How can I encourage clients to use different stylists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsSmith123

Reaction score
I have a situation in my salon where my partner (director) is so fully booked. He is doing 12 hour days everyday. He is sometimes doing 6 or 7 days a week also.

My other stylists are busy but have some room for more clients.

I want to encourage clients to use other member of my team. We have already increased his prices 3 times and this doesn't seem to make a difference!!!

Has anyone else has the same problem (I appreciate its a good problem to have)? How can I encourage clients to move over to new stylists?

We have discussed the idea that he will no longer do any colour services. Handing these over completely to the other stylists means he can still see all his clients but it also fills our other stylists up. However every time I try to write an announcement to explain this change to the clients it does sound right?

Any suggestions!?

His prices up immediately.

When you are that busy, it needs to become a premium platinum service that only those who have the money can afford. People that want the best of the best.

Those that can no longer afford it, personalise every experience so they end up with a stylist that is right for them. Recommend them personally and introduce them.

Make it fun, make a quiz so they can choose the stylist by their experimental level, colour choices, personality, quite/chatty, and most importantly budget.

Also stop booking him back to back. Give him some time off. Make him difficult to get an appointment with. He’s not got any openings at the moment, was it for a blow dry? Such and such is who you need they will be perfect for you what day is best? Market him that way, as an expensive, only for the rich clients and it will repay you tenfold.

Hi
This is only a good problem to have if you address it fairly quickly! Otherwise will become your biggest risk.

Here’s some ideas I’ve seen before:

So I agree, put his prices up significantly.
But also put up the prices of your next one or two best stylists, to the level that your partner is currently charging. So the clients your partner loses feel they’re going to an equivalent level.

Also, and you may be doing this already, but ensure he has an assistant that looks after his clients (and him) so freeing him up as much as possible during each client visit. So he’s not taking them to and from the basin, to and from the reception, getting him drinks etc. His runner.

Pass the colouring part of the service to a colourist.

Also, accept no new clients for him.

Finally, I’ve seen this approach before, although might not work for everyone: your partner says to certain of his clients that now they’ve been coming here for so long, he only needs to do the actual cut every other time and that his very trusted style director will look after them the other times.

Latest posts

Back