How do you cope?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate1982

Reaction score
My girls are just throwing one problem at me after another. And I don't mean legitimate salon queries I mean just general lack of respect and brains. One of my salon rules is that I don't have more than 2 members of staff on holiday at any one time. I allow one from the beauty dept and and one from the hair. A week ago I noticed that 4 of my girls all had the same week block out. I asked them about it and very excitedly they told me they were going on a girly holiday together. :grr:
When I reminded them about the rule they looked at each other and then at me and then one of them said 'Well its booked now.' What was I to do. I told them I thought it was very inconsiderate of them and left it at that. I don't believe in kicking of and don't think I could even if I wanted to but seriously....................
To top it all off they had booked a full day out the Friday before they go to do each others treatments!!!! On my time with my products.
I know your all gonna say they are taking the P*** and I'm being a pushover but I don't know what else to do. I have a salon rule book. I have talked them all through the rule book and pulled them up when they needed it.
My problem is they are fantastic stylists/therapists and I think they know they have me over a barrel.
I guess what I'm asking is how do you deal with these situations? I'm not a pushover but apart from losing my rag and showing people the door I just don't know what else to do. I have fired 2 people since I took over and thought that might shake the others up but no. They just keep the insults coming.

That's really dissrespectful behaviour:( I know there's not much you can do about it now, but if it was me I would be showing them the door when they get back.. They are not the only good Therapists around, I'm sure you would be able to find a new bunch of girls who are willing to work by your rules and standards. What are you supposed to do when they are all going off on holiday together? Who is covering for them? They are not thinking of you are they? And as for booking themselfs in for treatments on a day they are supposed to be treating paying clients well.....words fail me:mad:

My girls are just throwing one problem at me after another. And I don't mean legitimate salon queries I mean just general lack of respect and brains. One of my salon rules is that I don't have more than 2 members of staff on holiday at any one time. I allow one from the beauty dept and and one from the hair. A week ago I noticed that 4 of my girls all had the same week block out. I asked them about it and very excitedly they told me they were going on a girly holiday together. :grr:
When I reminded them about the rule they looked at each other and then at me and then one of them said 'Well its booked now.' What was I to do. I told them I thought it was very inconsiderate of them and left it at that. I don't believe in kicking of and don't think I could even if I wanted to but seriously....................
To top it all off they had booked a full day out the Friday before they go to do each others treatments!!!! On my time with my products.
I know your all gonna say they are taking the P*** and I'm being a pushover but I don't know what else to do. I have a salon rule book. I have talked them all through the rule book and pulled them up when they needed it.
My problem is they are fantastic stylists/therapists and I think they know they have me over a barrel.
I guess what I'm asking is how do you deal with these situations? I'm not a pushover but apart from losing my rag and showing people the door I just don't know what else to do. I have fired 2 people since I took over and thought that might shake the others up but no. They just keep the insults coming.

If they think they have you over a barrel, tell them they have to pay full price for all the treatments they are planning on doing on each other.

Tell them that they are all going on holiday together and that they are taking the day off so you are losing what they would be earning so to be fair, since they broke the salon rules they have to pay for their treatments before they go.

I personally have two views on what you've stated. Number one, if they want to use your products, they must pay for that and do it during OFF hours. Not as in take time off. As in come in to the salon on their days off.

Number two, I think your having a fit about them taking a vacation together is really unfortunate on your part. You should be grateful and thankful that you have girls who obviously get along so well. They could absolutely hate each other and be fighting over every little tiny thing.

Some of the best girlfriends I've ever had, have been girls I've worked with. I have never once had a manager tell me who I can go on vacation with. And frankly if one did, I'd tell them where to put it.

If you aren't approving vacation/time off requests prior to them being submitted, then that is your fault. If you are, then learn from this and make it clear to your girls that requests are not approved until they have been reviewed by you. If you have amazing girls who are lovely and work together amazingly who take off for one week out of the year together, consider yourself lucky.

I would start advertising for new staff. This behaviour is not acceptable. I would also say that as the holiday has not been approved by you in advance it will be unpaid.

When they get back, each one individually should be subject to a disciplinary meeting. As for the day of treatments, rub it out of the book and say no.

It may be worth looking at a HR solution such as Peninsula. I use them for my staff and they are superb. Whilst no staff are problem free, mine are now much better since the boundaries were set and enforced.

good management can prevent bad situations. you let them think they can approve their own holidays and they will. tough nuggets.

oh, and once you accept that your staff will never be your friends, it gets easier! Whateve you do, it will be wrong in their eyes. In this instance, they will probably slag you off for being a pushover. Understand and accept this concept, and you won't feel so bad saying no to them.

