How did you all finance your business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damn girl!!!

that was such a great post. thanks for sharing your story!!! :D

Great story I think thats amazing encouragement for anyone out there. I too am a firm believer in working to get where you want to be and not being sucked into the latest trends etc.

I was employed from 18 and saved majority of my wages from the start, allowing maybe £20 a week to live on. I would do friends and family after work for extra money etc.

At 23 I began renting a room with no loans or debt and have expanded from there. Im not where I want to be yet but very focused in where Im heading. I have a salon with 4 treatment roomsand have reinvested almost everything for new treatments ideas and products and although I do have the occasional treat I dont buy new clothes shoes etc and do not have a TV at home. My fiance is of the same mentality we just grafting to get where we want to be

Keep going guys and girls anythings yours if you put your mind to it :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

What an inspiration you are Classixuk! Kind of makes me feel a bit better about not having had a holiday for 3 years and only replacing clothes when they've got too many noticeable holes to wear them anymore lol. One day it'll all be worth it :)

I saved every penny and worked all the hours God sent.

I would be in a salon working until 6pm and then did mobile too until 10pm including my day off and Sundays. That brought money in.

I cut out all unnecessary expenditure. To this day I still haven't bothered getting another mobile phone as I learned during that stage to live without one. I didn't have Sky. My car was falling apart. 'Dinner with friends' meant me going to Asda's reduced aisle and cooking whatever they had for "10p" and advising friends to bring a bottle when they came to my house. I had to read my food labels on my cans to discover what was in them as there were no fancy graphics or logos...it was 'supermarket basics'. I learned how to bake my own bread as it saved 40p per loaf. I didn't take any holidays. I didn't take any taxis. I wore the same 'clothes fashions' for about 2 years. I also skipped a few things that most people pay such as TV license and simply switched the TV off unless I was watching videos/DVDs. Even now I can cook a mean pasta with nothing except supermarket basics pasta, supermarket basics tomato soup and the reduced veg that nobody wants - enough for 4 days!

My mum was a single mum on benefits all my life and so we had no money. She was always in debt when we grew up and I was determined not to follow that route.

I opened my first 7 seater salon with nail desk and beauty room when I was 23 without any loans from the bank, grants from the government or credit card debts either. From day one it was all mine and funded from my savings.

I'm in my 30's now with a while to go before I'm 35 and I now have 2 salons, a city center building that I rent out, a hair academy, a nice house in a desirable postcode, 2 cars on the drive. Everything is paid for. I have no mortgages or debts outstanding. I also have enough cash savings to keep me comfortable for the next 10 years should everything go tits up tomorrow.

I'm sharing this because I'm hoping there might be someone like a "younger me" reading this thread at some point who is wondering if yet another night in is ever going to be worth it in the long run, or if it's worth just taking some of the money out of the bank that they have worked so hard to save and getting a little something to treat themselves for working flat out yet again for another week.

The answer is 'keep going the way you are going'. Opportunities come to those who seek them. They are not delivered by a government or a grants program ... go do a paying client instead of sitting through one of their talks - it all adds to the pot - a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Keep your eye on the ball and listen to people when they talk to you - you just never know who is going to give you a golden nugget of information about an empty premises or other opportunities. Hard work and savings pay off - nobody ever gets rich by spending their money on whatever everyone else is spending their money on just to 'keep up with your mates'. Keep thinking about where you want to be in 5 years time and ask yourself if the takeaway/sky movies/newer car/mobile phone is a price worth paying to sacrifice that dream?

Hope this helps somebody.

:)

This should help everybody, its very inspirational.

Hardwork and a focus instead of out with mates or siting at home 'wishing' they could be in business.

This story is the difference between making it happen for yourself and looking around to see who can give it to you.

And Classixuk ... I think you are a man aren't you? Apologies if you're not lol.

Jacqui xx

Yep he is a boy:D.

That's a great story and just goes to show what dedication and hard work can do.

Mine is sort of similar but, I spent, spent, spent in my 20s designer this designer that and then saved,saved,saved for the whole of my 30s for where I am today - lovely big house with swimming pool, living in the sun, doing something I absolutely love, owning my own spa, great professional reputation, but it isn't just handed to you as some people expect out of life, if you have a dream, don't let anything get in your way but you have to work hard for it.

Thanks so much everyone, I know it's going to be hard but I know I can run a better salon than the majority where I live! I will do it!

I would be in a salon working until 6pm and then did mobile too until 10pm including my day off and Sundays. That brought money in.

I cut out all unnecessary expenditure. To this day I still haven't bothered getting another mobile phone as I learned during that stage to live without one. I didn't have Sky. My car was falling apart. 'Dinner with friends' meant me going to Asda's reduced aisle and cooking whatever they had for "10p" and advising friends to bring a bottle when they came to my house. I had to read my food labels on my cans to discover what was in them as there were no fancy graphics or logos...it was 'supermarket basics'. I learned how to bake my own bread as it saved 40p per loaf. I didn't take any holidays. I didn't take any taxis. I wore the same 'clothes fashions' for about 2 years. I also skipped a few things that most people pay such as TV license and simply switched the TV off unless I was watching videos/DVDs. Even now I can cook a mean pasta with nothing except supermarket basics pasta, supermarket basics tomato soup and the reduced veg that nobody wants - enough for 4 days!

My mum was a single mum on benefits all my life and so we had no money. She was always in debt when we grew up and I was determined not to follow that route.

I opened my first 7 seater salon with nail desk and beauty room when I was 23 without any loans from the bank, grants from the government or credit card debts either. From day one it was all mine and funded from my savings.

