SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnieX

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I would really appreciate some friendly, professional advice...

So I'm a L2&3 NVQ qualified beauty therapist and have been running my own mobile business for almost 2 years now after working 2 years in the salon (employed). I am doing extremely well, a lot better than I thought when I first jumped in! I have got to the point where I can no longer accept new evening clients and only have a few appointments left in a week, if any at all. (in the busy periods, obviously goes quitter during the in-between months like any business in the industry) I spend around 4/5 hours a day travelling on a full 10-12hr day. It's also starting to take it's toll on my back with the heavy lifting, constantly packing, unpacking, bending and twisting in awkward positions. I have a very, very loyal client base and feel like I'm not giving the best I can give in the environment I am currently in.

I've thought about renting a chair but they're usually small box rooms where as I need multiply stations to work with... e.g. Nail station, waxing room, spray tan room, makeup room and a chair for hair styling!! Also, I've always dreamt of owning a salon, going mobile was my stepping stone.

Can anyone help me with how I go from upgrading myself from being mobile to owning my own salon and is it possible with not much savings? I would only like to start out on my own at first (I'd think about hiring staff a few years down the line) I already have all the required equipment and kits, I would just need to invest in salon furniture and obviously pay overheads.

Is it best to look into getting a loan?

How much on average does it cost to run a salon?

Where do you look to get a salon?

What do I need to know?

Any advice/tips will be highly appreciated, I just feel completely lost at this point and sort of stuck in a rut with my business at the moment.

First of all enjoy the fact you've made the decision.

Running a salon is brilliant I love it.

Be careful in what premises you invest in, I unexpectedly spent 10k on my first shop because it needed so much work. Find a shop that is pretty much ready. With a room. For you to work in. Definitely get someone to rent nail space or similar. That will cover your rent depending on what your rent is.

If it needs no major work you won't need building regs which is a bonus. But the liklihood is you will need to make a full planning application just to change the use class. Unless it was a beauty salon before... But that's always a big risk. I signed my shop lease whilst my planning application was processing and thankfully all went well.

Make sure you get a break clause in your contract.

I say go for it, but differentiate yourself and prepare for more costs than you think at first and more time to get up and running. It's the hardest thing I've ever done but so worth it, I'm opening my second in another location!

Good luck to you ❤️

The first thing I would say is ask your clients whether they would come to you if you were based in a salon. You want at least over 50% of them to say yes. You could look in the Daltons Weekly and buy a ready made business rather than start from total scratch having to kit out a salon and build a clientele. Some businesses to buy are cheap depending on the current owner's circumstances and you get a salon, ready to go clients and reputation to go with it. Over time you can do renovation of the salon.
My main thing to say is that at the moment you are "doing" the business rather than "running" the business. You need to think about how you could earn more money when you are in the salon by not "doing" the skills you have but rather selling products and getting staff in.

Don't feel daunted - but make sure you plan out this decision especially financially as you can find that your money will be eaten up.
All the best

First of all enjoy the fact you've made the decision.

Running a salon is brilliant I love it.

Be careful in what premises you invest in, I unexpectedly spent 10k on my first shop because it needed so much work. Find a shop that is pretty much ready. With a room. For you to work in. Definitely get someone to rent nail space or similar. That will cover your rent depending on what your rent is.

If it needs no major work you won't need building regs which is a bonus. But the liklihood is you will need to make a full planning application just to change the use class. Unless it was a beauty salon before... But that's always a big risk. I signed my shop lease whilst my planning application was processing and thankfully all went well.

Make sure you get a break clause in your contract.

I say go for it, but differentiate yourself and prepare for more costs than you think at first and more time to get up and running. It's the hardest thing I've ever done but so worth it, I'm opening my second in another location!

Good luck to you ❤️

I’ve done the same thing spent a fortune getting the salon ready for the public. It’s hard work hoping it pays off for me. It’s onky been set up since April so hoping I get busier but finding people are so unreliable.

I have a self employed nail/lash technician who is a nightmare. It’s hard as I’m needing to have quite a few words with her as she is stressing me out she’s not very forthcoming with paying her rent even though she is getting a days concession.

Remember the bills I have rent, electricity, water, refuse, mobile and landline, banking also I get charged for my booking system as upgraded and also I use PayPal and have charges for that too.

Just try and have plenty of money behind you. Mines is surely running thin xx

I've stumbled across this post - a few years after it was first published lol any update/advice? looking at this for myself now..

Latest posts

Back