How long do your abrasives last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hi, how long do your abrasives last before you throw them away? I find that my 240 kanga's tend to last a while, but my 100/180 grit only seem to be good for about half a dozen full sets. I spray them with disinfectant and scrub with a nail brush after each service, but they soon seem to be less abrasive, and sometimes bend in the middle (I know thats because of how I hold them and I need to change that).
So do you reckon half a dozen services is about right for the abrasive that you use to file the cured product? I'm going through loads of 180's!! I use the designer nails black grit lollipops, does anyone recommend a better abrasive?

Hi, how long do your abrasives last before you throw them away? I find that my 240 kanga's tend to last a while, but my 100/180 grit only seem to be good for about half a dozen full sets. I spray them with disinfectant and scrub with a nail brush after each service, but they soon seem to be less abrasive, and sometimes bend in the middle (I know thats because of how I hold them and I need to change that).
So do you reckon half a dozen services is about right for the abrasive that you use to file the cured product? I'm going through loads of 180's!! I use the designer nails black grit lollipops, does anyone recommend a better abrasive?

I use a brand new file every rebalance.. and then it goes into my mixed bag of files that i use for finishing enhancements..
I probably shouldnt, but i get very attached to certain files.. they can be on their last legs but if i feel they are still doing the job i use them to within an inch of their lives.. I even have some that are so bad they are perfect for buffing oil in!! (not quite but yea!)
I only ever throw a file away when it has seriously fallen to bits.. I may not use it but it goes into a box i like to call "The damned" (always good for emergencies)
I like outblacks 120/240.. and have found the padded ones are best for me.. Im also loving the boomerang padded 180/180, These two beauties are basically all i need for shaping and refining.. and last ages..
I think my point is, if your happy with you system and you are keeping them well cleaned then you should be fine!:green:

Files *grumbles* I brought a pack of expensive Harbours only to find they were a rip off of the HB smaller in width, bendy as heck.. nasty things.. good for toes or parrot toys... I am currently looking for new files.. dont like any I have... I want to try those Foam spongy ones... 240 only (Efile does the hard work)

Files *grumbles* I brought a pack of expensive Harbours only to find they were a rip off of the HB smaller in width, bendy as heck.. nasty things.. good for toes or parrot toys... I am currently looking for new files.. dont like any I have... I want to try those Foam spongy ones... 240 only (Efile does the hard work)

I am in love with my Outblack Padded.. cant recommend it enough!! Especialy as they reduce the friction and i am pretty heavy handed.. they are 120/240.. and they last forever as they come up brand new looking after a wash!

Thanks ladies. Another question though: what do you use to file l&p after application? I got told never use less than 180 on uncured product, but sometimes I must admit to starting off with 100 then going to 180. Probably when I perfect my sculpting and they need less filing I will only use 180, but out of interest what grit do you use for this job?

A 100 grit is to course for freshly applied L&P. You shouldn't use anything lower than a 180. I tend to just use a 240/1200 for finishing though.
Try to work on getting your shape from your application. Sculpt with the brush not the file.
BTW I use a file for 2-4 rebalances.

Thanks ladies. Another question though: what do you use to file l&p after application? I got told never use less than 180 on uncured product, but sometimes I must admit to starting off with 100 then going to 180. Probably when I perfect my sculpting and they need less filing I will only use 180, but out of interest what grit do you use for this job?

I use 100/180 to shape and cut down length and then my outblack 120/240 to shape refine and finish..
but it all depends.. I use about 4 files in total at any given time..

I dont file uncured product..

Latest posts

Back