How do I go from a red head to a neutral brunette?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairg33k

Reaction score
I have a couple clients with colored deep red or bright red hair about a level 6, who want to get rid of the red and go brunette or a nice neutral brown with almost no red. Ive only done this a time or two but its been a long time and never worked out the right way. I need help or sugestions. How woukd you change the color? Please & thank you!

Hey I've just done a test peace for a client her hair is very light bright red and this was the result with 7.1 ash ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398406293.404903.jpg so it's like a very warm brown. I've explained that we can strip the colour out but it may take a few strips or we can cover the colour with an ash brown but the red will always be the underlying colour. Reds I find are very drying on the hair - when they do them as home themselves, so I suggested stripping may not be a great option.
I think overall I'm going to change from a base 7 to a 6 and do 6.11 and add ash to that as well to counteract the red.
Also explain that her hair will always be a warmer shade of brown with all the red build up.

Hey I've just done a test peace for a client her hair is very light bright red and this was the result with 7.1 ash View attachment 63095 so it's like a very warm brown. I've explained that we can strip the colour out but it may take a few strips or we can cover the colour with an ash brown but the red will always be the underlying colour. Reds I find are very drying on the hair - when they do them as home themselves, so I suggested stripping may not be a great option.
I think overall I'm going to change from a base 7 to a 6 and do 6.11 and add ash to that as well to counteract the red.
Also explain that her hair will always be a warmer shade of brown with all the red build up.
Thank you for that picture. I completely agree with you on that result. Those were my exact results on a past client of mine, but deffinately the red will always be an underlying pigment especially in the light. I just wish there were a way to get most of the red out without runing the hair. Preserving the integrity of the hair is always #1 to me.
Thank you again so much!

To get rid of red you need to introduce green.

Hey I've just done a test peace for a client her hair is very light bright red and this was the result with 7.1 ash View attachment 63095 so it's like a very warm brown. I've explained that we can strip the colour out but it may take a few strips or we can cover the colour with an ash brown but the red will always be the underlying colour. Reds I find are very drying on the hair - when they do them as home themselves, so I suggested stripping may not be a great option.

I know that green is the opposite of the color wheel to cancel red but I havent gotten courage to use green in fear of seeing it in the hair. I should experiment first. I use Schwarzkopf but learning the Wella line.

You won't see the green in the finished result, but you won't neutralise red without it. Be brave.

Kim if I was working at counteracting the red on a level 6 would u add 30gram with 5 grams off /22.
Would this counteract it totally?
Would you just reduce the amount of /22 to keep some of warmth or use /11 instead. X

Last edited:
5 level green, straight up roots to ends Demi or 10 vol tint

Well if you were looking at rule of 11, you'd do 5cm to every 30g but I suppose it depends on the red and how much you wanted to get rid. I would probably do a cleansing rinse (bleach and water) to shift some tone first.

Latest posts

Back