How do you apply your acrylic/L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leely

Reaction score
As the title says?

Do you use the reverse method or apply from free edge?

Which do you prefer and which do you find easier?

Thank you geeks x

I tried reverse method once and it just wasn't for me. I prefer starting at from free edge/zone 1. I find it so much easier x

Are we talking on ourselves or on clients?
On myself I do the reverse method as I find it easier, I also like to extend my nail beds with a cover pink so works well on me.

For clients it would depend on their nails, if they have nice even nail beds then I'd start with zone 1 then onto a nice sheer pink. If their nail beds are uneven then I would probably use a cover pink and the reverse method. I treat every client individually :)

Are we talking on ourselves or on clients?
On myself I do the reverse method as I find it easier, I also like to extend my nail beds with a cover pink so works well on me.

For clients it would depend on their nails, if they have nice even nail beds then I'd start with zone 1 then onto a nice sheer pink. If their nail beds are uneven then I would probably use a cover pink and the reverse method. I treat every client individually :)

Either client or on you. Just wondering what people tend to do and prefer really.
I have only been shown from free edge. So am wondering how hard it would be to so the reverse method x

It depends!
If I need to extend the nail bed, then I go with the reverse application, but if the client has nice nail beds, or if the clients doesn't want to extend them, then I start with the free edges and proceed with pink :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm currently in training for my qualification and am learning the traditional method, so doing them from the free edge. Also teaching myself the reverse method from Young Nail youtubes because that method seems to give such an awesome smile line. But very pleased I'm learning basics first from someone very experienced.

My opinion is that you get a much better structure and balance and more logically and efficiently, starting with zone 1 at the free edge and completing the structure in one go.

I wont say I never use the reverse method but I only use it when re-balancing a French application on an extended nail plate; in this particular instance, I only have to remove the white free edge, file in a new smile line and reapply zone 1 ... very much faster then other methods.

Even when using cover powders and extending the nail bed on a new set, I still start with zone one and complete the nail in a logical progression. There is no advantage in not doing it that way IMPO .. simple what you get used to doing and practice the most.

My advise ... If you are starting out . do one thing WELL and then experiment later... don't try too many techniques at once as you will either confuse yourself or do nothing as well as you could do with the constant practice needed.

Reverse isn't a new way and application from the free edge isn't what I would call 'traditional' as in 'old fashioned' either ... they are just too different ways. One is logical, even, flowing and efficient .. the other is more disjointed and not as efficient but serves one purpose .. it lets some people do a reasonable smile line without the practice of doing it with brush skills. WEll ...... you cannot always do smile lines in the reverse method ... best to learn the skill of making a smile line crisp and beautiful with your brush instead of using an 'edge' to make it for you.

Last edited:
Thankyou for all that information Geeg. I've read it and its been taken onboard by me.

Thank you for your input and advice Geeg :)

I have learnt from zone 1, and was wondering if I would find the reverse method any easier.

I have taken everything you have said on board :)

Thanks again x

Thank you for your input and advice Geeg :)

I have learnt from zone 1, and was wondering if I would find the reverse method any easier.

I have taken everything you have said on board :)

Thanks again x
Nothing is easy if you want to do it well. And easy isn't always best either.

I prefer to do the reverse method, starting from the free edge i always did it to thick lol xx

I would do the same if doing a one colour overlay for the perfect looking natural nail. Or I would use just one bead for the whole nail like many SEA technicians do. I love doing that lol.

Before people ask, you can use CND Cuticle Away in the same way as Carl, by scrubbing with a small brush first; you really do not need to if your work with your tools is thorough .. but it is a different twist if you want to do it. Also like Carl, I haven't buffed a natural nail when using Retention plus for as long as I can remember UNLESS I can see that the clients nail type actually needs to be exfoliated.

Allot of products used for nail prep are used primarily because technicians do not do the best cuticle work and using 'products' or buffing the surface helps eliminate future problems. Kind of similar to hairdressers who use 'products' to get the results that could be got without them, but it takes more skill, talent and possibly longer to get the same result.

Latest posts

Back