How do I get rid of a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi this thread has given me great advise as well,
I work from home and gave a VERY awkward client,
No time is ever good enough for her and she feels like I should be giving up my spare time just to fit her in, then constantly changes her appointment and gets sarcastic towards me when I can't fit her in that day,

She's a single mum and a child minder do every time she comes she's got at least 2 children with her one of which HAS to sit on her knee throughout her treatment (eyelashes) it takes twice as long to do her treatment as you can imagine!

She answers her phone when ever it rings!!! Saying sorry I have to answer this then chats to her friend on the other end about nothing in particular!!

When her eye lashes start to come off its always my fault, not her fault for putting too much oil in her hair that runs down her face!

I did rockstar toes on her and she rang me back 2 days later saying its come off! I insisted she comes back so I can take a look at them, it turns out she scraped them on the bottom of the swimming pool as its quite gritty for grip, but she thinks it's still my fault!!

I have to sack this awkward woman! I dread her appointments! :-(

Oh yeah and not to mention that she's always late! Last time she blamed my neighbour!!!

Hi this thread has given me great advise as well,
I work from home and gave a VERY awkward client,
No time is ever good enough for her and she feels like I should be giving up my spare time just to fit her in, then constantly changes her appointment and gets sarcastic towards me when I can't fit her in that day,

She's a single mum and a child minder do every time she comes she's got at least 2 children with her one of which HAS to sit on her knee throughout her treatment (eyelashes) it takes twice as long to do her treatment as you can imagine!

She answers her phone when ever it rings!!! Saying sorry I have to answer this then chats to her friend on the other end about nothing in particular!!

When her eye lashes start to come off its always my fault, not her fault for putting too much oil in her hair that runs down her face!

I did rockstar toes on her and she rang me back 2 days later saying its come off! I insisted she comes back so I can take a look at them, it turns out she scraped them on the bottom of the swimming pool as its quite gritty for grip, but she thinks it's still my fault!!

I have to sack this awkward woman! I dread her appointments! :-(

Get rid, get rid, get rid!!! Clients like this are not worth the time, hassle or money!!! I just don't understand clients like this, they are obviously happy with the treatments to keep coming back, so you would THINK they would show a little respect. It will be her loss, not yours at the end of it! Bite the bullet and go for it! XxX

Get rid, get rid, get rid!!! Clients like this are not worth the time, hassle or money!!! I just don't understand clients like this, they are obviously happy with the treatments to keep coming back, so you would THINK they would show a little respect. It will be her loss, not yours at the end of it! Bite the bullet and go for it! XxX

Thanks chick,
I'm going to have to really, feel a bit guilty as she has given me alot of other clients :-( which are nothing like her, thank god lol
She's bound to give me a ring this week so il do it then, x

GlamourEyes11 - thx for agreeing with me hun. Was a bit worried about what reaction I'd get.

EmmaCherry - once again, deep breath and text her today so it's done and a weight off your mind. Once again you do not owe her an explanation, but if you did want to say something you could add:

"Going forward I feel it would be best I no longer provided your beauty treatments. I don't feel I can provide you with a service that's to your standard at the times you want. My lashes and nails are not lasting on you and I cannot afford to continually rectify them."

One thing I forgot to say earlier is, once you've sent the text that's it. Leave it at that, do not engage anymore with the client and they will eventually go away.

If you start replying to them you could end up engaging in an argument, be made to feel bad and end up booking them in. They will want to know why and try to press you for more details or get nasty, so it's best to ignore.

EmmaCherry - I don't think I could have sacked my first client over the phone. I was feeling bad enough. I did it by text. I did sack my last client on the phone, I still felt bad though.

Maybe text would be better for your first...

Thanks, I am definitely going to say something but it's not that easy with this lady, I don't really want to bad mouth me to the other clients she has put my way, and she attends the beauty coffee morning I do at my daughters school, :-( tricky tricky, :-( and from the way she talks, I can't imagine she'd let it go very easy,
I think the "strictly no children" might work as she always has kids with her, x

Thanks, I am definitely going to say something but it's not that easy with this lady, I don't really want to bad mouth me to the other clients she has put my way, and she attends the beauty coffee morning I do at my daughters school, :-( tricky tricky, :-( and from the way she talks, I can't imagine she'd let it go very easy,
I think the "strictly no children" might work as she always has kids with her, x

Yeah try the no children one, just say something along the lines of "I'm really sorry, my insurance have changed their t&c and I am no longer allowed any children Under the age of XX in the salon, so unfortunately I am unable to offer you any further treatments, as I understand you are unable to get alternative childcare (seeing as she is THE childminder lol)"

