How long do your files last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ophala

Reaction score
I just wondered on average how long you use a file for before you throw it away/start a new one.

I find when I'm doing a full set - either on myself or someone else I go through at least 2 files. (I use OPI silver cushioned files, 180grit). I use the edge of the file for side walls/cuticle area - although sometimes make a little cut - almost like a paper cut where it's sliced the skin. The trouble is I find after a few nails they don't work as well and I end up starting another one for the other hand.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I do keep most of my old files and try and use them for thinning down product etc...

I just wondered on average how long you use a file for before you throw it away/start a new one.

I find when I'm doing a full set - either on myself or someone else I go through at least 2 files. (I use OPI silver cushioned files, 180grit). I use the edge of the file for side walls/cuticle area - although sometimes make a little cut - almost like a paper cut where it's sliced the skin. The trouble is I find after a few nails they don't work as well and I end up starting another one for the other hand.

I do keep most of my old files and try and use them for thinning down product etc...

to be honest i do things the other way round...i use my older files for new sets as there is less filing to be done and more natural nail to work on first....i use my new files for re balances.

If a new file is to sharp you can run the edges down another file to blunt it slightly.

I get about 10 sets out of each.. Harbour bridges (120/220) last longer about 15 sets... Black boards (100/180) last around 10 sets.... maybe I am just tight with my files lmao... I do use a file revivour after each set thou, perhaps thats why they last so long.

Just wondered what is a file reviver as I have not heard of that before??

to be honest i do things the other way round...i use my older files for new sets as there is less filing to be done and more natural nail to work on first....i use my new files for re balances.

I do the same. You do not need sharp abrasives to do full sets ... at least I don't.

I rotate about every 3-4 clients I think. All well sanitised in between of course. :lol: Before anyone asks!!

For full set finishing I only use a thin abrasive to go around the edges and then a white block ... no filing to shape normaly as I do the finished nail with my brush. Try to make that your goal.

Just wondered what is a file reviver as I have not heard of that before??

Its a rubbery block of.. well i dont actually know!... I was taught about it when training (creative) after your done filing you just rub this rubbbery block up and down your file, it removes any product 'clogging' the grit and your files almost as good as new... I only ever need to biff a file when the grit starts flaking off the sides or they get a crease in them... even then I dont normally biff them I use them on my fiancees feet lol

Ok thanks hun!
I save old files for feet too! x

i think if you are using 2 files for a full set, you should look at your application.
once you have the application correct, there is a lot less filing to do.
you must be applying too much product in the first place to need 2 files to shape it. always remember that less is more when applying your product. this approach will save you time as well as effort and money on wasted product and files. however i do think your resolve to get a good finish is comendable. just try to concentrate more on a thinner application and you'll progressively find that your filing becomes less and less.

thanks for all you replies.

i don't have a lot of time to practise at the mo but when i do i will definately be trying to get the product thinner. It's more for shaping around the cuticles etc i find they wear away a bit and feels like i'm hardly filing the product.

thanks anyway

i dont do enhancements but use OPI, they have the file edger to smooth the sides of files - it in Scratch this month!!

Also I have one its great!!!

I have file kits for all my clients and I think I change them after 4-6 appointments. (I dont wash them)

For one/off clients I wash and sanitise them.

HTH :hug:

i only use the LCN files because they seem to outlast any others I have tried. I used to LOVE the Amoress Take Down file when it was in white but now it's only in black and not nearly as good.

I also keep clients files in kits (brown envelopes) for them but prior to putting them away for the clients next service I dust them off, I wash them with hot soapy water with antibaterial soap, spray them with T36, let air dry until completely dry, store in brown envelopes and put in a drawer. I can usually do about 4 to 5 sets with them. I would not think of putting them in their kit without doing the above, even if I do use them on only that client!! If you don't do the above then that is just not sanitary, if there is any tissue on the files at all then you are setting up and environment for "uglies". :irked:

Its a rubbery block of.. well i dont actually know!... I was taught about it when training (creative) after your done filing you just rub this rubbbery block up and down your file, it removes any product 'clogging' the grit and your files almost as good as new... I only ever need to biff a file when the grit starts flaking off the sides or they get a crease in them... even then I dont normally biff them I use them on my fiancees feet lol

Where could I buy one?

Latest posts

Back