How do you keep up with the industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailnewbie32

Reaction score
Sorry this is probably going to come across as a totally stupid question feel free to laugh at me :)

*unasked for bit of background*
I know no one on here knows me but up until last year I was never a girlie girl, I fell in to my beauty course by pure luck and surprised myself and everyone around me how much I enjoyed it. I also surprised myself how well I did at 33 and going back to school (distinctions!!!)but I have always loved my nails, total polish junkie! Now I have a huge passion for nails and just wanting to know everything!
*end of unasked for background*

So girls (and boys) where do you get your up to date info, company knowledge, latest trends etc etc

I don't even think I'm asking properly but hopefully someone will understand.

Thanks

Jen

Sorry this is probably going to come across as a totally stupid question feel free to laugh at me :)

*unasked for bit of background*
I know no one on here knows me but up until last year I was never a girlie girl, I fell in to my beauty course by pure luck and surprised myself and everyone around me how much I enjoyed it. I also surprised myself how well I did at 33 and going back to school (distinctions!!!)but I have always loved my nails, total polish junkie! Now I have a huge passion for nails and just wanting to know everything!
*end of unasked for background*

So girls (and boys) where do you get your up to date info, company knowledge, latest trends etc etc

I don't even think I'm asking properly but hopefully someone will understand.

Thanks

Jen

Well, there are two ways to always keep ahead and to keep up ...
For one I choose to use products innovated and manufactured by the global leader in nails for the past. 30 years ... CND. :biggrin:

For two ... Become an active member of thesalongeek community. :Love:

Those two things will always keep you current.

Hiya :biggrin: There is lots of knowledge right here on this site. Just type in what you want to know in the search engine and pages of information will come up for you. Also ther is a great monthly nails magazine called Scratch which you can subsgribe too. There are lots of nails companies, such as CND, NSI, Easy flow to name but a few. I trained with CND because I personally think they are the best and are brilliant for education and products. Hth good luck:biggrin:

Thanks girlies :)

Oh this site has been an unbelievable resource, any problem I have come across I have found a solution on a past thread. ( I may even subscribe to help give a bit back to the community :) )

I'm only starting out so products (professional) are a whole new world to me. I have felt a little overwhelmed but I am determined to build myself a little business and be the person people come back to because I know my stuff :)

I use salon geek and scratch mag to keep up with the trends. Keep your eye on magazines like company, cosmo and look etc to see what the beauty pages are doing and fashion etc. I love scratch, google it and subscribe its great!! x

I use salon geek and scratch mag to keep up with the trends. Keep your eye on magazines like company, cosmo and look etc to see what the beauty pages are doing and fashion etc. I love scratch, google it and subscribe its great!! x

Thank you. I think I will do that xx

the site is perfect! scratch mag is good and its really good to go to the shows. olympia beauty is on in sept- well worth a visit

I must look in to trade shows in Dublin.

Just out of interest what nail training have you done. I don't see any information re your education or experience on your profile .. Only here in your post, but profile information is very important to us in qualifying you and in helping us with the answers we give in posts. If you could fill it out more completely it would be appreciated.

Just out of interest what nail training have you done. I don't see any information re your education or experience on your profile .. Only here in your post, but profile information is very important to us in qualifying you and in helping us with the answers we give in posts. If you could fill it out more completely it would be appreciated.

So sorry, I trained with Star Nails as an add on to my Beauty Therapy course. I thought I put that in my profile but I will have a look now.

This website has been invaluable in teaching me the latest and greatest in nails. I really don't know where I would be without it. Also, nail magazines (or ANY fashion magazine) are a great resource, as well.

I am a CND gal, so I take every CND class offered in my area. Amazing how things have changed since I first went to school.

HTH! :)

I just had a look and I had added Star Nails and Sun FX as products of choice. Is there a bit I am missing to add in education/qualifications etc or would I just put that in the 'About me' part?

So sorry if I'm being dumb.

Oh and I am quite happy to forward on any certs I have too! I know it's not a requirement but they are available if requested :)

I'm just new to the industry and probably ask stupid questions. Sorry.

no question is stupid. we all have to start somewhere, and we never stop learning.
I have only just joined this site, but no im already addicted to it. some fab posts, fab constuctive criticism. so pleased i found it!

All the above is true....but having this information, advice, inspiration, tutorials and amazingly addictive step by steps can only come from Young Nails
Whats more it is FREEEEEeeeee!

Young Nails - Throughout England and the UK

Young Nails video tutorials are available to everyone F.O.C, regardless of which system you choose.
(But hey....no-one can beat our glitter range) LOL

Njoy

Lisa x

READ! Every magazine you can get your hands on about the industry. Every post you can find on here. Search google for info on something that sparks your interest and read everything you can about what ever it is. Ask! Ask other techs in your area for advice and ass if they will let you come in for a day and sit in and watch. :)

I learn about new nail stuff on here

Go to the trade shows for new beauty ideas

I go to loads of hair industry events and launches to keep up with new stuff in the hair world.(hair is not so heavily represented on here) Plus hair events are often very lavish (L'oreal have big budgets :))

Thanks fo all the replies :) *I kinda forgot to check for new replies oooops :) )

Latest posts

Back