How deep are your salon smiles??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too do more of a natural curve rather than a mega deep smile, a couple of clients who have longer nail plates have there's a little deeper because they suit the nail.

rach your not doing your smiles wrong at all they are nice and naturally curvy..... please don't think they nails you've had done for holidays are what to aim for, these I regard as lazy tech's work (sorry if that sounds harsh, but they are) stick with how you work xx
exactly what i was thinking..recently noticed how pretty your smiles are in your gallery!

I have one client who likes her smiles to be really straight and I find it really difficult to do! I like a natural curve on clients just below their own smile but I always do a rebalance every time. I think its just pure laziness not to! I do like doing deep smiles on nail beds that suit it and can take it though, I think it looks dramatic and fab!

I could never find anyone to do my nails the way I liked them so I practiced until I can do them on myself. The last time I went (Feb) I had heard about these great techs so I booked in for a set of boogie nights. There nails were no better than mine but they placed my smile line too high. I have long nail beds so I had to wait 2 weeks for them to look normal and I was raging - I knew why clients could go so long without backfills.
I know who can get which smile line but with long nail beds I go deep - not ezflow comp deep but 'my hands are so pretty deep'

I also tend to follow the natural nail curve....I place the acrylic /gel just a hair above there own natural smile line to allow a bit of growth.....
I've never been asked to do them straight.....but probably would if asked to .....
Even if I did not like them....... and although it would be a reflection of my work , which I'd like to think is always good ....I don't personally have to look at them everyday so what do I care? ...
If the client is over the moon with them.....it can only lead to good things as she will tell everybody how pleased she is.....and they will be interested.....weather they are straight or not....and that can only mean more business for me ...

Personally, I prefer the super deep on myself with a nice c curve, but sometimes I like very a settle curve just depends on my mood. As far as clients it depends on their taste and nail shape mostly I do a slight curve. If you were to mirror my cuticles you would end up with straight lines on some of my nails. I don’t like the straight but really don’t see that at all around where I live. What do you mean a lazy tech’s smile line?

Maybe it’s just me, but if I am coming to a tech and I want my nails done a certain way and the tech wont and is not willing to compromise with me about what they feel would look best and what I want then Ill just go to another tech. I don’t care if the tech feels what might look better and what they want to do I am paying for a service.

All the same when I work on clients I may suggest things but it’s their nails their preference their paying for it and everyone has their own style. I like different looks.

I shape the smile line to compliment the client's nails and fingers, but they're usually medium-deep to deep. Here's my webpage gallery:
Gallery You can see all the different shapes of nails and the different smile lines that go with them :)

i really enjoyed looking at your work...very nice. x

Depends on the clients nails for me, unless custom blending, then you can go deep or not, as your client wants you to.

Have a client who has absolutely beautiful beds, she hates them and always gets me to place the white way too far down.....I hate doing it but she likes it that way....with curvy smiles although she could take deep.

I find it amazing how many of you would point blank refuse to do a straight smile if asked! I know it's not the most flattering but if a client asked for it . . .

If a client wanted red polish and you thought pink suited them better would you refuse to do the red?

I find it amazing how many of you would point blank refuse to do a straight smile if asked! I know it's not the most flattering but if a client asked for it . . .

If a client wanted red polish and you thought pink suited them better would you refuse to do the red?

i wouldn't have to point blank refuse....my powers of persuasion and manipulative ways would do that for me and they would change there mind and even think that it was there choice....:twisted:

Personally, I prefer the super deep on myself with a nice c curve, but sometimes I like very a settle curve just depends on my mood. As far as clients it depends on their taste and nail shape mostly I do a slight curve. If you were to mirror my cuticles you would end up with straight lines on some of my nails. I don’t like the straight but really don’t see that at all around where I live. What do you mean a lazy tech’s smile line?

Maybe it’s just me, but if I am coming to a tech and I want my nails done a certain way and the tech wont and is not willing to compromise with me about what they feel would look best and what I want then Ill just go to another tech. I don’t care if the tech feels what might look better and what they want to do I am paying for a service.

All the same when I work on clients I may suggest things but it’s their nails their preference their paying for it and everyone has their own style. I like different looks.

what I mean my lazy tech's work is, by placing the smile to far down the nail plate (doesn't have to straight) I feel this has been done in this case to avoid having to do a French re balance in 2 weeks, rach has normal nice nail plates and in this case the tech has given her a look (IMO) that doesn't flatter her, with a view to doing less work on the 'fill'

TBH I have only ever been asked for straight smiles once and like Angie said normally after I've explained that I didn't think it would suit the clients nails they have taken my advice,(as I do my hairdresser beautician etc) also its not a part of the service I normally ask the client, I ask about shape and length but not about the smiles, maybe I'm wrong doing this, but my nails have a 'look' and this is what brings me my clients,

I'm very flexible when it comes to nail art and do many designs that I don't feel flatter the nails, but as you have said sometimes we do have to give the client what they want, but I do make sure I have a good canvas to work on.

