How did you get your nails up to standard/speed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel1978

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I am hoping all of you are going to reply here and give me some ideas and opinions!

So come on how did you get your nails up to standard/speed? How long did it take you to get up to that speed/standard?

Did you find class after class helped you?
Did you have an army of models?
Did you go straight in to a salon? Did this help you get up to speed?
What response have you had when you have applied for salon work but you were not up to speed/standard?

And finally does anybody know of a salon that would willingly take on a a nail technician that is'nt up to speed/standard without a second thought? Whether on a salary or rental basis???
I look forward to hearing from you!!!

Hi diesel, so many questions!!! Only joking, I found that working in a salon day in day out with other experienced techs got me up to a good standard, also having a cousin who was an educator for a reputable company was a fantastic advantage. Plenty of training is definitely essential too, things are evolving so quickly within the nail industry so you need to keep up to speed! Not only does it keep you up to date with the latest trends , but I find that it boosts your confidence when you get another another certificate to show off to your clients! It also shows them that you are committed to your profession and dedicated to providing them with the best nails around xxxx

:p hi , i work first start out of school and to me you learn day by day and your speed come with every set you do. and yes people will hire you a big demnad .

diesel1978 said:
Hi peeps,

I am hoping all of you are going to reply here and give me some ideas and opinions!

So come on how did you get your nails up to standard/speed? How long did it take you to get up to that speed/standard?

training with the best flower

Did you find class after class helped you?
yes

Did you have an army of models?
i used every client as a model
Did you go straight in to a salon? Did this help you get up to speed?
no to both - i found i had to get at least some experience before attacking paying clients
What response have you had when you have applied for salon work but you were not up to speed/standard?
there loss (this might sound obnoxious, but i know im good and i know also that im up to the max)

And finally does anybody know of a salon that would willingly take on a a nail technician that is'nt up to speed/standard without a second thought? Whether on a salary or rental basis???
not really flower - but if they wanting to train you into there way of thinking - they might

hope that helps - but its only my opinion flowerpot

HONEY
I had a good backing .
My poor family went thourgh the ringer with me , I did their nails so much and I had a mentor that helped so much ! it comes with time and training !!
don't rush it , you'll get there I promise !!!
Find someone that supports you 1000 percent!!
and pratice pratice !!:hug:
Fingerfun

My speed is abysmal....

BUT my clients love that I'm detailed and a perfectionist, that I dont treat them like a number and they love the quality of my work..
They also like that I offer unique art unfound in my lil' town.

If they like you and your work.. you'll get clients and keep them.
Speed comes with time.
Dont worry about it, practice, stay focused and turn out top quality nails. That will bring in more clients which equals more practice.. which in the long run means better speed.

Hang in there.
hugs

diesel1978 said:
Hi peeps,

So come on how did you get your nails up to standard/speed? How long did it take you to get up to that speed/standard? i have struggled a bit since training but thats coz i dont practie enough , my nails are nearly there but i can just see a few faults still

Did you find class after class helped you? yea , but its still better to have loads of practice
Did you have an army of models?no this is where my problems come from
Did you go straight in to a salon?no i work from home

Did this help you get up to speed? no coz i didnt go into a salon it was just through time, my speds got better
What response have you had when you have applied for salon work but you were not up to speed/standard? did apply once and showed her photos of my nails and she was ready to take me on but i decided the rent was too high :o

And finally does anybody know of a salon that would willingly take on a a nail technician that is'nt up to speed/standard without a second thought? Whether on a salary or rental basis??? dunno hun coz most of em want experience

well this cant be about you amanda (you being a master and producing fantastic nails !!) but hope its helped anyway , :D dee xx

I was lucky I was trained by a salon as a complete beginner and had model after model lined up. I was doing sets within 90 mins after about 2-3 months.

I think it also helps to push yourself to go faster. I can do sets in 2 hours if I know I have the time and natter and don't push yourself. But I can also do a set in an hour if I have to ie someone comes in for infills and needs a full set and I only have an hour booked.

I think the main thing is practice, practice, practice!

Rope in absolutley everyone you know to have their nails done and try and get them to have infills and rebalances too so that you're not just practicing new sets as I think this can be a common mistake when you're starting out.

HTH xx

Hi all Thanks for all your replies it really is appreciated!
The actual post was done because i am looking at ways to help a fellow tech out.
I can go by my own experiences but i think the wealth of information that can be obtained by all you lovely techies is much needed!
People learn in different ways.
Me personally i did college then the cnd premasters and practice practise practise.
Luckily i was lucky enough to have a friend who is in the out for nowt frame of mind who let me put set after set on!
They still were'nt perfect though theni heard about nailgeek and read GMG's smile line tutorial over and over again until the penny finally dropped.....ker ching.....i was away with my smile lines..........then came the perfecting the tuckin the side walls in to bed.....again gigi came to my rescue.......and finally i had got up to the standard where i was ready for my masters.
But not everyone has models lined up and not everyone is accepted straight in to a salon.............and not everyone has lots of time to practise!

One more question.......do you thing it is better to master one step at a time or all of at once?
I am all for the first !!!!

Anymore for any more.
I am sure this thread can help alot of people out no just me.....pppppwwwwwwwwweaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back