How long are your nails? Real, fake, favourite colours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovelongnails

Reaction score
Just wondering what other people's preferences are on here... Personally I'm not a fan of acrylic nails and prefer to grow my own. I just prefer the feel and look of real nails, and love tapping them on hard surfaces, which drives some people crazy. It's just not the same with acrylics! Lengthwise, about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch is my ideal length, although I've had them up to an inch and a half before. Luckily I rarely break any nails and they are really strong (one of the bonuses of being male, I guess). Colourwise I like french manicures, fuschia pink and baby pink (not very stereotypical for a straight guy I know, but by GF encourages and supports me!)

I wore acrylics when I was younger, usually at weekends, which I enjoyed at the time because it wasn't feasible for me to grow my own nails at the time (my parents and schoolteachers were disapproving, not to mention bullying at school, but my mum has mostly come to terms with it now, and we even do eachother's nails sometimes). Her's are much more beautiful than mine although these days mine are usually longer, much to her jealousy.

Watching my mum spend hours meticulously filing, manicuring and painting her nails when I was a kid is what made me dream of one day having beautiful long nails myself in the first place, so it's her fault anyway! It always just looked so much fun (I was always very arty and creative as a kid), and now that I finally plucked up the courage to grow them out for real a few years ago, I can confirm that I love them just as much as I thought I would (hence my name)! And even though peer pressure to "conform" to "conventional" standards (who decides these rules anyway?!) was hard at first, I learned to ignore all the disapproving looks and rude comments and qctually have fun with my nails, often purposely wearing very bright, noticeable colours and going out of my way to make people notice them. Disapproving/disgusted looks made me laugh nowadays. Really it just shows how narrow minded, judgemental and intolerant people are.

I guess I'm lucky to not have ultra manly hands (I work from a computer, so no manual labour) and short nail beds, otherwise I don't think I could pull off long nails. Hopefully, being the 21st century and all, and a time when people celebrate equal rights (and right so), more people will realise equal rights is a two way street. A few decades a go, if a woman had worn jeans, that would have been considered masculine, inappropriate and offensive, but look how that has changed. Would be nice if it would change more in the other direction as well! I hope straight men enjoying having long, polished nails becomes more popular and less taboo as time goes by, because if it's fine for women to enjoy having nice long nails, why can't men enjoy them for the same reason (I do!). I just find them aesthetically pleasing and fun to take care of (plus my GF likes me scratching her back!) Anyway, thought I'd share my story. Interested to hear other people's!

Some pictures from over the last few years:

Attachments

• peet029_2.jpg
    peet029_2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 188
  • peet040_2.jpg
    peet040_2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 189
  • peet025_2.jpg
    peet025_2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 178
  • peet026_2.jpg
    peet026_2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 181
  • peet010_2.jpg
    peet010_2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 176
  • peet032_2.jpg
    peet032_2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 178
  • peet053_2.jpg
    peet053_2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 177
  • peet067_2.jpg
    peet067_2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 176
  • peet086_2.jpg
    peet086_2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 178
  • peet034_2.jpg
    peet034_2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 178
  • peet015_2.jpg
    peet015_2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 181
  • peet027_2.jpg
    peet027_2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 173
  • peet011_2.jpg
    peet011_2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 176
Just wondering what other people's preferences are on here... Personally I'm not a fan of acrylic nails and prefer to grow my own. I just prefer the feel and look of real nails, and love tapping them on hard surfaces, which drives some people crazy. It's just not the same with acrylics! Lengthwise, about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch is my ideal length, although I've had them up to an inch and a half before. Luckily I rarely break any nails and they are really strong (one of the bonuses of being male, I guess). Colourwise I like french manicures, fuschia pink and baby pink (not very stereotypical for a straight guy I know, but by GF encourages and supports me!)

I wore acrylics when I was younger, usually at weekends, which I enjoyed at the time because it wasn't feasible for me to grow my own nails at the time (my parents and schoolteachers were disapproving, not to mention bullying at school, but my mum has mostly come to terms with it now, and we even do eachother's nails sometimes). Her's are much more beautiful than mine although these days mine are usually longer, much to her jealousy.

Watching my mum spend hours meticulously filing, manicuring and painting her nails when I was a kid is what made me dream of one day having beautiful long nails myself in the first place, so it's her fault anyway! It always just looked so much fun (I was always very arty and creative as a kid), and now that I finally plucked up the courage to grow them out for real a few years ago, I can confirm that I love them just as much as I thought I would (hence my name)! And even though peer pressure to "conform" to "conventional" standards (who decides these rules anyway?!) was hard at first, I learned to ignore all the disapproving looks and rude comments and qctually have fun with my nails, often purposely wearing very bright, noticeable colours and going out of my way to make people notice them. Disapproving/disgusted looks made me laugh nowadays. Really it just shows how narrow minded, judgemental and intolerant people are.

I guess I'm lucky to not have ultra manly hands (I work from a computer, so no manual labour) and short nail beds, otherwise I don't think I could pull off long nails. Hopefully, being the 21st century and all, and a time when people celebrate equal rights (and right so), more people will realise equal rights is a two way street. A few decades a go, if a woman had worn jeans, that would have been considered masculine, inappropriate and offensive, but look how that has changed. Would be nice if it would change more in the other direction as well! I hope straight men enjoying having long, polished nails becomes more popular and less taboo as time goes by, because if it's fine for women to enjoy having nice long nails, why can't men enjoy them for the same reason (I do!). I just find them aesthetically pleasing and fun to take care of (plus my GF likes me scratching her back!) Anyway, thought I'd share my story. Interested to hear other people's!

