How do you handle client family members, whilst mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sher16

Reaction score
As above, for Mobile Geeks, how do you handle awkward family members whilst you are mobile?

For example, naughty children touching your things ignoring their Mum who is telling them to stop; naughty children who are touching your things and their Mum not batting an eyelid; Husbands annoyed their wife hasnt told them you are coming or that they are paying...

Sounds random but I experience the above alot, not everyday but atleast every couple of weeks.

Last week I had to wait 20mins after packing up for my client to drive to cashline and return because her husband was livid she was getting her nails done and he refused to give her money to pay me, whilst I was sat there they argued like mad until she stormed out to go to the local shop whilst I sat there!

Last month I had someones child keep lifting my glitters, foils etc, my client did nothing so I politely made a joke about not touching other peoples things as they were expensive. She kept doing it, I looked at her Mum for back up, nothing, I told her again that she couldnt touch those things they cost alot of money to which my (regular) client snorted that it was only glitter so I told her each was £7.99 + vat...her little girl again lifted one opened it and tipped it over the floor, so i charged her mother who was livid - at me! Not the child!

I have handled naughty kiddies before, in the early days - and used to ignore them, lock my case etc, then i finally decided I would tell children off if their mum/my client did not. It usually works.

Last night, I found myself again in an awkward situation. A 7pm appt for a soak off and new set. She had tip & dip from me about 6 wks ago and 8 were still on but grown out so we decided to remove and do CND l&p. It was 8:45 and I was almost done - just doing her freehand nail art and her hubby came thru going mental that I was still there as the kids were not in bed, "hope we are not paying her by the f-ing hour!!!" etc....i politely said good nails take time and he just shook his head. 15min later i was packing up and he came through again and said to her that it was an f-ing joke and they were going to have that "same arguement" again - presumably they argued after i was last there as i recall being there at same time frame 7pm- and him being awkward then also.

How else would you handle these situations? I try to be professional but firm, but wondered if anyone could share any tips? I was really angry when I left last night thinking I was too slow - a set of enhancements takes me 75-90mins, removal on top, nail art etc - took me 2hr exactly, I personally thought that was fine!

I should also add that ontop of this her 3 yr old daughter was sat on the dining table leaning over watching me (also blocking my light) so I had to tell her just to shimmer over a few times, she just moved back again :lol:

I am slowly losing the will with clients families :-(

I suggested to my o/h finding a table to rent for 3 eves a week after new year but then thats an outlay isnt it...hmmm!

Sorry for whinging, just keen to hear an outside view...

Em xxx

I know exactly what you mean!
The other day I was doing a set of l&p on a new client. She had a 2 year old present and he wouldn't stop climbing all over her. I kept having to stop and start, wait while she picked him up, wait while she went into the kitchen numerous times. I know having children is hard work but it really slows me down, when stopping and starting etc.

Anyway I decided to dehydrate/prime one hand at a time, as she kept having to hold him with one hand. Went onto the other hand, started applying to the 1st finger and realised I hadn't primed it!! I was mortified, how could I forget to prime?? I'd never forgot before! I managed to get it sorted but that appointment took me so much longer than usual.

I have also had a few hubby's swear at their other halves about the smell and just make me feel really awkward about being there.

I'm not one to tell people when I'm not happy so I just grim and bear it, I daren't tell people off etc. for this reason I'm now looking for somewhere to rent. It takes me longer if there's too many distractions and it's starting to put me off being mobile :( xxx

I know it's more expensive renting a table but you'd be saving on petrol, and the time it takes you to drive to the clients house, set up, pack away, if you had a table based somewhere you could potentially fill that time with another 1-2 clients. So for me I don't think I'd be losing that much xx

I know exactly what you mean!
The other day I was doing a set of l&p on a new client. She had a 2 year old present and he wouldn't stop climbing all over her. I kept having to stop and start, wait while she picked him up, wait while she went into the kitchen numerous times. I know having children is hard work but it really slows me down, when stopping and starting etc.

