How do you handle client family members, whilst mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The table is an outlay but you will fit more appointments in without the travel, pack and unpack and distractions. Maybe it would be well worth it??

Kids I can excuse, they are kids but aren't SOME men pigs! Archg. It's worse because those are the types who would be out exploring their options if their ladies "let themselves go". End rant.

funny you should do a thread on this, i've got a client tomorrow and everytime i go her kids are running riot, one climbs all over my client using my couch as some kind of climbing frame, the other tried to dip a phone in my wax pot!!! arrgghhh i cant stand children. i've only ever had one clients husband be rude to me because i aparently took too long, so i said 'i'll book your appointment earlier next time so i'm not in your husbands way in future :)'. i wrote a thread earlier in the year because i had a new client for a manicure and arm wax, when i got there she had a 18month old child there and she was constantly picking him up, he crushed crisps into my towels, she kept moving her arms in her arm wax and i dripped wax on her trousers, when i was doing her manicure she kept picking him up and smudging her nails, when i left i cried all the way home because i'd 1. got wax on her trousers, yes i'd got it out but i've never done that before and 2. her nails were smudged and horrible but i re-did them 3 times and i had another client to get to!

i also had a child kick a football across the room and it hit my nail art tray which flew everywhere, the child had been a pain from the start. from then on i always say 'don't touch that because if you brake it i'll be adding it on to your mummys bill' that normally gets them away from my stuff! x

Certain kids are a nightmare! I generally get a long with them, but some are wild! I remember once having a dinner with a family, they had 3 kids.(I know its not to do with our trade, but I just remembered this and had to share as my blood still boils when I think of it). So, we were sitting down, having food and suddenly I noticed, that a cable was moving in the wall. Jumped up to check what was that and found that one of the kids was sitting in living room trying to pull the sky cable from the wall! Luckily I went into the living room, as at the same time as this one was "fixing" my cables the other two had decided to rearrange my Christmas tree. It was falling down at the time when I looked and you should have seen how fast I got to it to catch it fall. My all jewellery boxes were opened up, they "rearranged" while their parents were just chatting away.

I could not believe the mess they left me with once they left. The worst thing, the parents did not care!!! I have not invited them over since. And I am actually a nice person (or so I think), but I could not bring myself to ask them over after that. And they had one more child since.:(

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Certain kids are a nightmare! I generally get a long with them, but some are wild! I remember once having a dinner with a family, they had 3 kids.(I know its not to do with our trade, but I just remembered this and had to share as my blood still boils when I think of it). So, we were sitting down, having food and suddenly I noticed, that a cable was moving in the wall. Jumped up to check what was that and found that one of the kids was sitting in living room trying to pull the sky cable from the wall! Luckily I went into the living room, as at the same time as this one was "fixing" my cables the other two had decided to rearrange my Christmas tree. It was falling down at the time when I looked and you should have seen how fast I got to it to catch it fall. My all jewellery boxes were opened up, they "rearranged" while their parents were just chatting away.

I could not believe the mess they left me with once they left. The worst thing, the parents did not care!!! I have not invited them over since. And I am actually a nice person (or so I think), but I could not bring myself to ask them over after that. And they had one more child since.:(

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

wow!! :eek:

I have 3 young boys, age 3, 5 and 7 and none of them would EVER behave in any sort of unruley manner in anyones house (or outside my own house for that fact!!) Their life would not be worth living! lol
On occasion I've had to take all 3 to the hairdresser with me and they've all sat really well for an hour while I had my hair done. The hairdresser loves them coming along just becasue they are so good and she knows I wont put up with anything from them.

But then we have friends that have just 1 or 2 children and they are SO rude, climbing on everything, not taking their shoes off, standing on toys, throwing toys, emptying cupboards, getting toys out then getting more toys out before putting others away. It takes so long to tidy up after that we dont invite them here anymore we always say " We'll come to you, we like to get out of the house as much as we can, its a bit crowded with 5 of us here" :lol:

Think up until now ive been a naieve (spelling?) thinking that by going to peoples houses, the kids wont be my problem unlike if they came to My salon. Think im in for a bit a shock! lol But reading how everyone is dealing with these is giving me some useful tips!

the cheek of some people.

i haven't been mobile for that long and almost all my clients are lovely and arrange appointments around work, bedtimes etc...

