How do you re-taylor a tip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Reaction score
Without the risjk of sounding completly thick here - how do you re-taylor a tip???

I reduce the well already, but am i supposed to be thining out the contact area on the tip as well???

We never did this at college and i've read a few threads/articles and it comes up a lot.

Hoe do you do it??

Em.xx

PS i meant pre-tailor not pre-talyor (that sounds like before Duran Duran and god bless him John Taylor - God i'm showing my age):D

Have to sa I never pre blend but many do.

Before application of the tip and after reducing your well are, just hold the tip in one hand while you file over the well area to thin it with the other. Not to much.

I thought it might be something like that but wasn't sure.

Do you think its worth doing or is it just down to the individual nail tech??

Geeg - do you not need to pre-blend a tip when doing wraps? If not, how do you manage?

I have to say it depends on the tip you're using, but i would say to reduce well area, then i'd apply the tip and just blend slightley. If you are doing a natural look without your pink and white then you will need to blend the tip so its invisible, but if you're doing pink and whites, then you only have to blend slightley as your L&P will cover it up.

Hi...

Well area...

To cut or not to cut?...that is the question...

Should we or shouldnt we?...love to hear your opinions on this...

Carole Lindsay said:
Geeg - do you not need to pre-blend a tip when doing wraps? If not, how do you manage?

I blend after application if I need to.

As for cutting out the tip well, I always used curved scissors. You can file it out as well, but I get a more accurate more centred curve by cutting.

I have to say i always used to file oout my well area but it takes time. Thanks to Caz she showed me how to Cut the well area out then you jjust file it briefly to smooth the edge, then its done, really quick and time saving.

I allways use a file to take out the well area takes no time at all and then blend once on the nail...............with white tips I file out the well and then i put a qtip in nail fresh and wipe this along the edge I have just filed and it makes it nice and smooth takes off any little bits and tidys it up great ( if you know what I mean ) lol

Take care Dawnie xxx

talented talons said:
I have to say i always used to file oout my well area but it takes time. Thanks to Caz she showed me how to Cut the well area out then you jjust file it briefly to smooth the edge, then its done, really quick and time saving.
I reduce the well area by filing - something i did get taught at college!!:rolleyes:

As for the pre-blending of the tip, might give it a whirl later, you never knowit might work for me??

Em.xx

Dawnie said:
I allways use a file to take out the well area takes no time at all and then blend once on the nail...............with white tips I file out the well and then i put a qtip in nail fresh and wipe this along the edge I have just filed and it makes it nice and smooth takes off any little bits and tidys it up great ( if you know what I mean ) lol

Take care Dawnie xxx
No - sorry - what's a qtip???

I left me brain at home i think.:)

Emmajt said:
No - sorry - what's a qtip???

I left me brain at home i think.:)

Sorry cotton bud

Take care Dawnie x

Dawnie said:
Sorry cotton bud

Take care Dawnie x
God i'm not on this planet somethimes - thanks for that. LOL

Hi there Emma,

Here is what I do with tips (clear or natural):-

I always buy the tips with minimal contact area (Creative's are called Velocity).

I cut the entire well area out with curved scissors, then I use a 100 grit to lightly file the smile line to make sure it is perfect, I don't do anymore pre tailoring, I apply the tips, thin out the free edge and buff over the smile line and dust any debris away, for me personally this automatically creates a guide for my smile lines, it works for me!

With Ezflow Precision clear I don't blend atall (rightly or wrongly) I simply apply and thin out the free edge.

Hope this helps!
J x

Hi All

I am a total advocate of removing most of the well but (like Geeg) do not do any pre blending. I think it's quicker to do when applied - seconds rather than minutes.

Although I try to avoid recommending products there is a tool I think is a great help with this stage and that is Star Nails Tip Tailors (when I worked for them many moons ago I developed it for them). It has a curved blade but handles like nippers so it is easy to pick up and put down. No shaking off the 'holes' of scissors.

Find corners to cut off time but never off quality!

Marian

Jo Jo said:
Hi there Emma,

I always buy the tips with minimal contact area (Creative's are called Velocity).

I cut the entire well area out with curved scissors, then I use a 100 grit to lightly file the smile line to make sure it is perfect, I don't do anymore pre tailoring, I apply the tips, thin out the free edge and buff over the smile line and dust any debris away, for me personally this automatically creates a guide for my smile lines, it works for me!

With Ezflow Precision clear I don't blend atall (rightly or wrongly) I simply apply and thin out the free edge.

Hope this helps!
J x
must try this, i always make sure you can't see anylines so it looks like its part of the natural nail. this takes so long, and i swear im getting huge biceps on my right arm! more often than not im doing p&w, so it would really help to cut down on time, and to acheive perfect smile line quicker.

Jo Jo said:
Hi there Emma,

Hope this helps!
J x
Hi Jo Jo..when you say 'thin out the free edge' is it the same as blending it into the natural nail?

Jo Jo said:
Hi there Emma,

Hope this helps!
J x
This sounds a good method - IF I'm reading it right. Do you place the smile line of the tip EXACTLY on the smile line of the natural nail? If that doesn't make sense, is there a photographic step by step of this method somewhere? I would really like to try this!

mum said:
Although I try to avoid recommending products there is a tool I think is a great help with this stage and that is Star Nails Tip Tailors (when I worked for them many moons ago I developed it for them). It has a curved blade but handles like nippers so it is easy to pick up and put down. No shaking off the 'holes' of scissors.

That is so true Marian - they are definitely far easier to handle than curved scissors - I'm assuming these are the same type of thing that I picked up at Designer Nails but with white handles like nippers a while back - couldn't do without them...

mum said:
Hi All

I am a total advocate of removing most of the well but (like Geeg) do not do any pre blending. I think it's quicker to do when applied - seconds rather than minutes.

Find corners to cut off time but never off quality!

Marian
Thanks Marion

I've got the Star nails catalogue with me at the mo, i'll have a peep and see what i can find

Em.xx

Latest posts

Back