How long do your gels last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanyaMackie

Reaction score
I have a couple of clients that I feel have unrealistic expectations of how long their gels should last. With some thinking 3-4 weeks is the norm. Where as I’ve always said they’ll last 2 and any extra is a bonus.

How long do your clients expect their gels to last?

Gel Polish is 14 days, Gel extensions 3 weeks depending on growth and activity levels

Gel Polish is 14 days, Gel extensions 3 weeks depending on growth and activity levels

Thank you, I’m glad I’m not going out of my mind, haha. Since going self employed I find i doubt myself much more xx

For gel nails, they should come for infills between 3-4 weeks, although they will probably last 5+ weeks if prepped well. If it's gel polish you mean, I expect 3 weeks as do my clients, but I suppose this will vary between brands, clients etc. I suppose some can only wear them for 14 days before chipping, as it depends on client activity and aftercare, as well as you and the product. I think a hybrid like CND shellac has a reputation for only lasting 14 days. Whether it's unrealistic to expect 3 weeks for a gel polish, I don't know, but that's what I personally have experience with so that's what my clients and I have come to expect. But it's usually no biggie if they have a bit of chipped polish when they come back after 3 weeks, as long as it doesn't happen every time. Then they'd probably need to consider coming in a few days earlier, or troubleshoot the issue further. :)

I do have a couple of gel polish clients who come in every 4 weeks, because that's their budget and time, but I do tell them the polish might not stay flawless for those 4 weeks, and so they're aware. Often it does stay on flawlessly though, so they start to think this is the norm, and that's where client expectations can become askew, as you mentioned. PS: Scrubbing in the base coat with a small short brush prolonged my clients' gel polish wear by a significant amount- Perhaps that can help with those clients who like to use their nails as tools (or lie and say they've applied cuticle oil every day when they haven't even touched it for a month. They never learn, some of them... ;)

I find the gel polish or overlays staying on the nails isn't usually the issue as it can stay perfectly intact for weeks and weeks. The problem is the re-growth, which doesn't look nice. Also, as the Nail grows out, the structure and apex grows out with it, making the enhancement unstable so if they do catch it on something it's more likely to break, causing damage to the natural nail underneath. I have got a couple of clients that try to leave it as long as possible between appointments because they do actually last, but I try to encourage them to come in no longer than 3 weeks for infills or soak off for gel polish.

My clients come back for gel polish every 3-4 weeks. Some may chip slightly but they never lift. Even have a few that can go 5+ weeks. I use gel polish, not hybrid.

I have a couple of clients that I feel have unrealistic expectations of how long their gels should last. With some thinking 3-4 weeks is the norm. Where as I’ve always said they’ll last 2 and any extra is a bonus.

How long do your clients expect their gels to last?
If clients are being unrealistic do what I do.... I charge anyone who comes back at 3 weeks a bit less. after 3 weeks its the same cost as a new set.

If clients are being unrealistic do what I do.... I charge anyone who comes back at 3 weeks a bit less. after 3 weeks its the same cost as a new set.

Ooh - good idea! [emoji848]

Latest posts

Back