how do you file the finished nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherryblossom

Reaction score
Hi all just thought id ask as many of us was taught a different way, when you have finished applying your gel/acrylic and both hands have cured, how do you file your clients nails to remove all the bumps to get the finished result? i was taught to file the free edge to thin it out , then window the nails starting at the side walls then cuticle area, and lightly smooth the arch way, once this has been done then go over lightly with a snow block, just wondered if any one does this any different? x

anyone? hey don't all awnser at once :lol:

Hello, i file the outline first to perfect the shape with a thin 240 grit file, then i use a either a sand turtle or koala buffer to shape.I look down the side first to check the shape and file accordingly, generaly in a curved fashion from cuticle to free edge.Sometimes i refine the nail with a 180 grit file and use glaze and go by nsi , it depends on what the client wants.:)

I refine the shape with a 240, I sculpt with the brush not the file so there is hardly any work that needs doing in regards to "shaping" the enhancement with the abrasive... I then go over with a gold block to get out the scratches, then 1200 with oil, then 3 way buffer or 2 way glosser (which ever I have on hand at the time)

I use my outblack or blizzard to shape the FE then bring in the sidewalls.. smooth the cuticle.. my boomerang padded to shape the arch.. then buff in oil with my koal or boomerang.. then i use my girlfriend and glosser..:green:

Oh YES Buy Nailclass, the best nail tech book that has ever been written, even for me who is not english the book is very easy to read and understand, and it is written in a language that is easy to understand also for the new nail tech, i have read it now 100 of times and i still can learn something new from it every time, you will not regret buying the book :)

Hi all just thought id ask as many of us was taught a different way, when you have finished applying your gel/acrylic and both hands have cured, how do you file your clients nails to remove all the bumps to get the finished result? i was taught to file the free edge to thin it out , then window the nails starting at the side walls then cuticle area, and lightly smooth the arch way, once this has been done then go over lightly with a snow block, just wondered if any one does this any different? x
I think it sounds like you have a good finishing routine....are you having some problems with it?

I start by bringing the sidewalls in, then refine cuticle area (then imagine dividing the nail into 3 parts) starting at the cuticle area, then stress area, then work toward the free edge, then finally shaping, as every other aspect defines the shape. I always say "start at the cuticle This is the root of the nail shape" (just as a tree grows from the roots up, not from the leaves down). But in all reality, your brush/application should be doing most of your work for you, not your file.

Latest posts

Back