How do you know what style suits you??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leah82

Reaction score
The differences between systems

As we teach a Nail Technician course not a product course your diploma covers you for any manufacturer's system, there are no restrictions.

Once you have mastered the technique of applying UV nail extensions correctly, and have had a little practice, you might want to consider adding other systems to your repertoire.

This is not too difficult as you have already learnt the main techniques such as applying an acrylic liquid and powder mix, shaping, filing and sealing nail extensions.

Silk and Fibreglass Wraps

These are not the most popular of systems, although there has been some revival of late. Pieces of material are layered upon the fingernail using resin. The resin sets quickly when it is sprayed with an activator.

The wraps are natural looking although the process can be quite time consuming depending on the system used.

Gel Nails

Gel nails are perfect for people who only want an overlay on their natural nails and not an extension. Gel is very easy to apply, looks natural and gives strength to weak nails. You will be told how to apply it on our course.

The problem with gel is, it doesn't soak off in acetone. For this reason we do not recommend it for extensions. It is fine for overlays as they don't break very often.

A broken gel extension has to be filed off carefully by hand. A broken acrylic extension can be soaked off in acetone while you are working on someone else, or by the client before you see them, freeing up your time.

Sculptured Acrylic

This was the first acrylic nail to come out over 25 years ago. Although many improvements have been made the basic concept is still the same. The acrylic sets in the air, giving you a limited time to apply it. In practice this makes it probably the hardest system to learn.

We recommend you get your time down to under an hour on the UV acrylics before you try sculptured nails. This will provide you with the skill and speed necessary to apply the liquid and powder before it sets. It can be very frustrating and require a lot of hard work if you don't do this.

Most nail technicians use an electric drill to file sculptured nails. If the nail is over-drilled it gets too hot and damage occurs to the nail bed, matrix or both. This can be permanent.

The more skilled you are at applying the acrylic, the less filing you need to do. This makes it quicker for you and more comfortable for the client.

UV Cured Acrylic

This is the system taught on the course. It has the flexibility and natural look of the gel nail, but it is an acrylic and will soak off in acetone.

Because this acrylic doesn't set until it is placed under a UV lamp it is self levelling and pretty much a perfect shape once it is cured. This means a light filing with a hand file is all that is needed and there is no need for an expensive electric drill (£300+).

The other benefits of UV acrylic over sculptured are, it doesn't discolour when it is subjected to sunlight, it doesn't crystallise when it gets cold and it doesn't have any odour. All this is good news for you and your clients.

UV acrylic is more expensive than sculptured, but it still costs less than £1 a set to apply and once you are up to speed you should easily be able to apply a set of these in under an hour.

HI guys can you help me with summat? I was looking at doing this course but where i go they say they've never heard of them the website is : http://www.e-nails.org/index.html. Where i go having my nails done i showed them the info and they said never heard of them so the boss said can't be any good esp not as good as NSI where they trained. Will you tell me what you think pleaseeeeeeees!!!!! But i have also been sent info from one of you on a course you run but again i'm worried as if employers have not heard of you am i gonna have the same problem, surely they can be just as good, but not as expense as big companies??
The other problem i have is that theres many different ways to do nails as shown above. But how do you know which one you should do and whats the real difference?? I know i like sculpted as i've said before but most places don't use that method, I know you say it depends on what suits you but i have too know so that i can apply as the courses are separate depending on method/product!!
The details below are from the course one of you have shown me but again there are 2 types L&P and uv gel plus something called a conversion course?? None of the lower price courses include products/equipment needed so i suppose i'll still have too pay about the same as an NSI course to get all the things i need?? (£658).
Its no wonder i'm not sure where too begin and i'm so worried i'll choose the wrong thing!!! And my husband hasn't got a clue, he just keeps saying as you lol!!