last month i did a booking where i had 2 ladies for shellac mani's and pedi's. when i get there the husbands were having a barbicue and there were about 8 children running round. both ladies had new borns and insisted on breast feeing whilst getting treatments. everytime i turned round the children were riffling through my kit (i'm sure some polishes went missing). the 4 treatments ended up taking me almost 4 hours! by this time the husbands were drunk and moaning about having to 'watch' the kids. then when i was about to finish one woman packed all my stuff and put in on the doorstep! :mad: i couldn't believe it. needless to say i won't be going back there!

i think to some people being mobile means you'll put up with anything. i just think some need to enrol in charm school

The flip side is that now the kids are off I have clients coming to me & my kids are here! I try to schedule appointments when they are at the childminders but as it's Xmas time I have more people than usual wNting their nails done!! I work in mu kitchen & have a stair gate locked to keep them away & give the clients the choice of coming or not & tell them my kids will be here.
I've only had one nightmare child who touched, hes at school now so it doesn't happen anymore!!!

I couldn't imagine sitting in someones home trying to provide a service with the client and her husband arguing, must be very very uncomfortable, I would hate it!

I too get problems. I turned up to lash someone last week who continued to breast feed for 30 mins while i sat there! But i have to be honest i didn't have another appointment until the evening so didn't mind too much.

I agree you could have some info regarding children and pets on your website and what you expect but u cannot ask someone not to smoke in their own home. Granted while your working that is a reasonable request mind you. I don't think u should have to listen to swearing, my oh would never be so rude. That's totally out of order. You deserve respect!

Xxx

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

What about putting something on your website/business info sheet/confirmation email like

I am delighted that you have invited me into your home to perform your treatment and I will respect your home as if it were my own. Please ask me to remove my shoes if this is what you would like. I am a non-smoker and like to arrive for each of my clients smelling clean and fresh. (Hopefully they will read into this that they won't smoke while you are treating them!) All I require is a workspace of a x b dimensions and x plugs, for my lamp(s) and overhead working light to ensure a flawless finish. Working in your home is a privilege, I will try and be as efficient as I can; of course keeping distractions (such as children and pets) to a minimum will help you relax and enjoy the treatment.

In reciprocation, I ask that you respect the tools of my business and ask your children not to touch them. The kit contains sharp implements and hazardous chemicals and as well as not wanting your children to injure themselves, I will have to charge you for any damage.

Service times vary on the work required but you should allow for x mins for this
x mins for that
la la la

I am delighted that you are one of my clients and thank you for allowing me into your home. I accept payment by cash or cheque. Please ensure you have the means to pay before I begin work. I assimilate it to having money to pay for your petrol before you fill up the car having been embarrassed at the petrol station on one occasion!

This is brilliant! I might use this my self.xx

I had a client the weekend for Gelish. She has two dogs. As she opened the door to me the very lively dogs escaped. It was pouring down. She went after one dog I had to go after the other, I couldn't see it get run over. After 15mins of chasing dogs around I finally gotten hold of one by the collar and walked it back to the house. It hopped one one foot while scratching my hand with the other and covered me with mud. My client was another 5mins before she came back with the other one. They were very exited and jumped every where. I set up and all the while the dogs were jumping and barking through the whole treatment they had there noses in my bags taking things from the table. They are both 6 month old beagle puppies and my client was treating them like babies. Then she let the cat in the dogs wanted to eat the cat and the cat with dirty paws jumped onto my table. My client picked up cat with 2nd layer of uncured Gelish on and had cat hairs stuck to her nails. My client didn't seem to care or have any idea that her animals were causing me a problems. I hinted that she should watch Cesar Milan The Dog Whisperer to train her dogs. I then went on to do her feet while sat on the floor one dog started sniffing my neck my client kept saying "Oh don't worry he will settle down next to you in a minit" I think he had other ideas lol. I finished her toes as quickly as I could and jumped up so fast. I told her that next time the dogs have to be taken care off next time they must not be in the same room as when I am doing her nails. She said but I like animals they are important to me. I said yes and my equipment is important to me, in a nice way I told her that her next appointment is a morning one I will be at her house as soon as I have dropped the baby off to nursery and if I am kept late because of her dogs I will be late picking the baby up late from nursery and that is unacceptable. I went home and scrubbed all my stuff washed my towels and my muddy uniform and made sure everything was sanitized. It was a good job I didn't have another client afterwards.xx

I find that alot of my clients have young children but then I suppose that's why they find a mobile therapist as its easier with children and it suits them.
I've had a few annoying situations but nothing as extreme as a husband swearing, if I'm doing acrylics I say from the start your husband will probably moan from the start as men can't stand the smell and when the husbands complain the wife will laugh knowing I said that before it even happened

Well as a follow up, my client booked me last week for rebalance - i explained to her i thought it was best for us both if i went whilst her husband was out, or she came to me. She agreed - and he was working late today so along I go....

