How does Nail Envy work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
Just as the title says ! how does it actually work ? I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and have seen a slight improvement on my paper thin hairdressers nails but am interested in how it does what it does ?

so can nail envy be used over polish, obviously start as a base coat but the article says reapply every other day ?

Ive always wondered how or if it really works.
I dont usually believe in nail hardeners being good for your nails. :confused:

Do your nails stay hardened and healthy when you stop using it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have the nail envy. I am now working part time at Wendys Fast Food and had to take off my gels. I have very thin natural nails as I was sick for a long time and they never grow long and strong as some. Anyhow. I use it over a base coat and two coats of Nail Envy. I am not allowed color. I change my polish 3 x a week or as I need it as my hands are in water a lot. I do not have issues with peeling or crappy nails. As for it working I say yes it works for what it is supposed to do and that is help my short thin nails survive without overlay or enhancements~

The original nail envy works because it has formaldehyde in it (formalin)

This causes the nail plate proteins to form additional sulphur bonds which makes the surface harder and less flexible.

This is helpful for soft, flexible and weak nails

However, continuous use can cause over hardening and therefore more brittle and crack/split prone nails extended use will start to work through the plate and can exaggerate peeling and flakiness.

Also formalin is a health risk for soft tissue (skin) so it must only be applied to the nail plate and not for extends time

For brittle and crack prime nails a conditioning oil is of far greater benefit than a hardner

Hths

what would you suggest for overbuffed nails that are sore and now really weak? would nail envy be any good for strengthening this problem.

The original nail envy works because it has formaldehyde in it (formalin)

This causes the nail plate proteins to form additional sulphur bonds which makes the surface harder and less flexible.

This is helpful for soft, flexible and weak nails

However, continuous use can cause over hardening and therefore more brittle and crack/split prone nails extended use will start to work through the plate and can exaggerate peeling and flakiness.

Also formalin is a health risk for soft tissue (skin) so it must only be applied to the nail plate and not for extends time

For brittle and crack prime nails a conditioning oil is of far greater benefit than a hardner

Hths
I agree that hardener will cause the nails to be more brittle but NE strenghtener is not a hardener. In the past I've managed to grow my thin, splitting nails really quickly with this and cuticle oil, also they remained flexible and didn't break. If someone's not into gel polish/gel/Shellac or whatever I strongly recommend this product. Mind you - as soon as you stop using it your nails come back to previous condition. I used to apply 2-3 coats as a base coat under coloured polish and remove/re-apply it every week.

Latest posts

Back