15 for a tan so not overly expensive probably just middle of the road pricing.

xx

you have to lush them up a bit to get them to allow you to leave them

try a little charm and offer to promote her

you kinda have to nurture these types of relationships a little

I do, LA tan is £15 and sienna x is £18 but most people say keep the twenty ;)

Tanning is still massive and i agree people want to do it themselves but if u Get really good at it customers will get them for special occasions and wen feeling flush :)

If u do get different strengths of solution practice ur lingo lol, with LA I have 10,12,14,18% and sienna 6,8,10,12,16. La is browner and sienna more golden, younger people in general get LA as pref it but think price helps! I've got little speel and both posters up on walls. I always have a tan on at weekends and often change brand so wen I'm doing nails il talk about whatever one I'm wearing. Tell ur other clients that ur really pickin up with tans then the seeds planted and they will want in on it ;)

Try and push it as u will get so busy with weddings in summer, u won't regret it ;) good luck! Xxxxz

Ps I'd have been bit peeved off at WW too!!! Xxxx

Why don't you do like a tanning membership. Like the gym! It's £xx a month and you can have as many tans as you like! I pay £50 a month for the gym and have been 5 times this year :/

Just put up the tanning membership on my fb page 20 mins ago had 2 people enquire already thanks for the idea xx

Latest posts

Back