how do you get a smile line with flakes of mylar?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1nails

Reaction score
:rolleyes:Just got some today and have been practicing tonight,

I applied the form and then with a bead of clear I picked up some flakes and applied them. They were very messy, difficult to place, didn't lie flat, and it was difficult trying to creat a smile.

I might try it with the reverse technique but just wondered how everyone else does it.

Thank you.:rolleyes:

What are flakes of mylar? :confused:

Cracked ice. Like shards of irridescant see through stuff.

Got some from Young Nails today but some of the shards are quite big.

Hope somebody can help.

You might find it easier to place them as you do with rhinestones and then apply a clear l&p/gel over them. Just apply, cut and blend the tip as normal, apply a resin or clear polish to the tip, apply the flakes using a dampened orange stick, and apply the clear product over them.

:)

Cracked ice. Like shards of irridescant see through stuff.

Got some from Young Nails today but some of the shards are quite big.

Hope somebody can help.

While they are still in the bag rub it together and they break up so you have smaller pieces. I think you can also get paper like this in some craft stores in the scrap booking section and gift basket stuff

While they are still in the bag rub it together and they break up so you have smaller pieces. I think you can also get paper like this in some craft stores in the scrap booking section and gift basket stuff

sounds like a top tip to me...:idea:

this may sound a bit out there but I was just thinking what if you layed down the mylar then with a straight razor go over the smile line that will give you a clean straight line you wouldnt cut the client im sure the paper cuts very easy :irked: i dunno just thinking out loud

I would do what Laystar says and place something down first for your flakes to stick to, then apply them first, then overlay with L&p or gel.

I have found if you pick them up with your product, you get an uneven finish and a very jagged smile line.

i would also try making the flakes smaller as this makes doing a smile easier. When you apply some on the smile, you then use a brush to sweep the smile and hopefully give you a clean edge.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you all for your help.

I did the reverse application and put some glitter acrylic on my free edge, then I put a form on and used clear acrylic and some of the mylar flakes on top of the glitter and extending over the free edge.

It was hard work doing it on myself and messy because the flakes kept sticking up and I wasn't sure how to apply it, but it has given a fantastic result. I really love the irradescence of it.

I previously had a french black tip but seeing as I am a student I wanted my nails noticed more and I think this definately works.

The colours are fantastic.

I just need a bit more practice with it.

If I knew how to upload pictures I would show you.

Yes, reverse application is deffo the way forward when using stuff like this, as long as you sweep a great smile line in your pink you can't really go wrong with maylar or similar as long as you apply it right up to the reverse smile line in your pink & cap with clear.

Just done a search and picked up a tip from Karren.

I put some of the icy mylar in with the clear powder and mixed it up (it said to not use a lot of icy mylar in the mix) Then wet my brush as normal and pick a bead up and apply as normal.

It definately went on easier.

I don't think it matters much about the smile line if the icy mylar is not too concentrated on one area.

Thanks

My flakes are in a small container, i chop at them with scissors whilst they are still in the container so that they dont flick all over the place. I use a very small bead across the free edge for the mylar flakes to adhere to. I then pick up a normal size bead and apply to the free edge using my brush to tidy up.

also ...Yes it is easier if you do the reverse technique if you are trying to create a crisp smile line with it and cap your design off with clear.
I agree if you use revers application it is a much crisper smile line

so have i got this rite you put on a layer of l&p then mylar then another layer to seal in????

This would be easy but by the time you are ready to put the flakes in position wouldn't the first layer or l&p dried

Does anybody use nail glue or resin to position things on clear L&P before putting a final layer over?

A woman I saw do nail art at a recent class, laid some out on a piece of paper, picker up her ball of l & p then touched the ball to mylar then applied the ball as usual. I have tried it this way to experiment with good results, but have not done it on actual client, so don't know how it lasts. I have also mixed it with my powder then applied as usual. Anyway does any of this help?

kinda just confused
will mess around and try
thanks

A woman I saw do nail art at a recent class, laid some out on a piece of paper, picker up her ball of l & p then touched the ball to mylar then applied the ball as usual. I have tried it this way to experiment with good results, but have not done it on actual client, so don't know how it lasts. I have also mixed it with my powder then applied as usual. Anyway does any of this help?

Thats how I do it but I put a tiny bead on to the free edge first.to help adherence. I then pick up another bead, dip into the mylar and place on to the free edge. Swipe in your smile line as you usually would, then finish as usual. I always seal my l & p with a coat of finish gel. I dont use adhesive for mylar as I think this would impair adhesion of the l&p to the natural nail (hope that makes sense).

thats what i was worried about but thanks for clearing it up
thanks

Latest posts

Back