How do I start a career in beauty therapy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails Unveiled

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm in the process, or at least attempting to completely change my career!

I've wanted to do beauty therapy for a long time and I'm now at a point in my life to do it. All my qualifications are in nursing and I have no beauty quals at all. I've seen loads of online distant learning course but I just fail to see how this can prepare you for a career in beauty therapy and imagine no salon would employ someone who hasn't done any practical training!! After all, I've never come across a nurse who trained purely online! It just wouldn't work.

So my question is are these courses actually going to allow me to start a job in beauty? The course I'm looking at is the open study college level 3 beauty and aromatherapy.

If this isn't a valid option, then what is the best way to go about this? I am 30yr old now so I guess a mature student but also means I can't commit to full time college as I have to work to pay bills and have a child to look after (hence the attraction to distance learning) is there such a thing as a part time college course in Edinburgh? I can't find any? Also I want to try and cover as much as possible in one course. I really haven't got the time/money to do lots of small courses as I need to be able to do a complete beauty course so I can start working and then do add ons later.

If you got this far well done and thanks in advance for your help!

K x

P.s is becoming an apprentice an option so I can be earning some money while I train and are these even offered at my grand old age????

Hello, yes you could definatley become an apprentice as I looked into it this year for my level 3 in beauty and I'm 29. But the pay is awful. The minimum wage for apprentices will be £3.30 from October. However, it is a great way to learn on the job, and you do 4 days in a salon and one day at college studying. X

I wouldn't recommend the open study college level three course. It's not accredited by vtct, itec or city and guilds and more importantly it is a distance learning course. Don't waste your money.

I've worked with people who have come from nursing and they often make really good beauty therapists. I recommend finding an nvq2 in beauty therapy course. Definitely contact your local college to see if you can get on a course.

I am looking for courses as a beauty therapist, can you recommend me any good school which I can looking for

Hey,

I have just started working as an aesthetician after changing my career from fashion design. I did a fast track in level 2, 3 and 4. It's hard work but worth it, and you get working much quicker. Once employed you learn on the job so quickly. For me this worked really well, any questions, just ask :)

Good luck,
Chloe x

Latest posts

Back