How cheap are the 'cheap' NSS?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How cheap is cheap...at the NSS?

• Total voters
I cant beleive england is so cheep!!! N.Ireland prices are crazy the most you can pay in a salon is £80. and the min is £35 people doing the odd hommer will charge £30 but all infills are £20. No backfills are carried out afer 2infills you get a new set on.

I cant beleive england is so cheep!!! N.Ireland prices are crazy the most you can pay in a salon is £80. and the min is £35 people doing the odd hommer will charge £30 but all infills are £20. No backfills are carried out afer 2infills you get a new set on.

what even if there is nothing wrong with them...??...why a new set every 2 fills....?

£80....hey I'm moving over...have a spare room..??:)

ok before i knew any better I USED THEM.. i would now not even step past one.. this is how they did it here...

Drill to remove cuticle and shape and remove shin of nail..
Glue tip on.. cut down... 1 bead all over.. orange stick (yes the same one for everyone) to poke out any excess acrylic..
Drill to reshape and buff and shine..

45 mins later DONE!!!! oh and i could have up to 3 people (yes i said 3) doing this

I also used to use an NSS in Dartford, Kent, before I got fed up with them and decided to get trained. I too used to have between 1 and 3 "technicians" working on my nails at any given time. Drill to the nail plate to remove horizontal ridges in my nails (they have been much worse following the removal of the MMA and have never really recovered). Rings of fire to die for.

Electric file bits were never sterlised between clients. "Techs" never washed their hands and I was only asked to wash mine after filing completed and covered in dust.

P&W in there was also by airbrush and as far as I am aware they still operate that way. I have since done a couple of ladies who use the same salon and they were told they had gel, but funnily enough the gel was made by dipping brush in a liquid and then in a powder!!!! I would most definitely say this was acrylic that I saw on her nails, but she do this day says she has gel nails.

I have a friend who uses a different NSS in Sidcup, Kent, and she will not come to me as it takes too long and she can't walk in when she wants to as in my salon we work by appointment mainly. Was chatting with her about her nails the other day and about her salon and she advises that they are getting there on the hygiene front and that they now use barbicide and sterilise their drill bits between clients and that they get you to wash before and after, however the techs don't so a bit of a waste of time really. Nice to see that at least one NSS is trying to up their game. But they still use MMA and still don't meet local council guidelines.

well most of the nss by me charge 20-25 but there is one who always has an offer on for full set for £15 (youngs nails?) however there is one salon in southport where last year they were charging £10 for a set!! and so when i went in to book and was waiting to be told they were booked for weeks (yet i got an appointment a day later ) it should have started alarm bells ringing but never mind i know better now dont it lol

also we have one place that charge £35- £40 but i think they are classed as a 'proper' salon but i have my doubts , and so did my poor nails when theyd finished with them rofl

nicky

I used to go to an NSS in Heaton Moor in Stockport, and to be honest up until wanting to become a tech i never knew they were doing anything wrong!!! £25 full set £19 infills you can have air brush or pink and whites and they are £30.

Reading on this site has taught me that they are so not professional!

The infills were always bumpy with air patches, or i mean where the old set had lifted a bit, and they hadnt removed the lift correctly, they had just gone over with acrylic. (I know there is probably lots of technical words i should be using for this, but just you watch me after my training geeks!!! :lol: )

But this woman is so popular in my area, and it is a nice area too, she is always packed, but maybe there is nothing to compare it too for people. Her whole family including her husband are in on it, and they cant speak english hardly so it is difficult if they hurt you. you would have the wife then the husband then the daughter working on you throughout the application!!!

Cant wait to learn PROPERLY!!!!

Ok here in peckham, south London (a couple of bars) full set... wait for it......13 and infills 10. can anyone beat that?
And they are not busy (except sat)
For them to make what I charge (40, which is cost effect) is 3-4 hours work. Why does anyone think they should try to compete with their level of work?

£25-30.00
Surrey

Following on from Nailzoo's poll about why some clients seem to prefer and frequent the NSS, it seems from a lot of votes that it is potentially cost driven.

