How do you avoid warmth on grey hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kate

Reaction score
Hi all
I've got a client with 80% to 90% white hair. She wants foils about a level 8 but really doesn't want any warmth in her hair. Was thinking of 2 parts 88/0, 1 part 8/7 (7 will help with grey coverage i hope) and one part 8/1. Is there any danger that the ash will show on her white her i.e. go grey? Is a quarter 8/1 enough or should I be braver and go for half? Any help appreciated:confused:!
Kate x

Hi,
The double base colours ie. 88/0 if your talking Wella should not be really mixed with anything else to add tones. I was taught by an ex Wella colourist. The 88/0 should be fine on its own mixed with 6% to cover the grey. You are ok to mix with other double bases i.e. half 88/0 and 77/0 to get an in between colour if the 88/0 is too light and a 77/0 to dark. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that! xx

Base 8 on any hair lies in the warm section of the colour spectrum,regardless of if shes white/grey now.
What colour was she before she went white/grey?

If im colouring grey hair and dont want it to throw up too warm i add a little ash,even though their grey its the underlying natural tones that will determine what it turns out like.
x

The natural pigment she has left is about a 6 so I am sure it'll throw up :)confused:) some warmth if I just put the 88/0 on. This is why I'm thinking to add some ash, but am just not sure about the ratio.

It will def chuck up a warm if shes naturally a base 6 then.
I dont use Well but ratio wise with the colour i use would be 8nn(30ml)7nn(10ml)7ash(10ml).
I use this ratio a fair bit if clients are likely to come out warm,if theyre very warm on mid lengths ends already il up the ash to about 20ml for every 40ml of base.
Sorry if its not much help
Hope it goes ok,let us know x

No, that's great help! So I was on the right track. I tend to overthink things and end up gettin a bit paranoid so it's good to get a second opinion.
thanks again! x

Latest posts

Back