Anyway I decided to dehydrate/prime one hand at a time, as she kept having to hold him with one hand. Went onto the other hand, started applying to the 1st finger and realised I hadn't primed it!! I was mortified, how could I forget to prime?? I'd never forgot before! I managed to get it sorted but that appointment took me so much longer than usual.

I have also had a few hubby's swear at their other halves about the smell and just make me feel really awkward about being there.

I'm not one to tell people when I'm not happy so I just grim and bear it, I daren't tell people off etc. for this reason I'm now looking for somewhere to rent. It takes me longer if there's too many distractions and it's starting to put me off being mobile :( xxx

Yeah I also get that - husbands "what the F is that !!!" "our house smells like a drug den" - I usually laugh and make a joke about not making as much money as a drug factory owner person...you get the jist!

Last night I just sort of tried to laugh and I said "rome wasnt built in a fortnight...your wife will have lovely nails but this skill takes time" and he just snorted and said he could probably do it, it isnt hard...and walked out. He was just livid - she lclearly hadnt told him I was coming again, and they obviously had a row after last time. To be fair to her, their 5 yr old son and 3 yr old daughter were still up, but if it was vital they went to bed why didnt he put them to bed? Obviously this is none of my business at all, but he was very annoyed at the fact I was there meaning his children were not in bed as his wife was busy with me - so I just kept thinking.

My other half would NEVER make someone feel so uncomfortable in our home, even if I had someone there doing my hair or whatever, he would never be nasty - if there was an issue he would wait until that person left and take the issue up with me. There is nothing I dislike more than couples arguing infront of me, I find it really unprofessional and quite rude. Especially when it is because of me being there!

The other week when the client had to go to get money from the ATM the husband did not make any conversation whilst I sat there so eventually I left and waited in my car until she returned with my payment. It was really awful. She is a regular also!

I know it's more expensive renting a table but you'd be saving on petrol, and the time it takes you to drive to the clients house, set up, pack away, if you had a table based somewhere you could potentially fill that time with another 1-2 clients. So for me I don't think I'd be losing that much xx

This is really true - I said that to my OH. I also said for one appt I schedule out 2.5hours as i usually turn up and they have product on nails; polish on, or want nail art etc, plus driving there, setting up, packing up and drviing back - it may only take me 90mins to do their nails but the remainder of the time is also used. Being in a salon would cut out that time and the 45mins could be used to do a shellac!

What about putting something on your website/business info sheet/confirmation email like

I am delighted that you have invited me into your home to perform your treatment and I will respect your home as if it were my own. Please ask me to remove my shoes if this is what you would like. I am a non-smoker and like to arrive for each of my clients smelling clean and fresh. (Hopefully they will read into this that they won't smoke while you are treating them!) All I require is a workspace of a x b dimensions and x plugs, for my lamp(s) and overhead working light to ensure a flawless finish. Working in your home is a privilege, I will try and be as efficient as I can; of course keeping distractions (such as children and pets) to a minimum will help you relax and enjoy the treatment.

In reciprocation, I ask that you respect the tools of my business and ask your children not to touch them. The kit contains sharp implements and hazardous chemicals and as well as not wanting your children to injure themselves, I will have to charge you for any damage.

Service times vary on the work required but you should allow for x mins for this
x mins for that
la la la

I am delighted that you are one of my clients and thank you for allowing me into your home. I accept payment by cash or cheque. Please ensure you have the means to pay before I begin work. I assimilate it to having money to pay for your petrol before you fill up the car having been embarrassed at the petrol station on one occasion!

What about putting something on your website/business info sheet/confirmation email like

I am delighted that you have invited me into your home to perform your treatment and I will respect your home as if it were my own. Please ask me to remove my shoes if this is what you would like. I am a non-smoker and like to arrive for each of my clients smelling clean and fresh. (Hopefully they will read into this that they won't smoke while you are treating them!) All I require is a workspace of a x b dimensions and x plugs, for my lamp(s) and overhead working light to ensure a flawless finish. Working in your home is a privilege, I will try and be as efficient as I can; of course keeping distractions (such as children and pets) to a minimum will help you relax and enjoy the treatment.

