How can I compete?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade2629

Reaction score
Hi guys I used to have a very good rep where I used to live and got loads of clients but I moved house back in August 2 hours away once we was all settled in and I was set up I started advertising and got a few people interested until they asked how much I charge for gel polish that's when they say to me don't worry or I will get back to you, I have now found out that a couple of ladies that live in the housing patches with me also do nails but at a much cheaper rate and have been here longer then me(I may have to add that I live in a marriage quarter next to a military base). Could anyone give me some advice or tips on what I could do to get clients again
Thanks in advance xx

Can you try training in other areas such as spray tanning and other beauty treatments, then do package deals?... Don't undersell yourself though x

I can as I really want to expand but the lady that lives opposite me does nails lashes eyebrows waxing and spray tans so I would be competing with her and yeah I don't want to undersell myself I have already put up a Halloween/Autumn offer on nails I just don't know what else I can do x

What about looking outside the military base? Working in a local salon or a few miles away?
You need to build your business again and earn yourself a rep but it's going to be hard with so much completion on your doorstep so I can see imagine how distracted you are [emoji53] x

Yeah I want to go mobile so I can go outside of the military patch but I don't drive at the moment which means I am stuck as we are in the middle of nowhere (I'm learning though) and yeah it's hard I post on pages I think it is just the price I have compared to the other ladies round here x

I'm in a similar position, very interested to hear other ideas also, I haven't started marketing yet as I'm still in planning but my goal is to differentiate myself by focussing on really selling my skills, particularly with quality of structure, getting very specific with my niche/skill-set. Going by what's around me I have only been impressed by one other tech, there are maybe 15 nail salons in my "town" (maybe 50,000 people on the outskirts of a major metropolitan city which is still technically part of it, but isolated from it by farmland). I've noticed that those techs that just offer cheap and quick services do list prices, but those that are clearly more skilled don't list even what their services are let alone prices. I don't like not being upfront, so I list mine and prices, and will targeting my marketing to very specific parts of town that have large properties with bigger houses which *should* mean higher/more disposable incomes. I dug into the census data for just my part of town (about a quarter of the local population) and found that there should be enough women with enough income to consider ongoing enhancement services, I'm re-writing my menu atm to really aim for them and them only, make it aspirational almost. Possibly there are wealthier areas nearby that you could aim for? There's some excellent info on setting prices in this episode of The Nail Hub so I'm looking at that also. Hope this helps, good luck poppet x

Ok, learning to drive is a must this is when you can start doing something about your situation. Until then your going to struggle love.
Ok so a recent business meeting with a business adviser proved that if your prices are too low you will scare people off. Just as an example I drove passed a local salon and they were offering kids cuts for £2.50 sayyyyyy whattttttt! Never would I lower myself to that price. It screams desperation and as a mum I would be worried about them taking an ear too!
Stick at it ask friends what they would pay for your services. ....and eventually you will get there x

Yeah I am learning in my own car and in an instructors so in hoping I will pass soon x

I'm in a similar position, very interested to hear other ideas also, I haven't started marketing yet as I'm still in planning but my goal is to differentiate myself by focussing on really selling my skills, particularly with quality of structure, getting very specific with my niche/skill-set. Going by what's around me I have only been impressed by one other tech, there are maybe 15 nail salons in my "town" (maybe 50,000 people on the outskirts of a major metropolitan city which is still technically part of it, but isolated from it by farmland). I've noticed that those techs that just offer cheap and quick services do list prices, but those that are clearly more skilled don't list even what their services are let alone prices. I don't like not being upfront, so I list mine and prices, and will targeting my marketing to very specific parts of town that have large properties with bigger houses which *should* mean higher/more disposable incomes. I dug into the census data for just my part of town (about a quarter of the local population) and found that there should be enough women with enough income to consider ongoing enhancement services, I'm re-writing my menu atm to really aim for them and them only, make it aspirational almost. Possibly there are wealthier areas nearby that you could aim for? There's some excellent info on setting prices in this episode of The Nail Hub so I'm looking at that also. Hope this helps, good luck poppet x
Thanks yeah I could but only thing is where I live(military quarter) we are about 20-30 minute car ride away from the closest town we have a very small village about 5-10 minute drive but the village is mainly a church, primary school, stables and a pub I will still looking into where the wealthier areas are but when I look at my prices list the prices I have on there are the norm from back where I'm from (2hours away) x

I really feel for you. That's hard, particularly as you were running a successful business in your previous area. As the Geeks have already said, the driving is the major thing for you. It is worth looking at broadening your skill set.... What are your competitors NOT offering, what's the 'next big thing' going to be. I would also say, high wealth areas / clients don't always mean high spending. Some of my wealthiest clients are also my tightest, whereas some of my biggest spending clients are cleaners and bar maids! You never can tell who the clients are that will spend.... and what you need is the clients who are regular repeats. Not the ones stretching 8 weeks out of their nails! Get that driving licence and start talking to businesses further afield.... lots of networking and marketing. Good luck :) x

