How do you cope?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.
Persianista I definately agree. The hair industry does seem to attract a diff personality to the beauty industry. I wasn't prepared for that. But I'm getting there.

As I have said I do use holiday forms and they do know that they must submit them before booking a holiday. However they didn't. I believe it's because they knew I wouldn't approve it. Therefore they just went ahead. They did seem pretty shocked at the official warning I gave them and just got a text from one of them today telling me she is very sorry and enjoys working at my salon and doesn't want to get fired. (I haven't replied as I hate getting into text dialogues. I prefer them to speak direct to me.)

Persianista I would love to look for another member of staff but I have my queries with that which I think I will try to seek advice on in another thead.

Again thank you all for your advice and support.

Personally I would have asked to see the evidence that it was actually booked. They may have booked it out and were just waiting to hear your comments. Then thinking they got away with it went and booked it. The years of management I have experienced has led me to always question and don't take things at face value. These girls have treated you disrespectfully and you have to mark their cards. I would still be inclined to check when it was booked and if they have misinformed you, tell them its unpaid holiday because they have not followed procedure.

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Personally I would have asked to see the evidence that it was actually booked. They may have booked it out and were just waiting to hear your comments. Then thinking they got away with it went and booked it. The years of management I have experienced has led me to always question and don't take things at face value. These girls have treated you disrespectfully and you have to mark their cards. I would still be inclined to check when it was booked and if they have misinformed you, tell them its unpaid holiday because they have not followed procedure.

from Debbie's HTC Sense

I always like to be fair but in this instance it would be such a great lesson if you could do this!

Jacqui xx

I also like to be fair Jacqui and often been called too soft at times but feel you have to weigh things up with evidence. The poor OP, I presume, is going to be out of pocket with them all off together. They have to put themselves in the owners shoes to appreciate how detrimental this all is

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Oh and yes, how satisfying would it be lol

from Debbie's HTC Sense

I would definately tell them (providing the legalities allow) that because it was unauthorised holiday, they will have to take it unpaid.

Why should you be expected to pay 4 members of staff holiday pay all at once, when they are leaving you with less than half staffing to make the money to pay them?!

Not fair at all. Be firm, the phrase 'show them who's boss' isn't used for no reason! :hug:

Taggy, now that I've pondered a little what I think I should have said previously was NOT that I like to be fair (which I do) but that I don't like to be spiteful and take delight in the actions we have been discussing ... BUT IN THIS INSTANCE I do, and I would love to see these girls faces if she could say to them that as the holiday leave has been taken and not authorised they will not be paid.

At least one of the girls has made contact and apologised. She's obviously realised she could be out of work if she pulls another stunt like that.

Jacqui xx

Lol. Jacqui I do have to say, without being cringe worthy, I love reading your comments. I think you write with much thought and dignity

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Lol. Jacqui I do have to say, without being cringe worthy, I love reading your comments. I think you write with much thought and dignity

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Thank you so much, I don't think its cringe worthy at all .. I think it shows a generous heart, big hug for you.

Jacqui xx

I would definately tell them (providing the legalities allow) that because it was unauthorised holiday, they will have to take it unpaid.

Why should you be expected to pay 4 members of staff holiday pay all at once, when they are leaving you with less than half staffing to make the money to pay them?!

Not fair at all. Be firm, the phrase 'show them who's boss' isn't used for no reason! :hug:

I totally agree with this.. I also have 7 staff + one minute they want you to act as their friend, the next their boss!!! It's a nightmare!!.. I now have a manageress to run my salon (she does an excellent job) and I run my online business. They would DEFINATELY be going on holiday with a written warning+NO pay.. Be tough!!!

Thank you so much, I don't think its cringe worthy at all .. I think it shows a generous heart, big hug for you.

Jacqui xx

Get a room you two :Grope:
lol :biggrin:
x

Kate1982, do apologise seemed to have swayed from your post. Hope you get it all sorted out. Please keep us updated.

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Haidressers are generally big personalities, they have to be to do thier jobs. When non hairdressers have a hair salon, this is the type of issue they often face.

