How do you explain your CND qualifications to salons?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helward87

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Hoping some one can help!!

I am currently Going through the process of renting a space in a hairdressers (so I'll be self employed).

They've asked to see copies of my certs which I've happily provided but now they're questioning if it's nvq or vtct.

I've explained to her that's is fully accredited and nationally recognised, and is actually a well regarded qualification in terms Of nails, but she doesn't understand and she thinks it's a problem...

What can I do, or how can I word it? Have any of you had to overcome this before?!

I also provided proof of my insurance (ABT) to show that it's not an issue...

HELP please [emoji120] xx

Why does she think it's a problem? You have qualified and are self employed therefore you are paying her to rent the space x

Why does she think it's a problem? You have qualified and are self employed therefore you are paying her to rent the space x

Thanks for replying :) yes this did cross my mind but I'm trying not to be difficult or get off on the wrong foot as it were ....

It's not the first time I've come across it tbh - I had an interview at a salon that had won awards and they also tried to tell me that not having an nvq/vtct was going to be a problem (although this was on an employed basis).
I want to arm myself with a professional description and explanation of just what my CND certificates stand for as I feel a lot of salons/employers are under valuing my skills because they don't recognise my certs xx

It's just another route you have taken to get qualified instead of following the usual NVQ route which is easier for younger people to achieve.

You could try explaining it to them this way...

When you apply for University, they usually ask for A levels, but other routes are perfectly acceptable such as Access courses, BTEC, GNVQ, OU credits and if a mature student, life experience on the subject you are applying for. For example, a programmer who wants to start a degree in computer science has no formal qualifications, but has years of experience and built many successful applications and worked for companies in the past, comparing to that of a fresh school leaver who has just finished school with A levels and has no experience of working in the real world.

So in my view, balance both your qualifications (your insurance cover) AND your experience.

It's just another route you have taken to get qualified instead of following the usual NVQ route which is easier for younger people to achieve.

You could try explaining it to them this way...

When you apply for University, they usually ask for A levels, but other routes are perfectly acceptable such as Access courses, BTEC, GNVQ, OU credits and if a mature student, life experience on the subject you are applying for. For example, a programmer who wants to start a degree in computer science has no formal qualifications, but has years of experience and built many successful applications and worked for companies in the past, comparing to that of a fresh school leaver who has just finished school with A levels and has no experience of working in the real world.

So in my view, balance both your qualifications (your insurance cover) AND your experience.

Thank you that's exactly what i needed - I just couldn't think of a way to put it into words [emoji122][emoji122] thank you!! Xx

No problems and glad to be of help, I am a PhD researcher in a top 10 University and I do know about these issues :)

You could also put together a portfolio of your work to show? Or offer to do a set of nails on a model of their choice to show your skills?

I would just explain that in our industry the majority of training is provided by the nail companies not just NVQ and that CND is one of the leading nail education and product companies in the world and is very well respected in the industry.

You could ask the salon to call CND directly so they can explain to them about your qualifications and how they translate to NVQs and VTCT qualifications

Thanks all!! I went onto explain that I opted to go down the nvq route and explained about CND and my reason for choosing them over an NVQ.

The owner is still insistent I'm not qualifies without an nvq but luckily I have now accepted an alternative Job offer!! :) xx

It seems the NVQ is EVERYTHING!!!!
In my experience, it's sadly lacking.

You can't beat a trade test.....
I don't know anyone who's failed their NVQ.:rolleyes:

It seems the NVQ is EVERYTHING!!!!
In my experience, it's sadly lacking.

You can't beat a trade test.....
I don't know anyone who's failed their NVQ.:rolleyes:

My thoughts too but then there isn't really a constructive way of telling someone that.
Oh well, onwards and upwards :)

As it goes the job I accepted today made there judgement based on a trade test! X

In the past I have explained as I would have been a mature student the idea of college wasn't for me so went for private courses which have other like minded people and smaller groups so you receive a better training from it x

My thoughts too but then there isn't really a constructive way of telling someone that.
Oh well, onwards and upwards :)

As it goes the job I accepted today made there judgement based on a trade test! X

Congratulations :)

Latest posts

Back