How do I achieve this hair style?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadHairDay

Reaction score
Hi All, first time posting here, I did evening classes a while ago but have just only done a bit of basic stuff for family since so only really at a pretty basic level. Anyhow, I have come across this hairstyle (attached) that I like for myself and was wondering how it is best achieved.

Basically I have been growing my hair out on top and to the front as the guy in the photo looks likes he has got a quite a heavy fringe. I use clippers to cut the sides of my hair every so often and leave the top and the front so I end up with a biggish mass of hair their. After a few months of doing it I think I'm about at the same stage as the guy in the photo in terms of hair length. Only thing is, is that my hair seems to lack much in the way of volume that the guy in the photo has, its kind of flattish. I've ordered dome spiky hair wax and am hoping that may help when it arrives in a day or so. Still not sure if that will be enough or if I need to blow dry it a certain way to get that result, also wondering if it needs to be cut a certain way to add texture and lift possibly?

So wondering if you guys could help out with any ideas on how to best achieve this look?
Hair Style.jpeg

This looks scissor cut, I wouldn't clipper the sides unless you use a large clip.

The top is layered and textured, which can be added with cutting techniques. Point cutting for example, possibly even razoring. This will help create lift and texture in flatter hair. But most importantly you'll need to dry your hair with some body building / volumisong product. This will give your hair "scaffolding" to support the style.
If you just let it dry naturally and then tried to add your wax it will eventually fall flat again.

As for finishing product maybe a texturising paste with a good hold will be better than wax. Waxes can be quite wet and heavy.
I hope this helps.

This looks scissor cut, I wouldn't clipper the sides unless you use a large clip.

The top is layered and textured, which can be added with cutting techniques. Point cutting for example, possibly even razoring. This will help create lift and texture in flatter hair. But most importantly you'll need to dry your hair with some body building / volumisong product. This will give your hair "scaffolding" to support the style.
If you just let it dry naturally and then tried to add your wax it will eventually fall flat again.

As for finishing product maybe a texturising paste with a good hold will be better than wax. Waxes can be quite wet and heavy.
I hope this helps.

Really very much apprieciate your help here ronray :) I can see that there is a fair bit more too it from what you wrote. Lol yeah I never thought to think that a guys hair could be layered as it is girls hair where I've heard of it in the past. Did a little bit of it under supervision way back on a girls hair, that was on long hair though and I took it in turns with the other students as it was quite full on for a student like me anyway. I can see how that would create the necessary lift though so I'll get someone to do that and it should help out a lot. I'll check out the products you mention and try them also. Kind off intriguing to see how many techniques go into just that one hairstyle and for a gents hairdo at that. Anyway, thank you very much for all your help on this I'll get someone onto it shortly and hopefully it will look great! :)

This isn't something you would do on yourself, while still training. Even many experienced stylists do not cut their own hair, other than a wee tidy up here and there.

Ronray has already mentioned using techniques as well as products, not only to style, but to prep the hair. Sounds like ur hair is limp and possibly heavy on top, so u need to think about cut, drying technique, products including something to give body, and the finish. U can use multiple products, so maybe 2 different ones....one to lift/give body, then a finishing one. It's good to experiment with different combinations, so if ur in a salon for example, maybe ask if it's ok to try some of the salon products (not the retail ones, the ones used on clients) and see if there's something that suits.

Latest posts

Back