See, in my opinion, the girls should NEVER have booked a holiday without checking first! WTF!? Why would they do that without checking with your boss first? Have they no concept that you might not be happy with this and they would have to cancel? In my current job which I am soon to leave, Royal Navy, if you booked a holiday when i hadn't applied for leave with some of the other girls I worked with and told my boss afterwards I think he would laugh in my face, tell me no chance and deal with it! No whining or we'd get extra duties and our weekend leave canceled!
Believe me, it doesn't matter how good these girls are, if they have no respect for you and are taking the P, why should you have to endure their disrespectful ways? You shouldn't.
It's up to you what you do but put it this way, if I worked for you I wouldn't dream of doing this, I would be thinking myself lucky I had such a nice job and lovely boss in this current work climate, and i'd be working very hard to impress you.
And as for booking themselves in for treatments when they are working, are they turning paying customers away when they are having their treatments? Are they paying any contribution to any treatment? After all they are using your products!
I think they are thoroughly taking the P and for your best interests I think you should either shake things up with them, talking to them one by one they are on their final warning, mentioning about how they need to cancel their 'appointments' or just get new staff. Ultimately it's up to you but they are taking advantage of your good nature.

Half the problem is that people beleive half truths about rights at work. They believe that they cannot be sacked and that a boss can never say no. This is NOT the case. Employers have a LOT of rights. Call ACAS on Monday morning for immediate advice, then I suggest Peninsula.
Then grow a backbone and some thick skin.

Everyone here is quick to blame the employees, but if the OP isnt laying down rules, then it's her fault in the first place. If you are letting the girls book their own vacation time without you approving it, then it's your fault!

Yes they knew they should only book one off at a time, but if you weren't
supervising then what?

So yes, you are being a huge pushover. Don't fix the symptoms (girls taking time off together), fix the PROBLEM (lack of rules and supervision).

Like naughty children, your staff won't change their behaviour until you change yours.

You really need to toughen up (much easier said than done!) & say something about the holiday. Either they can't go or they get a warning for flouting your rules.

As for the appointments booked before they go away??? Unless they're paying for it, I'd be cancelling that out of the appointment book. Full paying clients ALWAYS come 1st. They pay the wages, don't forget.

What about your other staff? How do they feel about the 4 going away together. Will this cause resentment with them?

No matter how good you think they are, there's always someone better or equally as good. Nobody in this industry is indispensible.

Good luck with it all :)

I would start advertising for new staff. This behaviour is not acceptable. I would also say that as the holiday has not been approved by you in advance it will be unpaid.

When they get back, each one individually should be subject to a disciplinary meeting. As for the day of treatments, rub it out of the book and say no.

It may be worth looking at a HR solution such as Peninsula. I use them for my staff and they are superb. Whilst no staff are problem free, mine are now much better since the boundaries were set and enforced.

Excellent advice!

They may think they have got one over on you and presented you with a fait accompli but this advice puts you back in control of the situation and your salon!

Especially the advice re cancelling the day of treatments.

Jacqui xx

Last edited:
I personally have two views on what you've stated. Number one, if they want to use your products, they must pay for that and do it during OFF hours. Not as in take time off. As in come in to the salon on their days off.

Number two, I think your having a fit about them taking a vacation together is really unfortunate on your part. You should be grateful and thankful that you have girls who obviously get along so well. They could absolutely hate each other and be fighting over every little tiny thing.

Some of the best girlfriends I've ever had, have been girls I've worked with. I have never once had a manager tell me who I can go on vacation with. And frankly if one did, I'd tell them where to put it.

If you aren't approving vacation/time off requests prior to them being submitted, then that is your fault. If you are, then learn from this and make it clear to your girls that requests are not approved until they have been reviewed by you. If you have amazing girls who are lovely and work together amazingly who take off for one week out of the year together, consider yourself lucky.

I can see where your coming from by staff getting along etc, but if the employer only has four therapists and they all decide to go off on holiday together then where does that leave her? How can she run a business with no staff?

Horrible situation Kate1982 - I think you have to accept you let this happen - they are not taking you seriously - but you can learn from it and make sure you never allow your staff to dictate to you again.

As most on here are saying it can be very lonely being Boss - that why the other business owners on SG are so good - not just for advice but for moral support - I feel for you and want you to toughen up - Persianista is, as always, so right please follow her advice, it may get worse before it gets better but it will get better and you will have the salon you want, but you have to take that first hard step and lay down the law. If you need support - post for help.