So, I'm intrigued as to how much they are charging your area for, say, a full set of P&W, in L&P.

Poll added for the costs, but please add what area you are from as well.
i dont know how our money crosses over but here in texas if you go to a shopping mall they are $18.00 a set and down the road here they are 25.00 for plain and 35.00 for solar nails so what are they using for the 25.00 set, they charge 20 for refills on the solar. they are taking over the larger towns here and all over the states girls are fighting for their right to charge what they are worth. they have driven down what we charge due to the fact that they are so fast in and out, most people i have asked that go to them dont care or think about the fact that they might be unwanted product used or cleanliness issues they just want cheap and fast.:smack: i know it hurts my business daily, pedicures are 18-25.00 and i refuse to do them for that cheap as well as my nails.

What does nss mean?x

Hi Becky - it means Non Standard Salon. A salon that doesn't use branded products and most likely doesn't adhere to good hygiene methods. Do a quick search in the forums for "what is NSS" - I'm sure you'll find lots of other threads that will give you more detail. HTH Linds x

I'm in Gosport and the one I'm thinking of my sister used to go to.

They aren't cheap, £28 which is about the going rate in our area, but are very quick, about 45 mins - 1 hour, which is why my sister said she used to go to them.

I say my sister used to go to them, that is until after telling her a million time NOT to go there, she had to have her mind made up only by having the most painful nails once they had been taken off. Totally trashed isn't the word, they were paper thin, ridged, red and sore. I did want to say 'I told you so' but thought a bottle of solar oil might be a better way to go about gaining a new client when I do pass my course :)

xx

MMA again:irked: never go to them or intend to but Norwich i think last time i glanced was 27 quid not sure about any more ..a friend of mine was going go to them changed her mind when she read the stiky petition when round mine one evening & having her manicure .....i usually pay 45 quid for mine(sculpted L&P P&W) from Creative trained Nail Tech ..10 quid for rebalance\infills (for being a reg) ..bekki stiky MMA petition might tell u a bit about them on the forum at top of page & as others say type in search

Last edited:
Following on from Nailzoo's poll about why some clients seem to prefer and frequent the NSS, it seems from a lot of votes that it is potentially cost driven.

So, I'm intrigued as to how much they are charging your area for, say, a full set of P&W, in L&P.

Poll added for the costs, but please add what area you are from as well.

Last I heard the cheapest was £18 but today I saw for £10.

hi

well the place in wickford highstreet essex is £32 for proper pink and whites and I thinkit was £28 for clear and fench airbrush. I want to know why these salons havent been shut down. They damage your natural nails and never do any prep or cleaning of anything. Yuck.

We have recently had a NSS open, in the last few months, and they are not as cheap as say in Sydney.

The prices here are : Fullset / p & w ( tip only ) $65.00, infills ( which is take off acrylic by drilling the crap out of your nailbeds, then using an instrument / picker to lift the remaining acrylic off, which is very painful ) is $45.00

All their products are in clear no label containers ( shock... )
and I have seen them sitting at their nail stations doing their own nails / toe nails

I have also witnessed them using the same file/ nippers / etc..

I spoke to our local health dept, who had no idea they were opening, so I gave him some information re: MMA, again, he had no idea what I was talking about. ?? :twisted:

Unfortunately, regardless of the education, ppl will continue to use these salons/sweatshops..
( that is what I see them as )

I'm in the southampton area & they charge £25-£30.

One of my clients got a fungal infection in one from having a pedicure :eek: just shows there hygiene standards & get this, my husbands cousin worked in one , in which they trained her & had her doing customers with no qualifications just the training they gave her:grr: she now thinks she is a qualified nail tech & is doing clients mobile, its scary!

It's £15 at my local:eek:

However, Pink & White means airbrushed in there!
yeah its £15 at ours too were in west yorks and there are loads of them in this area, they work like little machines!!!!:twisted:

£20 inc nail art here in northampton. one place charges only £15 if you are under 16. and you can smoke in the salon too, how luxurious:lol:
LOL I bet the under 16's go there for the smoking :D

Latest posts

Back