How long do you allow for a gel appointment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Char1508

Reaction score
Hi I am newly qualified and am running my ‘salon’ from home. I am wondering how long you allow for an appointment? I am only offering removal and polish at the moment. What I am struggling with is I don’t know if the client has gel to be removed or just bare nails. And as I am new it takes me a bit longer than most to remove and manicure with fresh polish. I don’t feel like I should ask the client before they come if they have polish to be removed.

So I would book hourly for a gel manicure without removal but I don’t want to have to remove and end up with people waiting if I get behind.

Hope that makes sense!

I used to work in a salon so I’m quick, I do 30 mins for application and 15 mins for removal so both together is 45 mins.

When you book people don’t be afraid to ask if they have gel on already!

If they have a manicure as well as the gel application they get an hour

If you are just starting up and looking to gain regular clients then you have the space in your appointment book to allow 90 mins for each gel polish manicure. This allows plenty of time to remove old gel and apply a new set without getting stressed watching the clock.
While the old gel is soaking, use this time to make them a coffee, choose a colour and make their next appointment. This way, at the end of the treatment you only have to take the money and send them on their way!
You'll get quicker the more clients you do. If you do end up with spare time between clients then use this to reply to messages, restock, do ordering and put towels on to wash.
Always lots to do even when no clients in!

If you are just starting up and looking to gain regular clients then you have the space in your appointment book to allow 90 mins for each gel polish manicure. This allows plenty of time to remove old gel and apply a new set without getting stressed watching the clock.
While the old gel is soaking, use this time to make them a coffee, choose a colour and make their next appointment. This way, at the end of the treatment you only have to take the money and send them on their way!
You'll get quicker the more clients you do. If you do end up with spare time between clients then use this to reply to messages, restock, do ordering and put towels on to wash.
Always lots to do even when no clients in!

Thank you so much! I was thinking 90 minutes for now while I build my regular clients and work on getting quicker. I don’t want to have to rush and feel like I’m not giving them 100% while they’re here x

I’m also very newly qualified. At the moment I am practising on friends and roughly taking 45 mins for gel mani, but the removal has been tricky and taking me longer than it should, but I’m still trying out different ways and they understand I’m no pro.

I give myself ample amount of time if i have one client after each other. I’d rather have time to kill than be panicking about letting anyone down.

Why dont you want to ask if they have gel already on? You need to ask certain questions. I always ask the condition of their nails, if they have had gel on before etc. So I will say something like. Have you ever had or do you have any product other than standard nail polish on your nails? If they say no then u know the nails will be naked. If they say yes then ask how they got on with it, did it last etc. This will tell you if they have suitable nails for gel or give you an idea at least. Dont do clients blindly. You need some info so assess time and suitability x

Why dont you want to ask if they have gel already on? You need to ask certain questions. I always ask the condition of their nails, if they have had gel on before etc. So I will say something like. Have you ever had or do you have any product other than standard nail polish on your nails? If they say no then u know the nails will be naked. If they say yes then ask how they got on with it, did it last etc. This will tell you if they have suitable nails for gel or give you an idea at least. Dont do clients blindly. You need some info so assess time and suitability x
I just didn’t want to because as a client I have never been asked by my nail tech x

I just didn’t want to because as a client I have never been asked by my nail tech x

When I work this is one of the first things I ask, nothing worse than when a client turns up with gel on and you don’t have time to do their nails

Try to get into the habit of asking if they do have something on their nails.

I also work from home so have the luxury of time that those in a salon don't have. I book an hour for a removal and application and this gives plenty of time to greet them at the door, let them take their shoes off, get upstairs and then reboot and pay at the end before shoes back on and saying bye with a bit of admin thrown in as well.

I do tend to book those new clients at the end of the day as I've been stung in the past with other products that they swear is shellac. But, as said above, if you don't have a full book you also have the luxury of time. And you will naturally get faster.

1 hour 15 min at the most u NEVER want ur client sitting in the chair too long plz don’t let that happen u need to do wat u do and get them out quick but don’t rush too much take ur time and treat them just don’t take not needed time for the client it happened to me and I never seen that client again in my life and she texted me a few weeks later and told me I took to long it was crazy so I went to a few family members and worked on my timing and i times myself

If you’re happy to remove a gel polish applied elsewhere just ask when they are booking if they require a gel polish or removal of previous gel polish and reapplication.
If you build up clientele you will need to know this to allocate your time correctly. Time costs money...

Latest posts

Back