If you are fair and consistent they may not be your friends but they will respect you and that is essential - Good luck x

This situation sounds like hell. All my staff are self employed so I'm not sure what you can do with getting rid of them but Persanistas advice sounds best. It's so hard being the boss, most bosses I've had I've really admired and always thought 'I'd hate to do that job' as you can hear other staff bit*hing and whining if they have been pulled up on something they have done wrong!!!

You can be strong and you have to know at the end of the day it's your salon, that thought helps me alot...

Thankyou for all your replys. I should have pointed out that of course I have canceled out the treatments they have booked in and reminded them of the salon rules on a one to one basis. One rule also being 'they can perform treatments on each other but within their own time or when the salon is quiet.' They cannot book the time out. During the individual meeting I have put them all on thir 1st warning.

As people have pointed out they should have come to me to approve the holiday which they didn't. I do have holiday sub forms which they failed to use. Part of me thinks its is a big test by them to see what I am made of.

Persianista excellent advice as always. I may not be as savvy as you yet but I am trying to get there. I did call acas to make sure I was within my rights and to make sure I could give them thier 1st warning. I definately know my staff will never be my friends nor do I want them to be. I ran the beauty side of my business very well for 7 years but since taking over the hair salon I have found the hairdressers to be much stronger personalities.

Eskimonailtech I have always appreciated that my staff get along. But as well as appreciating that fact it also comes with its downsides such as this and the fact I have to rota them so they don't all work together or else nothing gets done. (Like naughty school children.)

I have 7 staff in my salon. While they are on holiday this leaves me with one therapists and junior stylist and a junior. So yes of course I have no right to tell them who they can and can't go on holiday with but when they take pretty much my whole salon with them I think that's just ridiculous.

Haidressers are generally big personalities, they have to be to do thier jobs. When non hairdressers have a hair salon, this is the type of issue they often face.

You have to be extra ordinarily firm with this issue. Otherwise these girls will run rings round you. Start advertising for staff now. You need to be prepared. Try and have a new hairdresser in place before this holiday and book all clients in with the new girl. Punish these ladies for their lack of respect for your salon. Cut their perks.
I had a similar problem once with the treatment thing. It turned into almost a power struggle. I ended up imposing a £30 per month of free treatments budget.

Stamp your authority a few times, give out warnings, and you will find fewer problems present themselves in the future.

Haidressers are generally big personalities, they have to be to do thier jobs. When non hairdressers have a hair salon, this is the type of issue they often face.

You have to be extra ordinarily firm with this issue. Otherwise these girls will run rings round you. Start advertising for staff now. You need to be prepared. Try and have a new hairdresser in place before this holiday and book all clients in with the new girl. Punish these ladies for their lack of respect for your salon. Cut their perks.
I had a similar problem once with the treatment thing. It turned into almost a power struggle. I ended up imposing a £30 per month of free treatments budget.

Stamp your authority a few times, give out warnings, and you will find fewer problems present themselves in the future.

Whoa tough love, lol

Respect!

Jacqui xx

some brilliant advice here and if I may add my 2 pence worth

ALWAYS use holiday forms - after introducing them I had no problems, the rule was no more than 2 staff off at the same time and holiday must be signed off by me prior to flights etc being booked or it will be treated as absent without leave and would result in disciplinary action for gross misconduct.

Don't be afraid to take action as described above if your staff flount the rules. I held full investigatory meeting as required by law, the decision to refuse holiday was upheld and she left (without giving notice) as she had booked a trip and couldn't cancel it or she'd lose her deposit.

If they get away with it once, they will do it again and again. This does nothing for your self confidence, the girls will not respect you for it and it causes bad feeling amongst the other staff.

As persianista says, start advertising for new staff, as well as having someone ready to step in, it will show the team that you are not prepared to put up with this sort of behaviour. DAS run a similar service to Peninsula - worth their weight in gold in my opinion. Run issues such as this past them in the future and you can be reassured that if things go pear shaped you have proper support.

I would also advise firm control/QC of your customers, remember they are coming to YOUR salon for the experience YOUR business provides as a whole. Yes, they are seeing an individual therapist but you don't want the therapist to bugger off and take your clients....if you are offering over and above the service offered by the therapist as an individual, the client will be loyal to you not them.

Good luck.

I can't believe you just let them block out holiday without consent! You should have holiday forms for them to fill out and give to you as a request when they want holiday and you can approve the dates or reject. I would be in so much trouble if i just blocked out days i wanted off without requesting them first. My advice regarding the day booked out for them doing treatments on each other is say no!! A good way of dealing with 'free treatments' is allow them 1 hour per month of free treatments and this must be taken on their day off, not when they should be working.
They sound like a nightmare! You need to tell them that in future no holidays should be booked without you okaying the request.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back