Some pictures from over the last few years:

I love your new nails photo your nails are so beautiful hope I see you more of pitcher of you nail soon Devin

Sent from my SCH-S738C using SalonGeek mobile app

I love your new nails photo your nails are so beautiful hope I see you more of pitcher of you nail soon Devin

Thanks. Glad you like them.

I love your nails soo jealous as soon as my natural nails get long they end up breaking or a bite them so I have acrylics on and just put gel polish over them

I love your nails soo jealous as soon as my natural nails get long they end up breaking or a bite them so I have acrylics on and just put gel polish over them

I used to be a biter, too. Do you use nail strengthener? Did wonders for me. I very rarely break any nails now. They are very strong.

Im lucky enough to have really strong nails and always prefer them long. At the moment they are nearly 5mm past the end of my fingers apart from one nail which I broke the other day :sad:.

As Im male I daren't risk a colour so have got as far as clear polish but in the past Ive had occasional French manicures.

You will never know until you give it a go. You can train online or at classes. I would say classes for you to get yourself used to the environment. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a lot more men these days enjoying long nails, which I find inspiring. Hopefully in a few more years it won't be as taboo, because I can guarantee you there are thousands more men (straight and gay) out there who would love to have beautiful, long, healthy (and polished) nails but who don't dare because of all the social stigma attached to it still (due to social conditioning/conventional wisdom/traditional etc). Why should the ladies be allowed all the fun?! Some men like having nice nails too! It's just aesthetically pleasing to me, and I find it fun to spend time filing/painting/growing them. I can understand being put off by gruff, hairy, ultra masculine hands with dirty, unkempt fingernails but as long as they are clean, manicured often and well looked after, I don't see why it's such a big deal. Hopefully one day I'll grow the courage to grow mine slightly longer, and wear even louder colours. Fuschia pink is my current favourite. Who says pink is for girls (and blue is for boys)? The colour spectrum is genderless.

You will never know until you give it a go. You can train online or at classes. I would say classes for you to get yourself used to the environment. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I'm from just outside London. I really would love to be a nail tech!

I used to be a biter, too. Do you use nail strengthener? Did wonders for me. I very rarely break any nails now. They are very strong.

Yeah I use ibx but some how still manage to break them when they get long having gel or acrylic tips on helps me to stop biting too but I would love to have your nails

Yeah I use ibx but some how still manage to break them when they get long having gel or acrylic tips on helps me to stop biting too but I would love to have your nails

Biting is a habit that can be kicked. I did (years ago). My nails have only been like this for 3 or 4 years. I had to wait until my late 20s before I ever even tried to grow my nails. Well actually, I tried to when I was 13 or so but got in trouble with parents and had to cut them.

There seems to be a lot more men these days enjoying long nails, which I find inspiring. Hopefully in a few more years it won't be as taboo, because I can guarantee you there are thousands more men (straight and gay) out there who would love to have beautiful, long, healthy (and polished) nails but who don't dare because of all the social stigma attached to it still (due to social conditioning/conventional wisdom/traditional etc). Why should the ladies be allowed all the fun?! Some men like having nice nails too! It's just aesthetically pleasing to me, and I find it fun to spend time filing/painting/growing them. I can understand being put off by gruff, hairy, ultra masculine hands with dirty, unkempt fingernails but as long as they are clean, manicured often and well looked after, I don't see why it's such a big deal. Hopefully one day I'll grow the courage to grow mine slightly longer, and wear even louder colours. Fuschia pink is my current favourite. Who says pink is for girls (and blue is for boys)? The colour spectrum is genderless.

I agree, especially what you mentioned about pink and blue. I much prefer pink as a colour for anything.

I agree, especially what you mentioned about pink and blue. I much prefer pink as a colour for anything.

Pink is my favourite nail polish colour, especially light pinks. I like french manicures sometimes too.

Biting is a habit that can be kicked. I did (years ago). My nails have only been like this for 3 or 4 years. I had to wait until my late 20s before I ever even tried to grow my nails. Well actually, I tried to when I was 13 or so but got in trouble with parents and had to cut them.

Yeah my natural nails have always been short as I picked up the biting habit from my dad but I never used to be girly I was always the first one to get stuck in with assault courses and stuff it's only since i had my daughter 4 years ago that I have been trying to grow my nails, well you have done an amazing job at growing them 😊

Probably my favourite picture...

I got so many compliments when my nails were like this (nearly all from women, of course). I was flattered. :)

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 107
Yeah my natural nails have always been short as I picked up the biting habit from my dad but I never used to be girly I was always the first one to get stuck in with assault courses and stuff it's only since i had my daughter 4 years ago that I have been trying to grow my nails, well you have done an amazing job at growing them 😊

Stick at it and you'll get there if you want it enough! Five years ago I never would have dreamed my nails would be like they are now. They were "normal" man nails before. BORING.

Someday It will be a new Fashion to have Men with longfigernails you must be in your 40s now I found your fingernails pitcher on the old website the men with longfigernails it had photo of the tiger I love that wedsite i found that website on sept 2004 your frist photo was may 17 1999 when you in your late 20s no one not putting new photo in that wedsite lateley:(

Sent from my SCH-S738C using SalonGeek mobile app

Im not a fan of acrylics and prefer my own nails 😊 love ur nails but dont know how u cope with them so long without snapping lol these are mine and thats the length i like to keep them xView attachment 83818View attachment 83819

Latest posts

Back