In reciprocation, I ask that you respect the tools of my business and ask your children not to touch them. The kit contains sharp implements and hazardous chemicals and as well as not wanting your children to injure themselves, I will have to charge you for any damage.

Service times vary on the work required but you should allow for x mins for this
x mins for that
la la la

I am delighted that you are one of my clients and thank you for allowing me into your home. I accept payment by cash or cheque. Please ensure you have the means to pay before I begin work. I assimilate it to having money to pay for your petrol before you fill up the car having been embarrassed at the petrol station on one occasion!

I love this! :) hits the nail right on the head :)

I was going to suggest something like this if it's becoming a regular thing.

I am just shocked and disgusted that people speak to each other in that manner, and in front of a guest in their home. I have only done the nails one one client where a husband and children were present and the child was very well behaved. The husband was polite and welcoming and even offered to help me with my kit when I left.

Maybe renting a desk would be the better option for you as this is wasting yout time, products and you also shouldn't have to put up with such behaviour x

The next time you take a booking from them ask them if they would like an appointment while the child/children are at school, after the child/children are in bed or when someone else will be there to look after them for her.

I tell my clients that I have many dangerous chemicals in my kit and my insurance does not cover children being in/around my work area and touching my things is a huge no-no. If mam does not give the child a row for atempting to touch, my normal mommy attitude kicks in and I 'nuh uh' and 'tut tut' at the children and if needed I'll tell them in a sharp voice not to touch anything. At the end of the day if I allow them to touch and they get hurt I'll be the one blamed and I'll be the one they try to sue, so I see it as my job to keep them away - even if that comes accorss as a bit harsh at the time.

If you arrive and they have choosen to book you without someone there to watch the child/children or before they are in bed, inform them you have a client at 8.30pm (or whatever time) and that you will have to leave after 1 1/2 hours even if the treatment is not complete as you need to get to the next client (even if there is never a next client).

Or you could tell her when booking the appointment should take 1 1/2 hours but has on the last 2 occasions taken 2 hours and made you run late for the next client, so the charge will be £x.x as your adding an extra half hour to her appointment booking to cover the distractions/interuptions.

I have told some of my clients it is unadvisable to book me while their children are awake and running around if there is no-one else there to watch them, I'd rather loose the booking than put myself through the stress of trying to work while a child attempts to pull at my things (I had one child try to pull the wax heater off the worktop :eek: as I was setting up the bed) there are other clients that have very well behaved children but I'd still prefer to work when they are not around.

I was going to suggest something like this if it's becoming a regular thing.

I am just shocked and disgusted that people speak to each other in that manner, and in front of a guest in their home. I have only done the nails one one client where a husband and children were present and the child was very well behaved. The husband was polite and welcoming and even offered to help me with my kit when I left.

Maybe renting a desk would be the better option for you as this is wasting yout time, products and you also shouldn't have to put up with such behaviour x

I was the same, disgusted that couples speak to each other like that let alone infront of me; my other half was the same - yes we argue but he would never speak to me like that infront of someone and vice versa!

How awful for you. With regard to the shouting partners I think if it was me I would not do their nails again under any circumstances. As for the children then the little notice is nice.

I cant believe people can be like this, it is so rude.

xx

The next time you take a booking from them ask them if they would like an appointment while the child/children are at school, after the child/children are in bed or when someone else will be there to look after them for her.

I tell my clients that I have many dangerous chemicals in my kit and my insurance does not cover children being in/around my work area and touching my things is a huge no-no. If mam does not give the child a row for atempting to touch, my normal mommy attitude kicks in and I 'nuh uh' and 'tut tut' at the children and if needed I'll tell them in a sharp voice not to touch anything. At the end of the day if I allow them to touch and they get hurt I'll be the one blamed and I'll be the one they try to sue, so I see it as my job to keep them away - even if that comes accorss as a bit harsh at the time.

If you arrive and they have choosen to book you without someone there to watch the child/children or before they are in bed, inform them you have a client at 8.30pm (or whatever time) and that you will have to leave after 1 1/2 hours even if the treatment is not complete as you need to get to the next client (even if there is never a next client).

