How Impressed Am I??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
antnbuckley said:
ok, as far as i know, Grafton international and California nails are contractually the sole distributors of EzFlow in the UK (Graftons are the holding company and California Nails are the main distributors as well as two other sub distributors).

The agreement is for the above companys to sell to the uk only as EzNails are officially only supposed to sell to the states - again as far as i know.
This is a bit naughty aint it................
EZNails are not supposed to ship to countries that hold the sole distributor right with EZflow.............and they would have known this!!!!
EzNails have committed a big no no...............

Now we all like a bargain and no one is having a go at you Carol, as they should have turned your order down and referred you to a UK Distributor.
But now here is another thought..........

Even though the goods did cost only £38.00.............Carole was lucky that she didn't get charged import tax on flamables.....
Which at a minimum could have easy toped the £20.00 mark for this one item...making it £58.00 not a saving then!!!!.....HM Customs are quick off the mark usualy, which then comes to the Customs & Excise declaration, the parcel did not have a clear flamables lable on it and that is breaking global law..............It was send via airfreight I assume, because of the speedy delivery and not via sea freight.

Where does the customer stand if they have a product complaint...???.....Grafton international and California nails are contractually the sole distributors of EzFlow in the UK ,so if you buy from them you know you will get the customer support you might need, but because the products where actually sold by a company in the states they are not legaly or ethicaly bound to sort out any problems with the purchased goods..............

So my thinking is.............
Do I want to buy anything from a Company that
  1. Break shipping laws and could end me up in trouble
  2. Doesn't care how much it might cost me in import duty
  3. That encourage illegal importation
  4. Clearly don't care about business ethics
I have brought Nail stuff from the states before now and it has never worked out cheaper in the end.....I learned this the expensive way.........By the time I paid my import tax and Customs and Excise duty it would have been cheaper to buy form the UK.......Many years ago I ordered Resin form a US distributor as the prices seemed so much lower..........well total cost wasn't I ended up paying over £30 in shipping and taxes and it made each bottle of resin nearly £13 .........unlucky for some eh ???
There are NSS and there are NSD as in non standard salons and non standard distributors............................
Just my thoughts

I have to say that I do get a little tired of UK distributors being refered to as 'greedy'.

There are legitimate costs to importing in the amounts that are brought into the country and it is impossible to 'sneak' products in when one orders like that. Little piddly orders can be sneaked past the customs and excise quite easily but not always ... and when you get caught you will not be so lucky and may have a little more insight as to how goods are charged out in the UK.

Go and live in Germany where the technicians pay even more for their products than in the UK. They try to order all the time from the UK. Creative UK will not sell into Germany to these technicians because it is not their territory. It is unethical, it is breaking a contractural agreement, and THAT would be greedy. I would say the greedy ones here are EZnail in the US for trying to grab sales that are not rightfully theirs to make.

Flammable goods cannot be sent through the ordinary post. The penalties are very heavy for doing so. Remember the plane that went downin New Jersey a few years ago. The cause was undeclared flammable goods on board. EZnails should be fined heavily for that kind of negligence.

Go get em Anthony!!! I hope they have the book thrown at them. If I was Grafton I would be furious.

well, EzFlow USA and AII are aware of the situation now and are working on resolving it.

and carol, dont worry honey, you didn't know you were doing wrong. you were doing what you thought was best so dont worry, you aint in trouble :) . the only one at any real fault here is EzNails!!!

as soon as i hear anymore, i'll be sure to let ya all know.

antony

antnbuckley said:
and carol, dont worry honey, you didn't know you were doing wrong. you were doing what you thought was best so dont worry, you aint in trouble :) . the antony
I beg to differ - Carole has been asking about buying from the USA direct for a while now and has posted as such. Not trying to cause trouble - just that we discussed this a few days ago!

I don't know which paper I read this but wasn't a plane grounded this week because nail polish leaked and the plane had to be evacuted?

I used to work in shipping myself and still have serious contacts. Carole you have got away this once but trust me, customs will monitor frequent parcels, especially ones without the correct declarations.

Another thing, You pay for added value here - you have now a dvd that doesn;t work and the only source of help is on this board. Presumably for an extra #13, you could have UK product support?

Cathy

Have to say i didn't know the trouble that could be caused just by ordering from the USA. I was never aware of the fact that they aren't even suppose to sell to us here in the UK, and i don't think Caz was either. We were just looking for a good deal so we could get some products to set up with as we are both Small business's. Money isn't free flowing.

I know that now i have found the trouble you can get in, i wouldn't be buying from the US now, i have spoke to Ant Buckley on this so he could explain all. I have already registered with California Nails, as has Carole, as we know we would get our products from them here in the UK.

I'm glad we have had some help and advice on this but i feel its been an honest mistake, and at the end of the day they shouldn't have supplied us. They never mentioned when ordering any of this so if i hadn't been on this site, i would be none the wiser, so there must be others in this situation.

Just wanted to point out that Carol is NOT the only one to have ordered from the USA, i also did and was told by someone else originally but i'm not mentioning names.