Question: do you want all your clients nails to have 'your' signature style?

I really don't want people to look at the nails that I do and say yeah, Cathie done them at Nail-Spa....I want them to think WOW they look good, where did you get them done, not that they look like XYZ salon's nails, I know where you had those done! They have to suit the individual and lifestyle....and the natural nails that they actually have.

Question: do you want all your clients nails to have 'your' signature style?

I really don't want people to look at the nails that I do and say yeah, Cathie done them at Nail-Spa....I want them to think WOW they look good, where did you get them done, not that they look like XYZ salon's nails, I know where you had those done! They have to suit the individual and lifestyle....and the natural nails that they actually have.

but cathie I'm sure people do look at your clients nails and know you've done them... BECAUSE they suit the client and are done well, not all my client have the same shape smile (lenght, colour,shape, form etc) the smile they have it what suits them,

but I do want my nails to have a style, and I am happy when someone knows I've done them xx
I guess we have to differ on this one xx

but cathie I'm sure people do look at your clients nails and know you've done them... BECAUSE they suit the client and are done well, not all my client have the same shape smile (lenght, colour,shape, form etc) the smile they have it what suits them,

but I do want my nails to have a style, and I am happy when someone knows I've done them xx
I guess we have to differ on this one xx
Aw I'm sure there in lies a compliment but I want my clients mates, family etc to think they have natural nails, not the ones from the NSS....we know their signature style and many salons just do the same old....I love to taylor the nails to the client and don't have a 'signature' style of design of p/w.......other than they don't lift after a few days and pop off...I love to be known for that!

Aw I'm sure there in lies a compliment but I want my clients mates, family etc to think they have natural nails, not the ones from the NSS....we know their signature style and many salons just do the same old....I love to taylor the nails to the client and don't have a 'signature' style of design of p/w.......other than they don't lift after a few days and pop off...I love to be known for that!

yeah there is a compliment, a signature style doesn't have to mean the same old, ie, nss white tip lot, it can mean BECAUSE they look natural and suit the client and they don't bloody fall off in 2 days , I've had this said !!
' I knew you'd done them because they lasted !!' having people know I've done these sort of nails is fine with me !!

gigi,anthony,etc have a signature style ... many people do, I just think as long as we are known for the right reasons its all good.

but I do see where you are coming from cathie.

Question: do you want all your clients nails to have 'your' signature style? yes....as I think my style is good....

Funny quick story ....I had a client who worked at a bank ..and she picked a certain polish and art that I had displayed.......well it was so popular quite a few clients picked it as well .... ...well they would run into each other at the bank/shopping/eating ....and they would look at one another's nails...smile..... laugh...and say Melissa?..... so a signature ...yes.....I like that they know it's me and others want what I can make/ give.....

I tend to do the smile lines differently depending on the nail length etc I do opt for the more curved smile line anyway but on some clients with longer nail beds I do go deeper with the curve.

Funny quick story ....I had a client who worked at a bank ..and she picked a certain polish and art that I had displayed.......well it was so popular quite a few clients picked it as well .... ...well they would run into each other at the bank/shopping/eating ....and they would look at one another's nails...smile..... laugh...and say Melissa?..... so a signature ...yes.....I like that they know it's me and others want what I can make/ give.....
had something similar happen- sitting behind and 2 rows above a lady who had beautiful nails, they were too "perfect" to be completely natural, suited her hands, I could rave- I wanted to lean forward and stare to figure out if they were real or enhanced but didn't want to get caught staring and have a total stranger think I was weird. She must have felt me staring because she turned around to look- we made eye contact, she waved and said "hi" I felt like a moron and a million bucks- she had been the model I used for a gel demo earlier in the week. Great on one hand- had myself wondering- complete DORK on the other that I didn't recognise my own work!!

yeah there is a compliment, a signature style doesn't have to mean the same old, ie, nss white tip lot, it can mean BECAUSE they look natural and suit the client and they don't bloody fall off in 2 days , I've had this said !!
' I knew you'd done them because they lasted !!' having people know I've done these sort of nails is fine with me !!

gigi,anthony,etc have a signature style ... many people do, I just think as long as we are known for the right reasons its all good.

but I do see where you are coming from cathie.

I see what you mean...I guess it depends on your interpretation of a signature style!

Here in the Isle of Man, everyone seems to have French look - not had one client with natural yet.

So far they dont appear to have an opinion on how they want their smiles they are happy to go with the flow. I tend to follow the natural nail and see what suits them best.

what I mean my lazy tech's work is, by placing the smile to far down the nail plate (doesn't have to straight) I feel this has been done in this case to avoid having to do a French re balance in 2 weeks, rach has normal nice nail plates and in this case the tech has given her a look (IMO) that doesn't flatter her, with a view to doing less work on the 'fill'

I have students that glue a white tip ½ way down their nail because they like having more white. With this I guess more a personal choice.

OH, I understand what you are saying and in this situation I agree.

Latest posts

Back