Or you could tell her when booking the appointment should take 1 1/2 hours but has on the last 2 occasions taken 2 hours and made you run late for the next client, so the charge will be £x.x as your adding an extra half hour to her appointment booking to cover the distractions/interuptions.

I have told some of my clients it is unadvisable to book me while their children are awake and running around if there is no-one else there to watch them, I'd rather loose the booking than put myself through the stress of trying to work while a child attempts to pull at my things (I had one child try to pull the wax heater off the worktop :eek: as I was setting up the bed) there are other clients that have very well behaved children but I'd still prefer to work when they are not around.

I agree, I actually lost a client once - a lash client, who insisted on bringing her child with her to appts after I asked her to come to me as I was unable to come to her home anymore as her 3 children ran a mock. I worded it in the way that I was unable to visit where children were present due to the glue being out etc I could not risk it for insurance purposes - her kids used to knock over my lashes etc, she did come to me and brought her daughter with her, who sat on the floor, then kicked my unit over, then knocked my candles off the shelf and her mum kept opening her eyes, it took me 2 hours to do a top up of lashes that normally would have taken me 1hour or less. I advised her that I couldnt have children in my beauty room (spare room) as my home salon mobile insurance didnt cover me....she cancelled all her appts and didnt come back. At first I was a little :( but actually.....think of the time she took up, the stress she caused, the damage her children caused (and damage/ loss of my product i.e. loose lashes!) so I wasnt sad for long.

The only issue is I work eves and 1 day a week and the day I work she usually cant do as her little one is only in nursery for 2hrs, and by the time she drops her, comes back and has to leave to go and get her isnt enough time. Her husband was there, although I do not like to comment on personal circumstances - if it was ME, I couldnt see why my partner wouldnt keep the children out of the way and put them to bed whilst I was occupied. I dont want to turn her away...thats her second booking, she could be a regular :lol: but at the same time....I dont really want to be "belittled" by her husband, thats how I felt - angry about "paying me by the hour" and the fact I was there...I didnt feel welcome at all. Makes me worry about going back.

Thanks for your advice Baggybear. :hug:

I know its not about children touching your things but similar. Last week I also did l&p and a leg wax on a client. I packed all my things up and she asked if I wanted help taking my things to the car. I said I appreciated it but I was ok and I'd be straight back in for the last of my things. Walked in the kitchen and the client is stood with my waxer in her hands on its side!!! ( its the duo one with 2 wax pots and a lid, so ones for wax, the other for paraffin wax) anyway hot wax was glooping out of the sides everywhere :( :( I got it up off the floor with flannels and baby oil.

I know she was just trying to help but after 3 days of cleaning it, my waxer is now broken as all the wax has got inside. I just find a lot of inconvenient things like this can happen mobile xxx

I know its not about children touching your things but similar. Last week I also did l&p and a leg wax on a client. I packed all my things up and she asked if I wanted help taking my things to the car. I said I appreciated it but I was ok and I'd be straight back in for the last of my things. Walked in the kitchen and the client is stood with my waxer in her hands on its side!!! ( its the duo one with 2 wax pots and a lid, so ones for wax, the other for paraffin wax) anyway hot wax was glooping out of the sides everywhere :( :( I got it up off the floor with flannels and baby oil.

I know she was just trying to help but after 3 days of cleaning it, my waxer is now broken as all the wax has got inside. I just find a lot of inconvenient things like this can happen mobile xxx

Oh no, thats so sad :( How annoying. Did she apologise? Why on earth did she put it on it's side? Ah :(

I have had similar before, I have got up to get things out my case and my client is sat poking fingers in my tub of L+P Powder.... WHY?!! I also had a clients take my solar oil and put it on her toes (I had just did her fingers) while I am packing up, I turned and seen her and said Oh I have pinkies, can I offer you one? She said Oh yeah! I gave her it and said thats £2.50 and she said oh no, I am not paying for it i'll just use yours when you are here. I stood and told her how she should be using it daily and that I just use mine at the end of the treatment I have just did (hintinmg at she cant just lather her toes in it while I am packing up). She still wouldnt pay for it, so I took it back. *She wouldnt have had her feet out if i was in a salon !!