We are both aware now the trouble that we could get in for doing it, hell we have only ordered one item each, a starter kit to get us going. ONCE is all we've done and now we are having people having ago. Like i said had we known we probably wouldn't have done it. We appreciatte everyone's help and advice.

I think we should make sure everyone else knows about the problems in ordering over seas, then its up to the individual if they still want to. i do think the distributer should be the one to not except orders. And you're right ro say had they refused my order in the first place i would have respected them more. I know i will be using California Nails in the future, but had i not been told about this i would have carried on orderering from the States. As i have never been involved in Customs its not something i would know.

Mrs Geek said:
I beg to differ - Carole has been asking about buying from the USA direct for a while now and has posted as such. Not trying to cause trouble - just that we discussed this a few days ago!
I seriously resent this! I asked once a couple of days ago and for your information i was asking about buying from a private individual in the US not a reputable Ezflow supplier and i took your advice and didnt buy from them. I was not to know that i wasnt supposed to buy from a US supplier: i expect them to tell me not the other way around. I am not impressed with your posting this.

I have bought from different countries too, and will continue to do so as long as the price is right. I understand how UK & Irish companies have to pay the 'extras' and then have to pass it on to their customers, so if I can get a 'bargain' from abroad, I will. I don't buy monomer from overseas though, that's the only thing. But we all like to shop around for bargains (anyone here who doesn't?) whether it be clothes, holidays or nail products. Customs here in Ireland and the UK have always been red hot on charging me whenever I have bought from the States, they've never missed even the smallest package - I was even charged for one parcel which actually WAS a gift to myself from a friend - I really wasn't happy about that, it wasn't terribly expensive either. These days, if I want to buy something from abroad I will check out the shipping costs, and then as a rough guide to what Customs are going to rob from me I add shipping to the product cost and then add another 21% (the VAT rate here in Ireland - UK, think yourselves lucky!). If I don't need it so quick, I have it sent to my mum's where the VAT is less.

Regarding the flammable products being shipped from Ez Nail - I think that's down to them. They should be more than aware of the shipping procedure for flammable/hazardous items and should then be pointing this out to the customer. I recently asked to buy an item from Mui and she politely told me she was not allowed to ship monomer by air - if she can tell her customers that, then the big companies should be doing it too.

Carole, the main prob is shipping the monomer - it should be done by sea, not air, and the company should have known this and made you aware. I actually tried to buy from EZ Nail some time ago and was told by them they wouldn't ship to the UK, so never tried since.

My EZ Flow DVD came from the States and worked fine on my laptop, I never even thought about the different regions, my laptop must be multi-region or something. But you can do a search on the net to see if it's possible to change your DVD to multi region, it's very simple to do, as far as I'm aware it's not illegal (!) and you'll be able to play your Ez Flow DVD - which is fantastic - when you get to watch it you will really enjoy it.

Carole - Now that you've been chopped into tiny wee bits, eaten up and spat out, dust yourself off and pick yourself up. I know you to be a very responsible individual. You are not breaking the law - the supplier is. It was not your fault and I would probably have done the same thing. I too am very ignorant with regard to shipping regulations of such products so will stick with UK suppliers nwo that I have been enlightened, although it is very tempting to snap up what seems a legitimate bargain. And I thought we only had to know about nails and nail products! Cheer up honey - it's Saturday!

Whilst you are sorting stuff out with ezflow can you also say about the fact that they charge far to much p+p for the starter kits that they send out. I was quite cross when the satrter kit came that I was charged inc vat £5.29 postage for a package that cost them 26p to post. When I rang up and complained about the charge they said it was due to a recorded delivery (which it wasnt). even if you take into account the cost of the envelope and packing £5.29 is exsesive. It wasnt a good first impression of CNA as

A) I was not told of a p+p charge when ordering, I was just told about the charge for the kit (which I didnt mind about)

And b) when I rang up to complain somone said they would get back to me about it and they havnt.

I find that a lot of companies over here have a minimum p+p rate which is totally inflexable and I, as a small business am fed up with paying it to subsidise the p+p that isnt charged on larger orders.

Just to back up Caz here, we both saw EZ Flow products being sold on Ebay but then realised that is was in the USA so thought better check it out first. Caz then posted a thread asking about import tax regarding the states, which she was told to be care ful so neither of us bought from this buyer. Then we found out about EZ Nails in the USA, and never got told that they wouldn't ship to the UK, so we went ahead with both our orders.

I actually got abit more shipping added and was told it was due to the flammable monomer. I accepted this and thought it was all above board. I can honestly say i will NEVER order from EZ Nails again, and will continue my nail shopping with Califonia Nails in the UK. I have also heard of Grafton International but never used them can anyone help me with a phone number or web addie as would like to find a couple of suppliers in the UK so i have a choice of where to shop.