Loads of other horror stories are coming to mind, like the time she rang me at 7am to talk about her lashes, I was in bed!
She turned up one time and started eating a ham cob then asked me if I had any mayo!
One of the children she brings with her smacked her in the face one time!
Thinking about it more and more, SHE HAS TO GO!

jeezo! ... you cant discriminate for bringing kids in though, i say so long as they dont have a brood in then cool... most usually have the sense not to....
my two kids are extremely well behave though so maybe their kids are quite misbehaved?
salons are supposed to be a relaxing environment though.

id just slip in that if she wants polish then the extra charge would be ££.... and if she has any repairs then the extra charge would be ££ ... saying its `new policy` ...stress that when you are booking the appointment that you cannot allow the kid/kids in.... be that bit rude.
if they want your services they will bend over backwards and do what you ask :) x

Loads of other horror stories are coming to mind, like the time she rang me at 7am to talk about her lashes, I was in bed!
She turned up one time and started eating a ham cob then asked me if I had any mayo!

My god total nightmare! X poor you x

I don't mind kids as long as they are well behaved but these are not her kids and they run around like crazy :-( plus I think it's wrong of her to take these kids to a salon, if their parents ask them what they have done today "oh I've been sat waiting for Tash to have her nails done" I wouldn't be very happy if it was my child,

Well I've txt her and said I can fix your toes for you at half 2 on Wednesday, if you can come childless that would be great if not then wel arrange a time when you don't have any x
So far no reply

I don't mind kids as long as they are well behaved but these are not her kids and they run around like crazy :-( plus I think it's wrong of her to take these kids to a salon, if their parents ask them what they have done today "oh I've been sat waiting for Tash to have her nails done" I wouldn't be very happy if it was my child,

Well I've txt her and said I can fix your toes for you at half 2 on Wednesday, if you can come childless that would be great if not then wel arrange a time when you don't have any x
So far no reply

Good for you :) x x

She is shocking!

Puts me in mind of a client I had (has now moved away so thankfully sacked herself lol) who came in with her poor little boy straight from the hospital where he had been for a few days . . . they had told her to take him straight home but she brought him to her nail appointment and laid him on my sofa - I so wanted to tell her to just get her priorities right and take her child home where he needed to be but she was just so awful I didn't want a big argument (which we would surely have had if I'd criticized her parenting). SO glad when she moved though!

She is shocking!

Puts me in mind of a client I had (has now moved away so thankfully sacked herself lol) who came in with her poor little boy straight from the hospital where he had been for a few days . . . they had told her to take him straight home but she brought him to her nail appointment and laid him on my sofa - I so wanted to tell her to just get her priorities right and take her child home where he needed to be but she was just so awful I didn't want a big argument (which we would surely have had if I'd criticized her parenting). SO glad when she moved though!

Oh no, poor lad, some people just don't have a clue :-( x

have a written pricelist .....and time for process procedure "then price her out", but if she will pay, shutup and keep her money, unless of course you don't need the money

So far no reply

good for you, some people can be soo pushy, but dont let her rail road you. are these the toes SHE has damaged on the pool floor? Make sure if she texts back to confirm her appointment that you text her to back to say, "ok see you then, the cost of the repairs will be £XX"

I mean really what is the worst that can happen? she is offended and finds another therapist? lol

Absolutely go with the Insurance terms. If you are not insured to treat children (god forbid! Mine is no one under 14 and even then they would need to be with an adult) then they shouldn't be in a salon environment. What if one was to injure themselves or drink atone or something! Good luck with her though!

Things are so different in the UK. Y'all are so polite.

I always believe in honesty and directness. I disagree with feigning illness. Tell her she needs to find a new nail professional and tell her why. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

I understand she's been your client for some time. But just because she's been a paying client doesn't mean she's been a good client. There's a difference.

Thanks for all your advice guys, this is how I've handled this situation.

Firstly I have sent out a generic text to all clients that have kids saying

"Hi, due to a recent incident in the salon, we are no longer able to allow children under the age of 12 yrs old. It has also been confirmed by our insurance company that we are not insured whilst children are present during treatments. Therefore, with immediate effect, children are no longer allowed in the salon. Please make sure you have childcare for your treatment times. If you do turn up with children, you will be asked to reschedule your appt and a 50% late cancellation charge will be applied. Thank you for your co-operation in this matter".

Secondly, I have started giving out an amended price list asking clients and asking them to be aware of price changes. This includes a "quick polish" lol.

With reference to my nightmare client, i have sent this text about children and haven't had a response yet so we will see. I will be letting her know the cost of her appt once I have seen her nails BEFORE i start, and ask her if this is ok to continue.

I think this will do the trick...what do you guys reckon?

Latest posts

Back