Brush Slayer Geek
- Jun 24, 2003
- Reaction score
- Brighton, East Sussex
In a perfect world thats what would happen. Did she actually say that or say 'hopefully with this overlay you'll only need to come once a month' - I never promise my clients any kind5 of results, especially at first appointment, I have no way of knowing the future as I don't know the clients behaviour. I can tell them how the products will behave if cared for correctly, I can tell them my plan for their service going forward but I can't guarantee anything.just what confuses me is the tech said this overlay will grow out with my nail and needs no maintenance.
I tell my clients I do 25% of the work in the 60ish minutes they're at my table, the other 75% is purely down to them, I have no control the second they leave my desk hence no guarantees.