Look forward to hearing from you all Leah82:)

4 Day Course L&P

1st Day Intro to natural nails & Manicure - Sept 5th

2nd Day Tip application & intro to Chosen system - Sept 6th

3rd Day Continuation of Chosen system - Sept 7th

4th Day Troubleshooting & Maintenance - Sept 18th

Total cost is £340inc vat
Special Offer get 25% off

only £255.00 inc vat

4 Day Course UV Gel

1st Day Intro to natural nails & Manicure - Sept 5th

2nd Day Tip application & intro to Chosen system - Sept 8th

3rd Day Continuation of Chosen system - Sept 9th

4th Day Troubleshooting & Maintenance - Sept 18th

Total cost is £340inc vat

only £255.00 inc vat

1 Day Conversion Course
1 Day conversion courses in Cesars Secrets UV Gel or L&P Acrylic

Total cost is £85inc vat

only £63.75 inc vat

Blimey that's a post and a half! Okay Leah here goes my answer. Choosing the right training provider is probably one of the keys to success for your whole future in nails - you could have the best product in the world but if you had crap training then you'll produce crap nails.

It is a very difficult decision to make and one that has to be yours in the end. The next very important factor is customer service, wil you feel comfortablae i those early days to keep pestering them with all your Q's and feel that they really care.

Finally you need to make sure that your course and/ or qualifications is recognised bu your insurer, so you will be better to go with one of the big guys.

With regards to the uv acrylic I can't comment. But what I can say is that I use gel 99% of the time and I use it for tip and overlay, sculptured and overlay and what they are saying about gel is CRAP. They are trying to scaremonger and confuse you into using their product by slating the others.

If you have had a good experience with NSI products then go for them, at least you have tried them first hand.

From personal experience I have just switched to Creative's Brisa and I AM SO LOVING IT! Easy to use, my clients who normally trash their nails are coming back with a perfect ten. Can't rate it enough.

Good luck in your choice, it's a tough one! And remember the courses that seem too cheap to be true are cheap for a reason. You are better to shell out a bit more and get the right course first time than keep switching about and costing you more in the long run.

Yeh i know lol i didn't know how i could shorten what i wanted to say so thought it best to just say it all lol!!!!!
I'll probably just save up the £658 and go with NSI as like you say at least i'll be ok then!!!! Just gonna take a while!!
And at least i'll get a lot of the things i'll need in that in course for when i've passed it so i suppose it does seem that bad really. Hopefully when i come back from hols i'll be able to save up, then there xmas god theres always summat lol!!! You don't know this weeks lottery numbers do you!!!
Are creative and NSI very similar?? My nail tech said she did training with both do they do different things or is it just a product manufacture thing?? But there basically the same techniques and results??

Thanks Sassy#1:)

Haven't got a clue about NSI, you'll have to see what another NSI tech can tell you. With regard to Creative I was very lucky and had a one to one with Geeg so of course for me they are the best :D !!!!!!!!!! BUT they have won awards for their training that no other nail company has even come close to. (blimey only been using Brisa a month and I sound like a died in the wool Creative Geek!) I know you will never go wrong with Creative!

NSI are not a bad start to nail training, their products are good and their nail art stuff is fantastic, i have only hear good things about their training as well. Creative and EZ Flow are the market leaders in nail products so they seem to ahve the most amount of technicians but all of us started somewhere and not all of us were able to access this site before making costly mistakes. I did my orginal training with star naisl and was extremely lucky to ahve a good group of girls who i trainedwith and who trained me. Other parts of the country don't always seem to have the same result though.

Like all companies they have good and bad trainers so you need to speak to others in your area and who they recommend. I started with a UV acrylic system which is like a gel in that is sets under a lamp, working with this made it very difficult when i went to convert to another company as it was like learning another totally new system, so i actually did a 121 with another geek to get the feel for the product first.

I understand from other more experienced geeks that youa re best to start with Liquid & powder as this is the hardest system to mster. Get the best trainig you can afford and contact the companies nearest to you and see what they ofer.

Product companies are normally the best way to go.

HTH

Latest posts

Back