How do we stay safe?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLovesTanning

Tanning ❤️
Reaction score
So I just read an article about a woman in America who went on a call out to a guy for a massage and he killed her...

Obviously this has me worried, how do you guys stay safe when you go to someone's home?

I just think you have to be really sensible. When I was mobile, I just didn't do men. If guys rang for an appointment, I explained that I only did female clients. I would leave info on where I had gone and how long I'd be so people knew when to expect me back. On occasion, I would do clients partners but only when the client was there.

It's a two way thing. These clients are letting a stranger into their home to perform sometimes quite intimate treatments. It's a leap of faith for all of us, but it pays to be sensible.

Vic x

I just think you have to be really sensible. When I was mobile, I just didn't do men. If guys rang for an appointment, I explained that I only did female clients. I would leave info on where I had gone and how long I'd be so people knew when to expect me back. On occasion, I would do clients partners but only when the client was there.

It's a two way thing. These clients are letting a stranger into their home to perform sometimes quite intimate treatments. It's a leap of faith for all of us, but it pays to be sensible.

Vic x

So true! Did you worry about your car being vandalized?

Did you like being mobile?

So true! Did you worry about your car being vandalized?

Did you like being mobile?
Can't say it worried me about the car. I didn't really enjoy mobile I have to say although no overheads was good (or minimal).

Vic x

Can't say it worried me about the car. I didn't really enjoy mobile I have to say although no overheads was good (or minimal).

Vic x

What didn't you enjoy? I prefer the salon too!

I have a really good clientele for my mobile hair dressing and only do clients that are recommended by word of mouth (I don't advertise at all) I also have the find my friends app active on my phone so people (friends and my husband) can see exactly where I am, even if moving in my car! I also use an online booking system to which my husband has the password to so if for any reason my phone is maybe turned off (I never turn it off) he would be able to check who I had booked in at what times and he can access their phone numbers and address xx

I'm mobile full time. I only do treatments on women. I always leave a list with my husband saying where I am and what time I should be home. Sometimes if somebody messages me for an appointment and I feel abit uneasy about who I'm speaking to I'll phone them so I can hear them on the phone. Id also feel confidant that if I ever felt uneasy somewhere I would make my excuses to leave.
I did once go to a ladies who I'd done a few times and knew she was in an abusive relationship. They were having an actual physical fight when I turned up. She begged me to come inside and let her use my phone. I took her children into the kitchen and sat with them till her mum came. It was pretty frightening but obvious it wasn't the first time. I had to kindly let her know I could no longer come and do her treatments for her x

I'm mobile full time. I only do treatments on women. I always leave a list with my husband saying where I am and what time I should be home. Sometimes if somebody messages me for an appointment and I feel abit uneasy about who I'm speaking to I'll phone them so I can hear them on the phone. Id also feel confidant that if I ever felt uneasy somewhere I would make my excuses to leave.
I did once go to a ladies who I'd done a few times and knew she was in an abusive relationship. They were having an actual physical fight when I turned up. She begged me to come inside and let her use my phone. I took her children into the kitchen and sat with them till her mum came. It was pretty frightening but obvious it wasn't the first time. I had to kindly let her know I could no longer come and do her treatments for her x

Wow I just don't get some people. I guess everyone just has a gut feeling and just knows lol I don't go to certain areas in Dublin I choose not to they are mostly rough areas I wouldn't feel safe in so I say no if people want my services they will do what it takes...

It sounds funny, but my Mum comes with me under the guise of helping me with my equipment and set up. Once everything is in place, she goes back to the car to do some Sudoku but there was one time the man was totally cool with her sitting on his couch watching TV. Admittedly - the only men I've treated have been beginner transvestites who wanted their makeup done professionally and to get tips on application, so it's likely they were more nervous about me than I was about them.

This is an important topic to discuss.

Lol my mam comes with me too but sits in the car... only for like 20 mins tho.... it is really important because safety is number one!

I too didn't offer male appointments. I would only treat males who were connected with a current female client of mine. For example, their husband, brother, son etc. I have cancelled appointments I didn't feel quite right about, I also have left appointments I didn't feel comfortable in, and even got the police involved. I used to have an upstairs salon with a side door as access, often I would be in there on my own until around 9pm. I had a barrage of text messages from an unknown number from a guy who said he watched me often and found me very attractive. I had no idea who it was!

I contacted the police who didn't tell me who it was, but that he was "known." They put an alert on my mobile number, house number and salon number so if a 999 call was made they would be at the properties within three minutes. So even as a static therapist, dodgy things can happen. Fortunately nothing ever happened, but it just shows how scary it can be.

That's crazy, I only offer hair app to women who come to me I don't want to be in someone's home for like 3 hours, there's always someone in my house so I'm never alone. I will travel for tanning cause it takes like 20 mins and I only spray women!

It's crazy how we try running a business and these things can make us think twice. there was 2 incidents were I wishes I had listened to my gut feeling which kept me awake the night before I should have cancelled the app but didn't but we learn from experience...

I will know now but I feel bad cancelling cause it's money but my safety is important!

Latest posts

Back