How can I tone down my hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangehair

Reaction score
Hello helpful pros

Please ignore my username, that’s a throwback to a previous colouring problem which I got some great advice about last year. I think I must have awkward hair to colour!

This time I have the opposite problem and my hair has been over lightened but mainly just at the roots and around my face. My natural hair is about a level 3 and in an ideal world I’d like it to be a blend of 6 and 7 maybe. Not sure if I’ve got the levels right but something similar to Jennifer Anniston’s highlighted dark blonde hair.

I’d say that most of my hair is similarish to that but my roots are a lot lighter (8 or even 9) and verging on grey because they’re so ashy. I told the stylist I really didn’t want brassy hair and that my hair goes brassy very eas (see username) and she definitely took that on board! She lightened my roots first and then toned with an ashy toner. I think maybe the new hair was lightened too far before the toner was put on?

I know the easiest way to fix this would be to ask her to help but she’s so busy with Christmas and lockdown and I don’t want to take up more of her time which I wouldn’t want to pay for.

Are there any products I could use at home to tone the light bits to a darker blonde and blend it all together so that I no longer look like I have an upside down balayage?

I would be so so grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thank you!

It’s against the rules to provide colour advice to an untrained person so I can’t advise you how to correct your colour at home. However, toners are meant to be temporary so you will need to speak to your colourist about maintaining your colour long term. I’m sure she will be happy to advise you further.

It’s against the rules to provide colour advice to an untrained person so I can’t advise you how to correct your colour at home. However, toners are meant to be temporary so you will need to speak to your colourist about maintaining your colour long term. I’m sure she will be happy to advise you further.
Hello, thanks very much for your reply. I understand you can’t advise on actual colouring, I just wondered if there’s some kind of product like a shampoo which I could try? I know that blue shampoos can help with brassiness for example and just hoped there might be something similar which just tones down hair which is a bit too ash/blonde.

If your roots are a different colour to the rest of your hair, you need to get your stylist to correct this. There's no shampoo that magically knows how to 'fix' only part of the hair, if that makes sense?

If it's just been done, I'd contact her right away, so she knows there's a problem. She will know what she's used and be able to advise.

Lastly, if this is a recurring issue, you would probably find it better if you stuck to the same stylist. If someone knows your hair and gets to know what you're expectations are, you should find it much easier, and you will be less likely to have issues like this.

If your roots are a different colour to the rest of your hair, you need to get your stylist to correct this. There's no shampoo that magically knows how to 'fix' only part of the hair, if that makes sense?

If it's just been done, I'd contact her right away, so she knows there's a problem. She will know what she's used and be able to advise.

Lastly, if this is a recurring issue, you would probably find it better if you stuck to the same stylist. If someone knows your hair and gets to know what you're expectations are, you should find it much easier, and you will be less likely to have issues like this.
Thank you for replying. I have been going to the same stylist for nearly 2 years and it was the same stylist who turned my hair brassy last time. She corrected it that time and I think she was so concerned with it not going brassy this time that it’s gone too far the other way.

She seems to be a good stylist though so I can only assume my hair is awkward to colour!

Some people naturally have more 'warm' tones in their hair than others, but if you've been visiting her for 2 years, I'd have hoped she'd have got to grips with it by now!

I assume u have your colour done regularly? Does she typically get the colour right, but on these couple of occasions it's not been so good? If it's never right for you, then it's maybe time to find a new stylist.

Some people naturally have more 'warm' tones in their hair than others, but if you've been visiting her for 2 years, I'd have hoped she'd have got to grips with it by now!

I assume u have your colour done regularly? Does she typically get the colour right, but on these couple of occasions it's not been so good? If it's never right for you, then it's maybe time to find a new stylist.
I definitely seem to have very warm tones which aren’t noticeable until you try to lighten my hair. I always say this to stylists but have almost always ended up with an unwanted brassy sheen.

The current stylist did the best job anybody has ever done the first time I went. She really listened and I loved the result. The next time she did it my hair went quite orangey and she admitted she hadn’t made any notes last time and had guessed at what to do.

She fixed it and took on board the problem and I went back a couple of times with results which were ok - not brassy like other stylists which was great but never as good as the first time. This is the 5th time she's done my hair and I think maybe she's just so worried about it going brassy and having to correct it again that she just goes as ashy as possible. It would be ok if it were a bit of a darker blonde, it's just the fact that the roots seem to have lightened more than usual this time and are lighter than the rest of my hair.

I would usually get my colour done more regularly than this (lockdown) but I think you're right that at the 5th attempt it shouldn't be going wrong even if some of the visits have been several months apart? Two visits going wrong out of five probably suggests that I should find someone else!

I just always seem to end up with brassy hair no matter which salon I go to though. I never thought I'd have a problem with it being too ashy!

Latest posts

Back