I'm in my 30's now with a while to go before I'm 35 and I now have 2 salons, a city center building that I rent out, a hair academy, a nice house in a desirable postcode, 2 cars on the drive. Everything is paid for. I have no mortgages or debts outstanding. I also have enough cash savings to keep me comfortable for the next 10 years should everything go tits up tomorrow.

I'm sharing this because I'm hoping there might be someone like a "younger me" reading this thread at some point who is wondering if yet another night in is ever going to be worth it in the long run, or if it's worth just taking some of the money out of the bank that they have worked so hard to save and getting a little something to treat themselves for working flat out yet again for another week.

The answer is 'keep going the way you are going'. Opportunities come to those who seek them. They are not delivered by a government or a grants program ... go do a paying client instead of sitting through one of their talks - it all adds to the pot - a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Keep your eye on the ball and listen to people when they talk to you - you just never know who is going to give you a golden nugget of information about an empty premises or other opportunities. Hard work and savings pay off - nobody ever gets rich by spending their money on whatever everyone else is spending their money on just to 'keep up with your mates'. Keep thinking about where you want to be in 5 years time and ask yourself if the takeaway/sky movies/newer car/mobile phone is a price worth paying to sacrifice that dream?

Amazingly inspiring post. Go you <3 x

Well done you bet your well proud of yourself I know I would be x

There's some damn fine people on this salon geek. Big respect! :0) x

Well just about to open my home salon in the next month and I've financed it purely from my savings. I joined the Navy at 18 because of pressure from my parents and saved for the whole 7 and a half years I was in for. Basically saving all I could afford. I knew one day I'd need it and when I decided to leave and pursue a new career in Beauty I knew I was doing the right thing. I volunteered for Redundancy (came at exactly the right time for me) but before it was even accepted I started my training which I paid for privately.

It's cost me an absolute fortune, to set up but when I look at my converted room, it is SO worth it. Even if it's not a success, I don't regret any of it.

Thanks for sharing this :)

I'm moving back in with parents next week so I can save money. I'm renting at the moment and I'm not able to save anything. I'm dreading moving back, but i keep telling myself it will be worth it.

Next year me and my boyfriend are wanting to go to Australia for 3 months, and when we get back I want to open a beauty room. So this year I feel everything is on hold while we save, and it's making me feel really down.

Your post has definitely made me think!! And realise why i'm doing this Xx

Well just about to open my home salon in the next month and I've financed it purely from my savings. I joined the Navy at 18 because of pressure from my parents and saved for the whole 7 and a half years I was in for. Basically saving all I could afford. I knew one day I'd need it and when I decided to leave and pursue a new career in Beauty I knew I was doing the right thing. I volunteered for Redundancy (came at exactly the right time for me) but before it was even accepted I started my training which I paid for privately.

It's cost me an absolute fortune, to set up but when I look at my converted room, it is SO worth it. Even if it's not a success, I don't regret any of it.

im sure it will be a success! x

A long story... back in 2009, I had a surplus in my company account after having done contract work for several years, so that was what initially funded the initial phase of trying to get my business off the ground (as a freelance web developer); but I started off WAY too cheaply with my pricing, and also put a lot of money into running a stand at the Beauty UK show in Birmingham back in April 2010 - so after 10 months, I was running out of money and had to take on more contract work again... that's where I have been since - doing a mixture of web work at the same time as doing contract work... but charging more for the web work than what I did originally of course!

There is a fundamental reason for me wanting my business to succeed though - and that is because I am transgender, and want to properly transition to live as Ruth full-time; which isn't feasible at the moment because I am still in "male mode" for doing the contract work at the moment - which is doing my head in somewhat as I really want to be able to live as female!

A long story... back in 2009, I had a surplus in my company account after having done contract work for several years, so that was what initially funded the initial phase of trying to get my business off the ground (as a freelance web developer); but I started off WAY too cheaply with my pricing, and also put a lot of money into running a stand at the Beauty UK show in Birmingham back in April 2010 - so after 10 months, I was running out of money and had to take on more contract work again... that's where I have been since - doing a mixture of web work at the same time as doing contract work... but charging more for the web work than what I did originally of course!

There is a fundamental reason for me wanting my business to succeed though - and that is because I am transgender, and want to properly transition to live as Ruth full-time; which isn't feasible at the moment because I am still in "male mode" for doing the contract work at the moment - which is doing my head in somewhat as I really want to be able to live as female!

Aw Ruth, so nice of you to share.. Is your plan to go in to beauty eventually then? Or will you be sticking with web design, but just freelance not contract? X

Aw Ruth, so nice of you to share.. Is your plan to go in to beauty eventually then? Or will you be sticking with web design, but just freelance not contract? X

I'll be sticking with the web design and IT stuff, but focusing on clients in the beauty industry; although I do hope to start offering body painting too (for photo shoots, fancy dress parties, etc); body painting has been a hobby of mine for nearly 12 years now, so it would be good to go into business doing it too, especially throughout the summer months...

I'll be sticking with the web design and IT stuff, but focusing on clients in the beauty industry; although I do hope to start offering body painting too (for photo shoots, fancy dress parties, etc); body painting has been a hobby of mine for nearly 12 years now, so it would be good to go into business doing it too, especially throughout the summer months...

Oo Sounds fab :) Good luck with everything hun xx

What a great thread :) Like most of you I dream of my own salon one day. Long process and is all funded by me working nights. I had no clients last week so I worked 5 nights in a row and am exhausted, few spray tans next week but I'm still gonna do 5 nights again! but it's all going to be saved. The things we want seem so far away but how worth it will it be when you get there :) xx

Pole dancing, etc.

What an amazing story !! you deserve all the luck with your business. A very inspiring story.
Ill be 40 this year have worked in salons for 8 years and finally going on my own in a hairdressers. I had to get a credit card to finance products mainly.

i wish everyone lots of luck with your business ventures x

Latest posts

Back