How long does it take to advance junior, intermediate and senior level therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMC

Reaction score
I can't find a guideline to this anywhere online.

How long would you expect a junior therapist to be in the industry, before they are classed as intermediate?
How long again, would you expect a senior therapist to have been in the industry - before they can call themselves a Senior therapist?

Junior - 2 years total
Intermediate - 2-5 years total
Senior - 5+ years ?

Thanks in advance

I don't think time in the industry is the only issue, I think it's to do with training and skills. We have set expectations before our therapists are classed as progressing. They need to have consistently busy columns, high rebooking rates, excellent client feedback and advanced training. I have one therapist who really just wants to turn up and work. Column is hit and miss but feedback is generally good. She works part time and is happy with that but isn't interested in further training etc. I then have a full time therapists who has pretty full columns, excellent feedback and wants to train in everything. What they generate for the business is reflected in the treatments they offer. My newest full time therapist will be at an advanced position much quicker than my part timer because she's hungry for it. She grasps that as a business, she makes us a lot more money doing advanced facials than she does doing a set of nails. She'll also be busier.

As far as just a name goes, they are therapists and my daughter and myself are senior therapists.

Vic x

Thanks Vic.
That all makes sense.

Assuming the therapist is (as you say) hungry for knowledge and advancement. Puts the time and energy into it, and is an excellent therapist. Would you still not call them Senior until X amount of time?

I would call myself Senior; 9 years of hands on experience, high standard including the positive points above.
Then we've had someone apply to work for us, listing themselves as senior therapist, but has only worked (almost) 4 years in the industry?

I would say you both could be classed as senior, but dependent on the salon you're working in. I would have to decide if a person hit my criteria to be classed as senior, rather than their own!

A little like the 18 year old 'head chef' on a Gordon Ramsey programme many years ago. He decided he was a head chef, so he was!!!

Yes, very true!
Thanks for your reply. :)

Latest posts

Back