how does this set look?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikita

Reaction score
here is a set i did, give me some opinions if you will. any comments good or bad will be much appreciated! :)

nails2.jpg

thanks! :)

It is very brave of you to post your photo and thank you for allowing me to critiqure them for you. One question I always ask my students before I make a comment is ... what do YOU thinkof them?? can YOU see areas where you want to improve but don't know how?? Or YOU know they're not quite right but are not sure just why they're not quite right??

Here's what I see. The nails are 'fan shaped' which indicates that too large a tip has been used in the first place and then adding the product on the top has exagerated the fan shaped look. The extension of the nail should follow the side walls of the natural nail and be parrallel to each other. They should look pretty and natural. These are on the 'heavy' side. A common fault I see on MANY nails of even experienced nail artists.

The product is laying too close to the cuticle which will cause lifting in a few days time. The skin around the nailplate has been roughened by trying to thin the product when finishing.

Now for the positives!!!
Your smile lines altho not deep are quite crisp and there is a good definition between the pink and the white - good job. They are also fairly consistent in length altho the pinkie is considerably shorter than the rest. Consistency means that you are working to a system and your results will only get better as time goes on and your technique develops.

Surface smoothness looks good (no big lumps and bumps) but they could have much more shine to them with a little more 'elbow grease'.

A little more finishing and re-working of the form or outline shape of these nails and they could look look very good indeed. You are on the right track. Keep working hard and go for natural and pretty!

Look at lots of photos of gorgeous nails and work out why they look so good and try to copy the look - that's what I used to do. Creative have a lot of beautiful images on their web site that you can access - also look through the trade magazines (altho some of the nails are absolutely terrible in the adds) they have a lot of images and you can compare good nails and bad nails.

I have been a Nail competition judge for many years and I have judged these nails as I would for competition - Aim high!! Good luck.

Gigi,

Your comment that some of the nails in magazine ads are terrible made me smile! I've often thought the same thing. There's one advert in particular where the smile lines have been placed far too low down (presumably an attempt to make the nail bed appear long and elegant) - ugh! Horrid!

I know just the add you are referring to!!

But what makes me really wonder is ... to put those images in the magazines in the first place - THE COMPANY MUST THINK THEY LOOK GOOD!! Sad sad sad :(

The standard is a bit better than it used to be, but there are still some dreadful ones around. Especially step by steps!! Usually the nails of the technician look horrid, and the end results on the model look pretty bad too. Most of these step by steps would't entice me to buy the products!

The nails are 'fan shaped' which indicates that too large a tip has been used in the first place and then adding the product on the top has exagerated the fan shaped look.

I sometimes get this look when I have a client who has a very accentuated C curve. I use Velocity tips but end up having to go to 1 or 2 sizes bigger in order to fit sidewall to sidewall. The down side of course is that although they fit sidewall to sidewall they don't actually follow the shape of the natural nail (a bit gapey). If I go down a size they don't reach the sidewalls. How can I combat this other than sculpting?

Adele

Hi Adele,

There is a technique used just for the sort of situation you describe - it also works on badly bitten nails and gives a makeover that looks spectacular. We teach this technique in one of our Master Classes when we teach nail 'makeovers'. This is the class where we cover all the ugly nail shapes and teach how to give the illusion of beauty.

First You need a pair of curved scissors.
Fit the tip so that it fits from side wall to side wall.
Then take your curved scissors and gently cut away a little bit at each side of the tip following the lower arch of the tip and NOT including any of the well area. This narrows the extension while leaving the well area the correct size.

This is a brillient trick for a few different situations.
1. Badly bitten nails
2. High arched nails
3. When the tip is digging into the skin and leaves a mark when you are sizing it. If you cut a sliver of the tip away ... no more sore fingers. Must be done before application.
This should tempt you to do your Master Classes. There are loads more brillient tricks to learn.

dont suppose you have any pictures of what you mean or a step by step type picture ,it is probabaly so easy what your describing but my brain is not engaging tonight :hic:

Honestly it is as easy as I describe it.
Read again when brain is engaged and when you have a tip and some curved scissors in your hand and just do it!! :)
No step by step available.
Come to a Master Class we have educators near you.

Hi Geeg

Have done all my Master Classes and Master Qualification day back in 2001. I was shown how to 'saddle cut' tips for bitten nails but definitely not for accentuated C curves, which as you rightly point out will eliminate the 'paddle' look.

However, that part solved, am I still right to go for a bigger tip that doesn't necessarily hug the 'C' curve of the client's nail? As I've pointed out I'm already using Velocity which is CND's deepest 'C' curve tips.

Thanks
Adele

geeg
yep your right what was i thinking, :oops: just need to buy some curved scissors and give it a go ,but it makes sense today :D

Adele Hi,
You definitely want a tip that conforms to the C curve of the natural nail.
Velocity does have a deep curve, but eclipse is the one I use for those high arches where the sides go almost vertical before arching over the top of the C.
I didn't use Eclipse all the time, but only for the nail I describe. I found it 'hugged' the sides of the nail beautifully. I used to keep a box in my desk just for when the occasion arose. If you havent tried them a 100 box is handy to have. One type of tip just won't fit everyone which is why we have choices.
Of course you can always sculpt them ... :rolleyes:
By the way, the saddle technique is useful for fan nails, bitten nails, higfh arched nails, missshapes ... whenever you want to get that sleek look when you wouldn't get it otherwise.

just found out there is one of them make over classes coming up near me in june.so hopefully will book my self on ,it sounds just the course i need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back