I really feel for you. That's hard, particularly as you were running a successful business in your previous area. As the Geeks have already said, the driving is the major thing for you. It is worth looking at broadening your skill set.... What are your competitors NOT offering, what's the 'next big thing' going to be. I would also say, high wealth areas / clients don't always mean high spending. Some of my wealthiest clients are also my tightest, whereas some of my biggest spending clients are cleaners and bar maids! You never can tell who the clients are that will spend.... and what you need is the clients who are regular repeats. Not the ones stretching 8 weeks out of their nails! Get that driving licence and start talking to businesses further afield.... lots of networking and marketing. Good luck :) x
Thanks Hun yeah I have been doing a bit of snooping on the other ladies pages to see what they don't offer and yeah I asked hubby if we could get an automatic car just so I can pass quicker but we don't have the money :-( but yeah driving is a big thing especially here because we are a bit always from town that the military patches are like a community but all the ladies here are sticking to who they know which is the ladies that have been here longer then me but I am gonna keep posting in the hope that I will get some ladies until I pass my driving then I will be happy as I can go mobile and into town, I do hair extensions as well but the handful of ladies round here already go to one of the other ladies that does hair extensions so it is really tough at the moment but yeah I defo want to widen my skill set x

How much lower are the prices from the others?
Because if reasonable I would charge less to build your busseniss again. For mobile services you can charge more because of the traveling.
Not to undersell yourself, but if the others offer the same quality for reasonable but lower prices then I would change the price, ofcourse not when it's so low that you can't make a profit, Then that would mean they don't have professional products and you make a difference by using better products.

There prices are £10 and they use shellac and gelish I charge about £15 for a full set of gellux nails they charge about £15-20 for acrylic and hard gel extensions I don't do acrylic so I only do gel polish and hard gel extensions which I charge £20 I think charging £10 for me is too low as I know I wouldn't make a profit x

I can as I really want to expand but the lady that lives opposite me does nails lashes eyebrows waxing and spray tans so I would be competing with her and yeah I don't want to undersell myself I have already put up a Halloween/Autumn offer on nails I just don't know what else I can do x
Jade!!! You have to look, learn, listen and be patient. What is that the other ladies are doing. Once you see their work and understand what their USP is - you then find yours and differentiate yourself totally. You make sure that what makes you different is what YOU wear on fingers and toes so that when people see you.. they notice.

Don't go for the hard sell - just keep creating your 'signature looks' and believe me... they will come. Once you have defined that look - when the other ladies try to copy - they will be copying and it will be obvious, where as you... have gone in with something unique to youy.

Could be rock star glitters, could be amazing enhancements.. could be signature manicures / pedicures with a difference - market yourself right and there is room for all.

Jade!!! You have to look, learn, listen and be patient. What is that the other ladies are doing. Once you see their work and understand what their USP is - you then find yours and differentiate yourself totally. You make sure that what makes you different is what YOU wear on fingers and toes so that when people see you.. they notice.

Don't go for the hard sell - just keep creating your 'signature looks' and believe me... they will come. Once you have defined that look - when the other ladies try to copy - they will be copying and it will be obvious, where as you... have gone in with something unique to youy.

Could be rock star glitters, could be amazing enhancements.. could be signature manicures / pedicures with a difference - market yourself right and there is room for all.

Thanks Mrs geek, the only thing I do different to the other ladies is I do glitters,pigment powders and I do stamping the other ladies don't do this which I am using to my advantage by putting up Halloween/Autumn style design nails up so they can see and because I get bored easily I change my nails every other week so I am always doing my nails to stand out I am just hoping that it will all pay off but I'm not gonna give up x

Why dont you offer new clients a discount on their first two visits that brings the price down to compete. Am sure that after two visits with you they may become regulars even once price goes up. Sometimes you have to sacrifice profit to gain in the long term. Good luck x

Why dont you offer new clients a discount on their first two visits that brings the price down to compete. Am sure that after two visits with you they may become regulars even once price goes up. Sometimes you have to sacrifice profit to gain in the long term. Good luck x

I think I may do a discount I did a Xmas offer last year and will be doing that again this year so I'm hoping that will bring in the clients x

What's working for you so far, lessthanthree?

For pricing, one thing I've found really helpful is thinking of the real result people are buying...

For example, I once had a wedding photographer client and asked her "What are you really selling?" Her first answer, of course, was photos. But why are people willing to pay for wedding photos? Because they want timeless memories. That's what they're really buying.

Similarly, you can ask yourself why women are really coming into get their nails done (or any other service you offer). For example, if you want to work with teenage gals getting ready for school dances, you can find out where they often go to get their hair done and partner up with them. Because you'd be helping the gals get ready for something specific, you become a go-to person for that and other nail salons start feeling pretty generic.

Sunni

Latest posts

Back