How can we help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I've got this correct. You've got a spare room that you want to turn into a salon but you must have a sofa bed for guests?

I'm gonna be tough here............it's either a salon or a guest room. Fair enough, a sofa in there will still look good as the room is so big. However, that's it...........nothing else that gives the impression that it's anything other than a salon.

You need to chuck/give/store/sell the rest of the items in the room and start with a clean canvas. Then, put back into the middle of the room ONLY the items that you will use in your salon. For example, wax pots, polishes, etc etc. NOT, your family filing system and Uncle Ernies ashes. Give the room a good clean and decide on the style of the salon and stick with it.

If the room needs painting then paint it. You can get a huge tub of White or creame from B&Q, but coloured paint isn't always that more expensive. Choose your colour carefully sa it's a salon, not a bedroom anymore.

Think BUSINESS not hobby. GOD !!!! Am I turning into Ruth Badger? Be honest. LOL. x
Dear Ruth Badger :wink2:, problem is I have nowhere else to put up guests and money is limited. I understand where you are coming from and in an ideal world I would love for it to be an ideal salon.

The free standing chest of drawers and wardrobe cost us a small fortune and as we have no built in cupboards, they won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

Are there other therapists on salon geek in a similar situation? I would be interested in your thoughts on this too please.

Overall, this is something I will have to build up slowly. I still have the 9 week summer holidays ahead of me, followed by 8 months of training where I will only have a limited number of private clientele. Only then when I am a very, very, very wealthy therapist :green: will I be able to afford a HUGE mansion with my very own private salon, lol. In my dreams.

Dear Ruth Badger :wink2:, problem is I have nowhere else to put up guests and money is limited. I understand where you are coming from and in an ideal world I would love for it to be an ideal salon.

The free standing chest of drawers and wardrobe cost us a small fortune and as we have no built in cupboards, they won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

Are there other therapists on salon geek in a similar situation? I would be interested in your thoughts on this too please.

Overall, this is something I will have to build up slowly. I still have the 9 week summer holidays ahead of me, followed by 8 months of training where I will only have a limited number of private clientele. Only then when I am a very, very, very wealthy therapist :green: will I be able to afford a HUGE mansion with my very own private salon, lol. In my dreams.
Ok, so how about doing a lovely paint effect on the drawers and wardrobe and storing your salons stuff in them. You could have shelves put in the wardrobe and then have the doors open with all of your retail in there on display. So rather than the salon being clinical, it can be shabby chic style.

Then when guests come to stay, you can remove the shelves and it's a wardrobe again. Waddya reckon?

Partition the room & make sure the bed & wardrobe are behind it out of view of clients.
2 x 2 & plasterboard costs very little, good luck

Tracey - why not get one of those trendy room dividers so you can keep your guest room stuff separate from your salon stuff.

I have seen a nice japanese style one somewhere - will see if I can find it for you:

Hang on a min:

athena do some nice ones to

Ok, so how about doing a lovely paint effect on the drawers and wardrobe and storing your salons stuff in them. You could have shelves put in the wardrobe and then have the doors open with all of your retail in there on display. So rather than the salon being clinical, it can be shabby chic style.

Then when guests come to stay, you can remove the shelves and it's a wardrobe again. Wadya reckon?
Thank you Kimmi. I think this is the way it will have to be until I can afford to zoop it up. Shabby chic is good. xx

Partition the room & make sure the bed & wardrobe are behind it out of view of clients.
2 x 2 & plasterboard costs very little, good luck
Thank you. It will only have a bed present when guests stay but even then the bed can be folded away each day when I'm working.

Thank you oey. I've had a look and found loads more on google. I like this idea.

athena do some nice ones to
Do you have a link please tonilee. I googled athena/screens but got loads about the greek goddess, lol.

I've made the decision NOT to go into Yellow Pages but I've done the free listing on Yell.com There isn't enough evidence to convince me it's worth the money.

Funny but the lovely girl that had been hounding me wasn't so lovely when I said that I won't be going ahead. She put the phone down so quickly, I couldn't make out if she said 'Bye' or 'Bitch'. xxx

I've made the decision NOT to go into Yellow Pages but I've done the free listing on Yell.com There isn't enough evidence to convince me it's worth the money.

Funny but the lovely girl that had been hounding me wasn't so lovely when I said that I won't be going ahead. She put the phone down so quickly, I couldn't make out if she said 'Bye' or 'Bitch'. xxx

pmsl.......

I've actually put my business on the back burner for a bit, due to one thing and another, and am just getting the odd client by word of mouth. My husband is self employed and in the last 3 months has more than doubled his client base with a free Yell.com listing.

I seem to be bucking the trend here but my YP ads have always more than covered their cost for me.

2005-2006 Profit of 5 X ad cost (although first time advertiser discount taken)
2006-2007 Profit of 3 X ad cost
2007-2008 YP published mid April, already 30% of ad cost recouped
Yell.com enhance listing Profit 2 X ad cost

So for me the YP works...... As a mobile I use it as my shop front - my ad is big, bold, full colour, professional and expensive!!! But it gives the impression of me that I want....

What hasn't worked for me? Thomson Local ad (only just covered it's costs), Leaflet drops (brought me diddly squat), a School Fete program (didn't cover costs)......

hth's

Latest posts

Back