How do you guys handle late clients in the salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweat&shears

Reaction score
Lately I’ve been having a lot of clients show up late to me. I used to just laugh and say “it’s ok” when they gave me some BS excuse as to why they were late to an appt they JUST MADE. But it’s not ok and I need to find away to respond to their excuses that doesn’t sound too mean but isn’t saying it’s ok either.... but if they’re more than 15 minutes late I make them reschedule no matter what. I’m not trying to train clients to think they can keep doing that. Thanks!

Lately I’ve been having a lot of clients show up late to me. I used to just laugh and say “it’s ok” when they gave me some BS excuse as to why they were late to an appt they JUST MADE. But it’s not ok and I need to find away to respond to their excuses that doesn’t sound too mean but isn’t saying it’s ok either.... but if they’re more than 15 minutes late I make them reschedule no matter what. I’m not trying to train clients to think they can keep doing that. Thanks!
I find the easiest way to address it would be generic message to all clients rather than a personal conversation. We adressd this by putting signs up in the salon and on any social media. When people mention it, I make refernece to visit to the dentist or doctors, if you show up late for the a doctors or dentist appointment they tell you that you've missed your appointment and you have to reschedule. Then I go on to explain that they get annoyed dif I have to keep them waiting, and the reason why we don't see people who are late is to prevent that. If client A turns up 15mins late to her 30minute root appointment, and I carry out the service, I am then eating in to client Bs appointment Time this has a knock on effect throughout the day and you're unlikely to make that time back. They usually understand. If it's 5 minutes late then I can make that time back, by either cutting the consultation, or having a junior to gown up, get the colours ready etc.. If someone's late to a full head of highlights and it's more than 10minutes then I will only offer half head or 3/4 to make up the time difference. Clients need to learn to respect our time, as we do theirs. It has to be a mutual commitment. In our job we always feel like we have to be the people pleaser! And by pleasing 1 late client who doesn't respect your time, you could offend /annoy 3 other regular, committed clients who don't cause you any problem, who may not return because you have made them 15 mins late for the school run, or their dentist appointment.... Which then results in lost revenue, no lunch break that day, and potentially the same issue again in 6 weeks time and one big vicious circle. I hope this helps and makes sense!

Latest posts

Back