He got finished early.

SIGH !!!!

Maybe it would be best if you have her come to you from now on so that your not in the awkward situation.

Ive had the same problems with children too. After one visit I KNOW I am missing one of my metal cuticle pusher tools. Annoying so I will be locking up my box whilst I work.

Bugs me when clients think its ok for you to work on one hand whilst they use the other for scoffing chip shop chips ! Im sitting there thinking my gels never going to stay on that hand that you had grease all over. I know I scrubfresh well but there are only some miracles I can work....

Another problem is clients & there pets. Ive had one dog make off with a bottle of varnish, who promptly piddled all over the floor with a urinary tract infection. Not the most hygienic of situations. Another was a rather excited puppy, kangaroo style jumping on my back, crossing over his front legs over my shoulders & giving me a lovable sloppy kiss right in the face. I kid you not. Sort of funny but sooo hard when your trying to do the perfect set ....

Ive been offered a space within a Salon. I just dont know whether to take it up or not. ( I'm so not fast doing sculptures & Bio Gel just isnt good with tips)... Besides all the COSH health & safety things all went over my head & I thought Arrrrghhhhh.... So Im just mulling over what I should do ... :0

Maybe suggest taking a dog cage along with you which the children could be put in if they didn't behave (& the husbands):lol:

Maybe it would be best if you have her come to you from now on so that your not in the awkward situation.

Looks like it! I gave her the two options of mine or whilst he was out so not to annoy him, she chose the latter. Next time there will only be one option :)

Ha ha ha ha!

It is annoying isnt it? I feel incredibly unprofessional moaning but really.

This time it was an argument about where she got the money to pay "her!!!" whilst i am sat there. I did manage to make a few jokes to lighten the situation - re her making herself nice for him, new years resolution for nice nails...blah blah he walked out and said "tell me when she is gone".

I had a client the weekend for Gelish. She has two dogs. As she opened the door to me the very lively dogs escaped. It was pouring down. She went after one dog I had to go after the other, I couldn't see it get run over. After 15mins of chasing dogs around I finally gotten hold of one by the collar and walked it back to the house. It hopped one one foot while scratching my hand with the other and covered me with mud. My client was another 5mins before she came back with the other one. They were very exited and jumped every where. I set up and all the while the dogs were jumping and barking through the whole treatment they had there noses in my bags taking things from the table. They are both 6 month old beagle puppies and my client was treating them like babies. Then she let the cat in the dogs wanted to eat the cat and the cat with dirty paws jumped onto my table. My client picked up cat with 2nd layer of uncured Gelish on and had cat hairs stuck to her nails. My client didn't seem to care or have any idea that her animals were causing me a problems. I hinted that she should watch Cesar Milan The Dog Whisperer to train her dogs. I then went on to do her feet while sat on the floor one dog started sniffing my neck my client kept saying "Oh don't worry he will settle down next to you in a minit" I think he had other ideas lol. I finished her toes as quickly as I could and jumped up so fast. I told her that next time the dogs have to be taken care off next time they must not be in the same room as when I am doing her nails. She said but I like animals they are important to me. I said yes and my equipment is important to me, in a nice way I told her that her next appointment is a morning one I will be at her house as soon as I have dropped the baby off to nursery and if I am kept late because of her dogs I will be late picking the baby up late from nursery and that is unacceptable. I went home and scrubbed all my stuff washed my towels and my muddy uniform and made sure everything was sanitized. It was a good job I didn't have another client afterwards.xx

I no I shouldn't laugh but some people are just unbelievable. I have got a very naughty cat but I no for a fact that if someone was coming to my house to have a treatment, I would ask them if they liked cats and if they didn't. He would be locked out. I certainly wouldn't be picking him up or paying the naughty little rat any attention. it's just respect and common sense.
Good on u for putting Ur foot down x

Latest posts

Back