How do YOU file the natural nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
Do you go from side to center or back and forth?

Ouch, most definantly on the natural nail from side to centre,to n fro is ok on the end of an extensionxxx

am i right that now its acceptable to file back and forth? Kinda like potaoes used to be bad for you, but now they are great,lol.

am i right that now its acceptable to file back and forth?

The Geek said:
Free the edge man...

I then shape the free edge of the natural nail plate with a 240 grit abrasive (Kanga board).

Before you ask (and I knew you would)… no, I don’t file side to centre. The reason being is that derms are now suggesting that using gentle motions and a gentle abrasive in a back and forth direction on the natural nail free edge actually helps to prevent splitting and peeling of the natural nail plate.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

hth's

i was trained years ago and still always go side to centre , lol , i know the new files are millions times better but old habits and that :lol:

There is nothing wrong with old habits (as long as they are safe habits).

It is perfectly acceptable to file gently in a back and forth motion with todays fine abrasives.

It is also perfectly acceptable to do it in the old fashioned way (and sometimes a more symetrical shape is acheived in this way too).

So take your pick.

Good to know we have a choice :green:

However since the question was "what do you do" and not "what should you do", lol, just for the record, I tend to go side to centre. :lol:

Well i too go from side to centre unless i am taking quite a bit of length off then i go back and forth, then side to centre to finnish as i manage to get a more uniform shape :)

ღMandyღ;635618 said:
Well i too go from side to centre unless i am taking quite a bit of length off then i go back and forth, then side to centre to finnish as i manage to get a more uniform shape :)

I do exactly the same.

I do the same as Geeg too, only side to side to get off some length, then side to centre.

ღMandyღ;635618 said:

Same here too, so a bit of both!! :)

Latest posts

Back