Caz and myself never meant to cause trouble or annoy ANYONE. We are not in the habit of doing anything illegal and certainly wouldn't have done it if we knew then what we know now.

the link to graftons is in the industry links bit in the site stuff drop down menu. x

Bodacious said:
Whilst you are sorting stuff out with ezflow can you also say about the fact that they charge far to much p+p for the starter kits that they send out. I was quite cross when the satrter kit came that I was charged inc vat £5.29 postage for a package that cost them 26p to post. When I rang up and complained about the charge they said it was due to a recorded delivery (which it wasnt). even if you take into account the cost of the envelope and packing £5.29 is exsesive. It wasnt a good first impression of CNA as

A) I was not told of a p+p charge when ordering, I was just told about the charge for the kit (which I didnt mind about)

And b) when I rang up to complain somone said they would get back to me about it and they havnt.

I find that a lot of companies over here have a minimum p+p rate which is totally inflexable and I, as a small business am fed up with paying it to subsidise the p+p that isnt charged on larger orders.
Hi Bodacious

Your posting has been the subject of many a thread in the past.........but unfortunately there is really nothing we can do unless we happen to live within a reasonable radius of our local suppliers.

Your supplier has various costs they incur that they need to cover......we need the products..........catch 22 situation. As to not being told about the additional P+P, I'm afraid in this day and age surely we just come to expect to pay it.

Think about it, if we order an item for £25 and p+p is an additional £5.25........when we make an order for £125 the p+p generally remains the same.......therefore it's worth trying to buy bigger on a less frequent basis........just my thoughts:)

Adele

I dont think anyone really meant to 'come down' on her... and yea... it was mostly EZ Nails fault in this situation (heck, they most likely were not aware of the rules regarding international shippnig/declarations/duties).

Heres the thing:
I think everyone knows why she ordered... it was 30% cheaper and came pretty quickly. Heck, who wouldnt order in that situation.
That was why I warned here... It is not cheaper to legally buy from the US. It is overall much more expensive. Sometimes people sneak by without knowing all of the ramifications of ordering overseas.... many times the overseas distributor is unaware as well. During that time... the person ordering can get a slight discount. That is, until Customs and Excise come pounding on your door. Or worse, you and/or the supplier are threatened with prison sentences for not correctly shipping and declaring the hazardous materials being shipped or for 'smuggling'.

This has been talked about many times on the site (people buying from the US) because they feel that they get ripped off with prices in the UK.
The fact is, the business here have to follow the letter of the law and thus, it is relative. If you follow the letter of the law, it would actually cost you much more for your goods than buying it in the UK as you would be buying it at a list price AND then adding all the extra fees on top.

Sorry it has all gone pear shaped, however it would have gone far more pear shaped if it wouldnt have been addressed and the ordering would have continued; that is until the men in black suits came or a deadly serious accident were to occur.

Hope this clears things up

I agree, we all like a bargain, and Carole, to be fair, I think I would do the same - however, they are in the wrong sending it incorrectly. Pick yourself up and pat yourself on the back - you have raised awareness about buying in the US. Its customs regulations, EZ would have made a false declaration re hazardous substances, you can;t control what they declare.

Have a good weekend
Cathy

Peppercorn Nails said:
Hi Bodacious

Your posting has been the subject of many a thread in the past.........but unfortunately there is really nothing we can do unless we happen to live within a reasonable radius of our local suppliers.

Your supplier has various costs they incur that they need to cover......we need the products..........catch 22 situation. As to not being told about the additional P+P, I'm afraid in this day and age surely we just come to expect to pay it.

Think about it, if we order an item for £25 and p+p is an additional £5.25........when we make an order for £125 the p+p generally remains the same.......therefore it's worth trying to buy bigger on a less frequent basis........just my thoughts:)

Adele

Dont get me wrong I dont mind paying p+p but at a fair price, it annoys me when people make on the p+p as well.

Also if you are out of just one neccesary item it isnt as if you can wait until you have a large order to compensate. Often you find that a company will waive the p+p on a large order and so the small business ends up covering the cost of 'free' p+p to the big guys

All I ask it that companys play far on the p+p not see it as a sneaky way to make money.

Just one of many a bee I get in my bonnet about being a small trader :lol:

I'm glad you said that Sam, to be honest i've been rather worried about it all as also ordered from them. We won't be doing it again, especially as finding out that it is wrong in the first place.

Thanks to people that have sent me other contacts to use next time, its good to know that you get help in every situation, even if some make you feel you are the bad guy.

I have bought from EZ Nails and the Supply Source in the States and have to say that I wasn't aware of all the shipping, freight, duty regs as mentioned above, why would I be I'm a nail technician....Well, I do now though.

I think we've all learned a lot from this thread but I also think there could have been better choice of words in some postings - I appreciate that you can't emulate tone on a discussion board but anyone would think the Carole had been importing weapons of mass destruction and was on trial for it here!

I think this thread should be closed.

nails@42ndstreet said:
I have bought from EZ Nails and the Supply Source in the States and have to say that I wasn't aware of all the shipping, freight, duty regs as mentioned above, why would I be I'm a nail technician....Well, I do now though.

I think we've all learned a lot from this thread but I also think there could have been better choice of words in some postings - I appreciate that you can't emulate tone on a discussion board but anyone would think the Carole had been importing weapons of mass destruction and was on trial for it here!

I think this thread should be closed.

This post made me laugh :lol:

Latest posts

Back