How do you chose the right employee?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hey guys hope your all enjoying this lovely weather! I'm very jealous of those at the beach while I'm in the salon hot box though! [emoji295]️

I was just wondering if you have any tips for hiring the right people. I have telephone interviewed two stylists and trade tested them both yday.

Both were great, both needed a bit of extra training. Stylist 1 has a bit more experience ( extensions & hair up ) and stylist 2 was more chatty with clients and had an ever so slightly better feedback from clients I trade tested them on.

I don't really have a gut feeling about either though.

Any advise welcome as I've been stung majorly buy a 'sweet and innocent' girl who turned into a thief and pathological liar! [emoji17]

You’ve had a bad experience with ONE person so you need to be careful not to allow that to cloud your judgement and to treat each new staff member as a blank canvas. I don’t expect my employees to be perfect in the beginning so I’d want someone who has good basic hairdressing skills, is reasonably neat and tidy as they work, willing to work hard and is keen to progress. Having the right attitude is very important.

Was she chatty whilst busily working or did she waste time on meaningless chatter about herself? Social skills are absolutely essential in this job and if the second applicant was better at building a rapport with her clients whilst focusing on what she was doing, that would be a deal maker for me. Clients who feel they’ve had a positive interaction with their hairdresser are more likely to return even if the actual results are not spectacular.

In your position, as you don’t have a gut feeling yet, could you find another 2-3 candidates to try out? I’ve interviewed a lot of candidates over the years (not hairdressing) and you develop an instinct for choosing the right candidate, the more interviews you do.

Good luck.

You’ve had a bad experience with ONE person so you need to be careful not to allow that to cloud your judgement and to treat each new staff member as a blank canvas. I don’t expect my employees to be perfect in the beginning so I’d want someone who has good basic hairdressing skills, is reasonably neat and tidy as they work, willing to work hard and is keen to progress. Having the right attitude is very important.

Was she chatty whilst busily working or did she waste time on meaningless chatter about herself? Social skills are absolutely essential in this job and if the second applicant was better at building a rapport with her clients whilst focusing on what she was doing, that would be a deal maker for me. Clients who feel they’ve had a positive interaction with their hairdresser are more likely to return even if the actual results are not spectacular.

In your position, as you don’t have a gut feeling yet, could you find another 2-3 candidates to try out? I’ve interviewed a lot of candidates over the years (not hairdressing) and you develop an instinct for choosing the right candidate, the more interviews you do.

Good luck.

Fab thankyou for your advise yeah deffo I have two more interested. X

Latest posts

Back