How do you pay your staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitter Ball

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im about to open a new hair and beauty salon next month and could really use your advice. I'm looking to hire a hairdresser.

I've been reading around and it seems most hairdressers are self employed, and I'm not too sure whats a good rate to pay them i.e. should I charge rent for a chair or split profits etc. So I wanted to find out how you pay your staff?

Many thanks!

Hi, congratulations on opening your new salon, exciting times for you.

Firstly, if you rent a chair out they will be classed as self-employed not staff so technically you don't pay them anything.

It's hard to say if percentage or fixed rate is best for you, depends a lot on your area, if your providing products or they bring their own.

Will you help with marketing, printing etc?

There are lots of threads on SG about rentals, why not have a good search it should help iron out some of your questions.

Good luck

Thank you! It is also the most stressful period im just hoping everything goes to plan!

The only time I am planning to do the marketing side of things and providing products is if they are with me on a fixed rate. The area around me has no other salon so it's difificult to tell what will work for me.

Ill have a read around here for more info too thanks for your help!

Xx

You could offer % profit share for x amount of months so someone can get started up, advertising etc then charged a fixed rate-this gives the hairdresser time to build up a client base where u are, and be able to afford the fixed rate at the end of the time period.

As for marketing it is upto them to advertise themselves, but if u are advertsing they couldchip in and have their services also advertised.

Xx

Latest posts

Back