You have to be extra ordinarily firm with this issue. Otherwise these girls will run rings round you. Start advertising for staff now. You need to be prepared. Try and have a new hairdresser in place before this holiday and book all clients in with the new girl. Punish these ladies for their lack of respect for your salon. Cut their perks.
I had a similar problem once with the treatment thing. It turned into almost a power struggle. I ended up imposing a £30 per month of free treatments budget.

Stamp your authority a few times, give out warnings, and you will find fewer problems present themselves in the future.

a horrid situation for you Kate, and I feel for you. No advise im afraid, but had to say in my usual Essex twang, cor blimey, Persianista, you are GOOD! lol
:Love:

I had thought about the no pay. But I didn't think I would be within my rights so didn't ask acas about it. I will check that 1st thing tomoro and if they say I am then I will def do it.

I did see the booking form so I know they had booked it when I found out. I asked them when they were planning on telling me and they all passed the buck amongst them.

I had thought about the no pay. But I didn't think I would be within my rights so didn't ask acas about it. I will check that 1st thing tomoro and if they say I am then I will def do it.

I did see the booking form so I know they had booked it when I found out. I asked them when they were planning on telling me and they all passed the buck amongst them.

Surely unauthorised absence= no pay... I really feel for you.. I've had a few problems but on the whole nothing on the scale that you've got. From an employers point of view,if you let them get away with it they'll not stop+then what will it be next time? There is going to have to be some sort of compromise here.Good staff are hard to find but there still needs to be boundaries... Good luck x

I dont see how the excuse of the holiday already being booked can stand. SO WHAT! They didnt get permission to go in the first place! If they care about their job that much, they can sell their tickets to some friends who can go instead. Or they can go bye the rules, and two of them can go and find two others to go with them from outside of work. What they do about it is up to them. If I was being employed in a great salon where I was loving the job and the people and I booked a holiday before asking, ansd was told I couldnt go, I would just sell the tickets to someone and think my self lucky that I still had a job in this day and age. Do you you know what, I would find out if you are within your rights to give them the ultimatum, ether ditch the holiday or get fired. x

I dont see how the excuse of the holiday already being booked can stand. SO WHAT! They didnt get permission to go in the first place! If they care about their job that much, they can sell their tickets to some friends who can go instead. Or they can go bye the rules, and two of them can go and find two others to go with them from outside of work. What they do about it is up to them. If I was being employed in a great salon where I was loving the job and the people and I booked a holiday before asking, ansd was told I couldnt go, I would just sell the tickets to someone and think my self lucky that I still had a job in this day and age. Do you you know what, I would find out if you are within your rights to give them the ultimatum, ether ditch the holiday or get fired. x

I agree 100% there is no other job that i have ever been in that would allow 4 people off at the same time.

What silly girls have they no sense, they certainly have no respect!

Thats bang out of order what they are doing to you, Persianista's a clever wee thing isnt she, some good advice there, but also, i cant help thinking they know the turmoil they are leaving behind, this couldnt be some underhanded way of prooving their worth, fully aware how hard it will be to cope when they're not there (a case of we're all lapping it up on holiday i wonder how theyre managing back home) if thats the case they'll be asking you for a payrise next, i'd start looking for new, even better staff. i mean they have been willing to leave you completely in the lurch, i dont think much of them, (i'd start building up a case, every little thing so can ditch them when you get your new staff)

I think you should get new staff you have had nothing but problems with this lot since you took the salon over i also think alot of it sounds like there jealous of you taking over maybe they think it should have been one of them .They dont seam to get the fact you have kept them in a job when there is not very many out there or how your meant to pay there holiday pay when there is no staff in the salon to bring money in .Im sure there is loads of girls out there who would love the chance to work in your salon . I know how your feeling with all the crap they keep throwing at you my other stylist left a few weeks ago she was self employed but not making enough money so im the only one doing hair just now . I hope you get it sorted thinking of you keep your chin up and dont let them grind you down xxxxx

Latest posts

Back