Probably very tight of me but I used to offer them as freebies and then pay for the top up, and people would hide the one I gave them last time and take a new one - i started having to note down who had one already - they'd deny it. Yes, really!

In my short time as a mobile nail tech I have also come across this -- going to particular client who just expects you to sit there whilst family mill around have drinks and its nearly 45 mins before you get started.

Have decided as business builds I may be less reliant on her business and not worry too much about her rebooking! hopefully she will fizzle out....

I understand about working from a salon being easier however I have to work around children so with the cost of childcare its not a feasable option for me.

I just need diplomacy and thick skin I think!!!

Edited to add that they expected to use MY nail varnish so the kids could play and do their own nails!

Last edited:
Some very good points and advice here. I am terrified of dealing with clients unruley children and rude family members. Im quite a shy person and dont like confrontation in any form so some ideas here will help loads! I especially like the one by unas escarlata.

I plan to be mobile for as little time as possible, then as soon we move house, Im setting up my own salon. I cant wait! And my husband is very positive about it too.
But I guess for now, I'll be shutting and locking my case as much as possible and will have to be stern! (I have 3 young boys so can def. do it! lol)
x

Very interesting read ladies, im mobile too i have a little boy myself so i have to work round him also. Its very difficult sometimes especially when u do family or close friends. I havent had any customers like this yet so got away lightly so far.

My hairdresser comes too me and offers me certain times when i no it'll just be me and my little one. I always make her aware, his generally very good, times when shes been round his either been asleep, eating his lunch in his high chair and watching tv keeps him entertained for ages!

I would never dream of letting him touch her stuff or interfere with us. Most times its been around 4pm ish when my other half comes home and he takes over cause he knows its me time and would also never dream of talking to her like s**t. He actually offers her tea and chats to her also.

Anyway what i want to say is i cant believe some people can be like this!
You would never have these people behaving like this in a salon would u.

It's a hard one this because a lot of people have children as I have only just started mobile I'm yet to come across this :eek: but I have a 6 year old so I'm used to laying down the ground rules :lol: and I will do this if such a situation arises at a clients house.

I would also be Inc.ined that if a couple is having a domestic I will also say that I won't be standing for it I shal leave and come back when they have sorted it :lol: especially if I'm being targeted :lol:

Hopefully nex year I will have a home salon in my garden and I shal have a box of Lego and colouring in it if a mum has to bring her child and in the summer will have outside toys for them to play with I'm going in readily prepared for such incidences lol xx

It's a hard one this because a lot of people have children as I have only just started mobile I'm yet to come across this :eek: but I have a 6 year old so I'm used to laying down the ground rules :lol: and I will do this if such a situation arises at a clients house.

I would also be Inc.ined that if a couple is having a domestic I will also say that I won't be standing for it I shal leave and come back when they have sorted it :lol: especially if I'm being targeted :lol:

Hopefully nex year I will have a home salon in my garden and I shal have a box of Lego and colouring in it if a mum has to bring her child and in the summer will have outside toys for them to play with I'm going in readily prepared for such incidences lol xx

I used to carry a colouring book an pencils until a child tore it up and hid my pencils :-O

I hav to admit some peoples kids are excellent. I love children so please dont think I am tarring all children with the same brush; but some are not well behaved at all and their parents let them run a mock. I am firm with clients kids, i wasnt before the glitter incident, now i am stern and I lock my case....but some do still try - they touch the product on table etc so you do have to lay down the law at times. Some parents are receptive and some really dont like you telling off their children.

Its the rude partners i cant bear most. It makes you feel inadequate. I left feeling deflated like i had taken too long and i know i hadnt. Its that that annoys me most.

X

Sher16...what does that bloke know about nails? Yes nothing, so don't beat yourself up sweetie :cool:

I must say I sat here reading all your stories thinking 'oh, I didn't experience anything like this in my 5 years of being mobile', but of course, now that I think about it, to a lesser degree I did. I just find it hard to recall these clients as I just didn't go back to their houses!

Latest posts

Back