How do you deal with no shows?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartW

Reaction score
I suppose its the nature of this type of business, but No Shows are a real bind.....particularly at this time of year when often demand for appointments outstrip availability.

How do you deal with No Shows?

It's also the cancellations half hour before their appointments , with "Being called into work". I have downloaded Shedul app and am going to introduce an online booking system where they will pay a non refundable booking fee.

It's also the cancellations half hour before their appointments , with "Being called into work". I have downloaded Shedul app and am going to introduce an online booking system where they will pay a non refundable booking fee.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, the last minute call (assuming that call comes) is a real PITA and it can be too late to refill the slot. Undoubtedly there are good reasons for last minute cancellations or even No Show. I guess only experience can teach us genuine and not so genuine.

Although very reluctant to introduce a system where payment card details are taken at the time of booking, it now seems this may be the only way. Currently using Picktime. The alternative is a different booking system eg Shedul. Only problem is advertising, business cards and pricing menus all show the current booking system as Picktime. Unsure if facility to provide payment card details is available with Picktime. Anyone know?

I take a £10 on all bookings and make it extremely clear that under no circumstances will they get this back if they cancel within 48 hours. This is taken on my website when they book. They get an email reminder and text reminder 3 days before the appointment. Since I set this up I haven't had a no show in 3 years. I still get the odd cancellation but you know its a genuine reason - so I decide case by case what I'm going to do regarding their deposit.
I did have someone recently annoyed about it, but once I explain that I pay for my daughter to be childcare so I can do their treatments, they then start to get it. I honestly can't afford for people not to turn up.

I take a £10 on all bookings and make it extremely clear that under no circumstances will they get this back if they cancel within 48 hours. This is taken on my website when they book. They get an email reminder and text reminder 3 days before the appointment. Since I set this up I haven't had a no show in 3 years. I still get the odd cancellation but you know its a genuine reason - so I decide case by case what I'm going to do regarding their deposit.
I did have someone recently annoyed about it, but once I explain that I pay for my daughter to be childcare so I can do their treatments, they then start to get it. I honestly can't afford for people not to turn up.

Thanks for your reply.

Which software do you use to take the booking and deposit?

Like others have said, a combinations of SMS reminders and cancellation fees is the best way to handle it. You can never eliminate the problem but can reduce it.

I don't take a booking fee but my business is quite small.
What I have always done is send a reminder sms 24hours prior to appt reminding them of the appointment but more importantly asking them to reply YES via sms and if not received then their appointment will be cancelled.
This has worked extremely well for me.
If my business was larger I would be sending the reminder AND taking a booking fee.

Thanks for all the replies.

Each client is reminded of their appointment 24 hours before hand. Often another message is sent a couple of hours beforehand. Even this is not enough. The last 4 weeks or so, due to No-Show, has a financial cost of £150-£200.....thats quite a bit for an established business let alone a business in its first 12 months.

The idea of requesting YES to a reminder is an interesting means and may be worth trying.

Thanks all.

Thanks for all the replies.

Each client is reminded of their appointment 24 hours before hand. Often another message is sent a couple of hours beforehand. Even this is not enough. The last 4 weeks or so, due to No-Show, has a financial cost of £150-£200.....thats quite a bit for an established business let alone a business in its first 12 months.

The idea of requesting YES to a reminder is an interesting means and may be worth trying.

Thanks all.

I must have jinxed myself!
I had 2 auto reminder sms go out that day, neither replied [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

So I found myself at 6.30pm having to message them. They are both long term clients and this is the only reason I messaged them.

Both apologised and confirmed they would be at their appts.
But so annoying. Luckily for me it was only two, imagine if it were 10!

To them they are only one person, they don't realise what it's like for us to schedule our day around ALL our clients.

I am going to send out a generic message via Shedul reminding my clients how important it is to reply and say I will start enforcing my cancellation policy if I do not get the YES reply.

Seriously these are grown women, I feel like they can act like toddlers at times.

I will add these are the ones who always stuff me around, changing appts, turning up 10 mins late consistently etc etc.

So with my other lovely clients who always reply to my sms are are always on time, I go that extra mile..... Don't always charge for simple artwork etc.they get the very best if me because they RESPECT my time.

Sorry for the rant, it just grinds me so much.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

Which software do you use to take the booking and deposit?

I have a wix website, so I upgraded for it to take online deposit payments. Its a cost to me, but saves me money in the long run, as like I said - I haven't had a no show in 3 years. I work from home, self employed, so can't afford for people not to show up. I've had my website for 4 years and its the best thing I ever did - as I don't have to do any advertising and the majority of my clients book online - easier for them and for me!

Ok so I have discovered that Shedul/Fresha have made some changes to their system.
I do not recommend this anymore due to the changes they have made are no longer suited for my business.
They have taken away the option to have your own personalised reminder sent. Now its generic with the words NO REPLY. Hence why clients were not responding to my reminder sms.

I do not like the changes and no one at Shedul is replying to my emails.

Seemed they sucked in customers at the get go and now they are changing things and have ZERO customer service.

I would pay for this service IF it was more tailored to suit my needs but it appears not to be.

I take deposits x

Take deposit and make your terms clear at the point of booking x

We have a really old booking system..good old paper diary, we find this easier so that we can re arrange appointments easily if we need to. It just means that we haven’t got a system to take deposits unless we take them over the phone after every appointment made which could be quite time consuming. We have had ALOT of no shows recently which is very frustrating and when we ring to ask where they are they don’t answer, we do leave an answer phone message informing they have forgotten...that said, would the best way be to send them a text reminding them of their appointment like you have said? Would you use a separate ‘work’ phone?

We have a really old booking system..good old paper diary, we find this easier so that we can re arrange appointments easily if we need to. It just means that we haven’t got a system to take deposits unless we take them over the phone after every appointment made which could be quite time consuming. We have had ALOT of no shows recently which is very frustrating and when we ring to ask where they are they don’t answer, we do leave an answer phone message informing they have forgotten...that said, would the best way be to send them a text reminding them of their appointment like you have said? Would you use a separate ‘work’ phone?

Everything you say cries out of a computer system, there is a direct link between lots of no shows and not using a computer system. I am not sure why you find paper to be easier, but based on other people I have worked with it is more about familiarisation rather than actual ease of use. A computer system will send the reminders out automatically for you, spending an hour a day sending out messages on your phone doesn't seem like good use of time.

We have online booking linked to our website. Clients receive an email confirming their appointment and a text reminder 24 hours before. It's in our terms and conditions that we request 24 hours notice or a 50% charge will be incurred. Less than 2 hours notice or a no show and they are charged the full amount. Clients pay this or they don't come back. We have so few no shows and those that do offer to pay for their missed appointment.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back