How do I go about starting a gel nail business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerdess199

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to this forum, I'm 22 and I am in college and going to university next year, I have been getting bored lately and I want a new hobby.
I am a qualified level 3 beautician however I have never had a real job as one I changed my career path last year but I don't want the qualification that I did when I left school to go to waste

I am really interested in doing gel nails, especially glitter, I worked in a salon as a receptionist and the nail tech always done really nice nails, she was self employed and had many clients and I thought I want to do so,etching similar on the side of college to give me something to do and make a bit of money

I think I already know which gel nail system I want to use ( Star ) as that's what the nail tech used what I knew and it was really popular, the reason i want to do gel is because I did acrylic in college and I just found it a bit hard and the smell gave me headaches, I also think gel looks shinier

I did do a nail technology course in 2012 but I don't think I finished it oops, there is a beauty school in my town who does them for about 300 so I want to eventually do that when j get my student loan In September as I won't charge people before I am qualified.

I was thinking about buying glitter, the uv lamp, the gel etc and for now practising my skills on my friend and myself and taking photos and putting it on my Fb so that people can start to see I am doing them so that when I eventually make a page people will be more attracted to it.

I'm also learning to drive so I wouldn't go mobile till I have passed my test and got a car but for now does anyone ha any tips, and should I buy all the things and start practising now or should I do it after the course? Also would anyone be so Kind to give me a list of all the things I need because I can remember there is a lot and I don't want to forget anything

I'd be greatfull for any tips at all

If you practice before the course, you'll just get into bad habits. You really should wait. Gel isn't as easy as it looks.

Hi
Gel will also give off fumes which could give you headaches, even with no smell, so be sure to work in a well ventilated area.

Good luck with your course, agree with attitude, do that first before practicing otherwise how do you know if you're practicing the right way?

Hi
Gel will also give off fumes which could give you headaches, even with no smell, so be sure to work in a well ventilated area.

Good luck with your course, agree with attitude, do that first before practicing otherwise how do you know if you're practicing the right way?

Well I have been watching yourube tutorials on YouTube but your right they're not very detailed, I am just excited to do it and I'm impatient to wait till I can afford the course lol :(

It's really something you need to be taught up close and personal.

Latest posts

Back