How have you got to where you are today ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choc choc

Reaction score
I did a similar post to this in 2008 and I loved all the feedback so thought I would post again....just interested to hear how you got where you are today. where you started at and how you got there (the journey ) and any tips or advice you have .

I did 3 years hair and beauty combined course. Volunteered unpaid in a salon in the west end, which turned into my first job. Then worked in a salon in docklands, ended up as manager. Managed a few other salons then bought my first salon in 1999.
My advice is to give of yourself. I have never been tight or mean with either my money, time or skill. I always gave my all.

By learning from the best and becoming an expert and artisan in my field.

By working hard for years and years in the salon and always putting my clients and later my customers first.

By always doing the best job I can do, whatever i am doing, each and every time.

And lastly, by being absolutely honest both in business and with people. I have to say, that my honesty has been abused from time to time by co-workers and colleagues as they saw it as my weakness to exploit, but now with hindsight .. They have all lost out and I'm still around, successful and kicking, :green: ... So maybe there is a lesson to be learned there.

I'm in a different position to most people on here in that my work is IT related (albeit offering services to salons and therapists) as opposed to being a salon owner, beauty therapist, hairdresser or nail tech, etc.

To be honest, I'm not exactly where I want to be yet, as I had to temporarily return to office work in September because of financial reasons (primarily a tax bill that was due at the end of November) which has severely limited the amount of work that I've been able to do for my salon related clients (despite working like a mad thing most weekends).

But I would put getting as far as I have so far down to lots of hard work (long hours 7 days a week), networking and building up good client relationships - as well as having had the experience of 12 years of working in IT before deciding to "go it alone" last year.

Brute force and ignorance! :green:;)

No seriously, used to work as a programme planner/scheduler/running tv channels then decided I needed to come home for my sanity, did long distance consultancy for UK and Central European clients then had my first child and decided to retrain for a job I didn't need to be in Romania/Poland/Russia to do so chose the thing I loved doing, Reflexology, and built it up from there.

2 kids now, working mainly mobile doing 1 day a week from a Salon and loving it. Always learning, always feel like a novice and wouldn't have it any other way.

xx

Latest posts

Back