How do I get started?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floox

Reaction score
Hello you all,

Im looking into going to UK at the end of next year with a working visa. Can any of you tell me how many years experience in the nail industry I will need to get started as well as how many Pounds I will need to get by at first. How do I go about finding a job? etc... Any other advice would be appreciated...

Thanx in advance:hug:

if you are looking to be employed you won't need to by a huge amount maybe just a starter kit as you will have to do a set of nails infront of the person that you've gone for the interveiw with, where abouts are you looking to move to?

To be honest i don't think you should worry about having loads of experience atleast you'll have some, there are alot of people looking for their first nail job.

you could just send you c.v to salons in your area that you want to move to and wait to see if you get any response?

HTH

if you are looking to be employed you won't need to by a huge amount maybe just a starter kit as you will have to do a set of nails infront of the person that you've gone for the interveiw with, where abouts are you looking to move to?

To be honest i don't think you should worry about having loads of experience atleast you'll have some, there are alot of people looking for their first nail job.

you could just send you c.v to salons in your area that you want to move to and wait to see if you get any response?

HTH

Im going to have to either go to London or Hastings (my aunt lives there) cause Im gonna need a place to stay till I get on my feet. So many people I know who move there from South Africa struggle to get on their feet and I just hope someone can give me some advice on what to do when I get there :lol: I know Im still young and inexperienced which is what Im worried about... And I need to know how much money I will need to start a basic living. thanx so much for replying I really appreciate it!

Im going to have to either go to London or Hastings (my aunt lives there) cause Im gonna need a place to stay till I get on my feet. So many people I know who move there from South Africa struggle to get on their feet and I just hope someone can give me some advice on what to do when I get there :lol: I know Im still young and inexperienced which is what Im worried about... And I need to know how much money I will need to start a basic living. thanx so much for replying I really appreciate it!

Hiya

I think we have spoken before, i am south african, from umhlanga, durban. It is quite expensive living here but on the same hand if you are a hard worker and happy to loose the south african attitude that we all arrive here with ie: i have someone at home to do those jobs, or, gosh your houses are so small here..... you will do well, the opportunities are there for the taking if you are happy to work hard. I dont think you will struggle to find work especialy if you go 2 london, but i suggest if you have family in Hastings, use that as your starting base, at least u will have a roof over your head and some family to help advise you on travel, bargains, areas etc. Keep in touch, i will help as much as i can. It is hard for someone to put an amount on how much money you will need, bring as much as you can really, if u have family to stay with then u dont have to worry about rent straight away as that is very costly....

Hiya

I think we have spoken before, i am south african, from umhlanga, durban. It is quite expensive living here but on the same hand if you are a hard worker and happy to loose the south african attitude that we all arrive here with ie: i have someone at home to do those jobs, or, gosh your houses are so small here..... you will do well, the opportunities are there for the taking if you are happy to work hard. I dont think you will struggle to find work especialy if you go 2 london, but i suggest if you have family in Hastings, use that as your starting base, at least u will have a roof over your head and some family to help advise you on travel, bargains, areas etc. Keep in touch, i will help as much as i can. It is hard for someone to put an amount on how much money you will need, bring as much as you can really, if u have family to stay with then u dont have to worry about rent straight away as that is very costly....

Yeah I remember youve helped me alot before!:green: Thanx again!Will keep in touch.

i have quite a few south african clients that have moved and struggled to find work but are all now settled its good that you have some family here that can put you up for a bit.

I would send your c.v maybe before you come over and then get some interviews lined up for when you get over here, there are plenty of salons in that area.

Just prepare yourself, have a model ready to take with you with maybe a portfolio if you have one i just took some pictures of clients nails and my certificates.

If you are passionate about what you do and enthusiastic there is no reason for you not to find a job over here even with little experience, your looking for someone to give you your lucky break into the industry, your willling to learn and grow with the industry etc, thats the sort of thing i said in my interveiw.

As for money i would just make sure you have some products to do your fullsets at the interveiw and then all you will need if you are employed is you and your brsh everything else will be supplied by the employer hun.

If there is anything else just ask xx

Yeah I remember youve helped me alot before!:green: Thanx again!Will keep in touch.

anytime, no problem, lots of luck xx:)

i have quite a few south african clients that have moved and struggled to find work but are all now settled its good that you have some family here that can put you up for a bit.

I would send your c.v maybe before you come over and then get some interviews lined up for when you get over here, there are plenty of salons in that area.

Just prepare yourself, have a model ready to take with you with maybe a portfolio if you have one i just took some pictures of clients nails and my certificates.

If you are passionate about what you do and enthusiastic there is no reason for you not to find a job over here even with little experience, your looking for someone to give you your lucky break into the industry, your willling to learn and grow with the industry etc, thats the sort of thing i said in my interveiw.

As for money i would just make sure you have some products to do your fullsets at the interveiw and then all you will need if you are employed is you and your brsh everything else will be supplied by the employer hun.

If there is anything else just ask xx

Thanx! I always take pictures of every set of nails I do. So then its more about how good you are and what you can do then how much experience you have?

We all have to start somewhere hun so experience isn't everything.

Its what you offer as a person and a technician, personally as long as you present yourself as a professional nail tech able to do a good set of nails i don't see you having a problem at all hun.

Some tips for an interveiw:

Make sure you wear a uniform i.e beauty jacket i think this makes people look more proffesional

Make sure you know your system you use as they may ask you why you use that poticular product i.e advantages

Make sure you tell them that you want to progress with your work and are always striving for the perfect set of nails, thats a good one lol

You need to be a team player

Take your portfolio and model

Just be confident in yourself, make sure you know what you want to do in your career as the worst answer for me is 'i don't know'

There is loads of stuff i'm sure you will be fine and i know how nervous you will be as it is different over here, your wages won't be great but if your hard working they will improve hun xx

We all have to start somewhere hun so experience isn't everything.

Its what you offer as a person and a technician, personally as long as you present yourself as a professional nail tech able to do a good set of nails i don't see you having a problem at all hun.

Some tips for an interveiw:

Make sure you wear a uniform i.e beauty jacket i think this makes people look more proffesional

Make sure you know your system you use as they may ask you why you use that poticular product i.e advantages

Make sure you tell them that you want to progress with your work and are always striving for the perfect set of nails, thats a good one lol

You need to be a team player

Take your portfolio and model

Just be confident in yourself, make sure you know what you want to do in your career as the worst answer for me is 'i don't know'

There is loads of stuff i'm sure you will be fine and i know how nervous you will be as it is different over here, your wages won't be great but if your hard working they will improve hun xx

Thank you for the interview advice!:hug:

Thats ok hun some employers in an interveiw can scare the s**t out of you so just be prepared thats the best advise i can give, good luck hun keep me posted and pm if you need anything xx

Latest posts

Back