How long did it take when you started???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louge

Reaction score
Hya geeks

Just a quick one. Ive started to get some clients now, mainly through doing some nails for a freinds wedding so word of mouth has started to spread and Ive done five sets this week (I also work full time).
My one area that I feel is letting me down is the length of time it takes me to complete a set. I prefer to sculpt, to me Im working fairly quickly but then when I look at the clock it tells a different story!
How long did it take any of you when you first started out? I know with time and practice I will improve and my clients understand that Im new and most just enjoy sitting there being pampered

Thanks

Times. Wow. I look at is as being each to his/her own, really. But when I first started out as in left the college, I had sculpting at 1hr 45 and tips to 1hr 20. The College pushed a hard line about times being an hour or just over but, to be honest, I didn't see the point. Didn't take me long to work down my times (but then again, I was in an area where it wasn't that hard to get clientele) and while I can get sets down to an hour, I prefer to max out at 1 hr 30 otherwise it's just not enjoyable for me.

Do what you do best utilising what time you have. No point in rushing it and doing a crap job. Word of mouth works in reverse too, you know! :wink2:

The time factor is one of the biggest concerns for new techs. I always tell my students not to worry about their time and concentrate on doing a good job, your customers will appreciate it more. Most clients would rather sit for 2 hours and get a really good set that will last for 2 weeks before needing a rebalance than get a set done in an hour and have lots of problems with them. The thing is, that the more you do and the more experienced you become, your time will come down naturally without you worrying about it. Keep going at your own pace and don't feel pressured....that's when mistakes happen
Lorraine

Well I book appoinments 2 hours apart as it takes me about 1&3/4 hours to do a set. My very first set ever took me 4 hours. I did them on my mum-in-law who was 78 and she fell asleep whilst I was doing them. Bless.

It takes me 3 (yes THREE) hours to do a full set for tips and my sculpts are improving all the time and I've been qualified for 7 months. I would love to be quicker but then I find I start making errors so I would prefer to do a good quality job if it means taking more time. I tell all my new clients up front that I am slow because I prefer to focus on quality and they are all okay with this. If you think about it like this, time and labour costs money but our clients don't pay for the extra for time it takes us so I just say "sit back and enjoy being pampered. Louge, you don't say how long it takes you. Would you mind sharing this with us?

I would prefer to do a good quality job if it means taking more time.

That sums it up perfectly! My first set took me 2 hours to apply and then another 2 hours to file them down!!! They were so thick that she couldn't lift her hands off the table!!!:lol: I used to be able to do a set of sculpts in 45 mins, but that was when I worked in the salon and was really pushed. I tend to take 1 to 1hr 15mins to do a set now and I am very happy with that.

Lorraine

When i done my first ever set on my mum, it took me four hours aswell. It was just getting the hang of what came next and if i missed out anything. It then came down to about three hours, and then 2 and a half, and then when i started working it came down to 2 hours within two weeks. Depending on the clients nails i might take quicker or longer. So i guess it is all down to practice, and your technique.

Thanks for your replies. My gel overlays are taking around an hour but tips and sculpts are more like 2 +! Like I said clients so far have been extemely pleased with the result and so far only one has had a breakage. I know when Im working what I want to achieve and where Im improving. Hopefully attending some skill building days in the near future to work on improving..whoohoo!
I find its my prep that is taking longest, none of the ladies Ive seen so far have had any form of manicure or extentions before so Im being thourgh as not to get lifting from poor prep

louge said:
I find its my prep that is taking longest, none of the ladies Ive seen so far have had any form of manicure or extentions before so Im being thourgh as not to get lifting from poor prep

You will find that spending time on a good prep will be really worth the effort. When I first started doing nails, I was having problems with lifteing even though I swore my prep was good. I am meticulous now and it has really paid off.

My first ever set took me 2 hours. Now my time is down to 1 1/2 after 14 months but still not a lot of practise. so hopefully it can come down more when ive got a bit more time!

When I qualified in September last year, I was taking between 3 and 4 hours. When I trained with Creative this year in Feb, I was taking 3 hours, after being given my homework to do for two weeks, I did 2 full sets every night, so I pushed for 4 hours per night practising for 2 solid weeks, I then got my time down to 1 and a half hours for a full set of tips, sculpting takes me 1 hour 15 minutes. Took me ages to get my time down BUT improving in the quality of my sets as well, very challenging!!! Today I still take 1 and a half hours but the quality of my sets improve on every set! I think that is the most important not how long it takes!!! But then again some ladies take me two hours to do, it all depends on the client, don't know if that makes sense :rolleyes:

xxxx

Well I just did a rebalance with a repair on a set of sculpts which I did two weeks ago and it took me an hour and all nails were fully intact so I feel a bit happier now.

Thanks for your replies

It's true, I think that it is better to take your time and do the set well then to do the set fast and have complaints later. When I first started it took me 2 hours and a half to finish a new set. Now, I take 1 hour to do a set of tips and overlay, 1 hour and 1/2 for colored acrylic. With time you will get better and better. Good Luck!

Nidia

A full set, tips or sculpts, usually takes me about 2 and 1/4 hours. If I'm doing a one color fill my time is around 1hr and 15m. A rebalance usually takes me 1hr and 30m. My times can vary if I need to do repairs or nail art.

It can sometimes be very frustrating when there are other techs out there fills and/or rebalances in 45m to an hour, but I realize that I can only work at my own pace :)

Also, I spend A LOT of time on prep. It's the most important part of the service ;)

Mine used to take 3 hours when I 1st started (tips not sculpts), they now take about 2 hours, 2 1/2 if theres more prep needed.

i qualified in september and i take 2 and a half hours for a full set. xx

louge said:
Hya geeks

Just a quick one. Ive started to get some clients now, mainly through doing some nails for a freinds wedding so word of mouth has started to spread and Ive done five sets this week (I also work full time).
My one area that I feel is letting me down is the length of time it takes me to complete a set. I prefer to sculpt, to me Im working fairly quickly but then when I look at the clock it tells a different story!
How long did it take any of you when you first started out? I know with time and practice I will improve and my clients understand that Im new and most just enjoy sitting there being pampered

Thanks

Louge
Are we talking Biosculpture overlays and sculptures here or l&p?

If you are taking 2 and bit more hours for bio sculptures, thats pretty good and almost normal. My first lot took me about 4 hours, to do the sculptures and apply a colour to it.

I allow up to an hour for a new set of overlays, but can be done in about 40mins if I shut up.

Although biosculpture is a paint on application, you still have to take your time with prepping and so on.

I wont worry its early days yet.... Hang in there!

The first full set I did on the final day of my course took 7 hours! There was a lot of filing involved to create something resembling a nail! LOL!

I then spent a while taking 4 hours a set, but my clients didn't mind as
1) I warned them when they booked,
2) my price reflected my inexperience,
3) I made sure the quality of nail was good

Now I'm down to about 2 hours.

Latest posts

Back