How long does regular nail polish last on artificial nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut butter

Reaction score
Hi,

I finally found a really good recommended technician. She put a very very thin layer of lcn on my nails with top coat to allow them to grow. She said I won’t need to fill them in as they’ll just grow with my nail. I’m planning on getting some nail polish added down the line on top of this minor enhancement... how long should it last?? If I get gel color will it last longer?? How long??
Thanks.

Ages, normal polish rarely chips on overlays of any kind, provided you take care of them of course. The overlay product can still chip if you are not taking care of them. Gel Polish is not necessary over an overlay product.

You had LCN extensions put on before and struggled with removal as it was hard gel and could not be soaked off. Check what LCN product the Tech is planning to use as if it's soak off you can't have gel polish anway as it will soak off with the colour coat (Gel polish should be soaked not e-filed - although I'm aware many do e-file it off)

Ages, normal polish rarely chips on overlays of any kind, provided you take care of them of course. The overlay product can still chip if you are not taking care of them. Gel Polish is not necessary over an overlay product.

You had LCN extensions put on before and struggled with removal as it was hard gel and could not be soaked off. Check what LCN product the Tech is planning to use as if it's soak off you can't have gel polish anway as it will soak off with the colour coat (Gel polish should be soaked not e-filed - although I'm aware many do e-file it off)

Thanks so much. She was an absolute angel, and listened to all of my concerns. She decided the best bet would be to apply a thin layer of lcm (I think IBD) that does not soak off so the nail will grow healthy. She told me I do not need to fill it but I can come in about once a month for buffing and then if I would like to put a nail polish over it I can. If the nail polish can last about 3 weeks that would be great because I plan to go around every 3 weeks. I definitely take care of them. The problem was I think all the wonky salons I have been to in the past... and me hopping from good techs to bad techs in a rush. I learned patience is a virtue. :)

Are you aware that 'LCN' is a brand name not a specific product?? (Light Concept Nails, now rebanded simply to LCN) They were one of the first distributors of Gel products, and have been around for 20+ years. I did their manicure and pedicure training 18 years ago here in the UK but they've been in Europe for longer than that.

You mention IBD - this is also a brand name not a specific product. So the Tech is actually just suggesting a layer of Gel from the IBD brand. I think you may have a misunderstanding of what you have/are having.

When you said you had 'LCN nails' a while back I think you just had Gel extensions, I'm assuming the Gel was from the LCN brand. They could have been any brand of Gel, not specifically LCN. I think there may be a terminology confusion.

Are you aware that 'LCN' is a brand name not a specific product?? (Light Concept Nails, now rebanded simply to LCN) They were one of the first distributors of Gel products, and have been around for 20+ years. I did their manicure and pedicure training 18 years ago here in the UK but they've been in Europe for longer than that.

You mention IBD - this is also a brand name not a specific product. So the Tech is actually just suggesting a layer of Gel from the IBD brand. I think you may have a misunderstanding of what you have/are having.

When you said you had 'LCN nails' a while back I think you just had Gel extensions, I'm assuming the Gel was from the LCN brand. They could have been any brand of Gel, not specifically LCN. I think there may be a terminology confusion.

Oh yea, prob. Doesn't help English is not my 1st language. :)

I think maybe what I mean is it is a thin thin layer of uv gel or hard gel that she said will grow with my nail. It is the same thing they used for my overlays and extensions but so so thin. If the regular polish will last 2-3 weeks on it, I plan to just get a basic mani with her 2-3 until my nails grow out all their kinks. But she was awesome and I am sticking with. NO MORE hopping for me.

Oh yea, prob. Doesn't help English is not my 1st language. :)

I think maybe what I mean is it is a thin thin layer of uv gel or hard gel that she said will grow with my nail. It is the same thing they used for my overlays and extensions but so so thin. If the regular polish will last 2-3 weeks on it, I plan to just get a basic mani with her 2-3 until my nails grow out all their kinks. But she was awesome and I am sticking with. NO MORE hopping for me.

Sounds like a good plan, bear in mind you have damage to your nails that although will he covered will still potentially cause issues, we always say you can't build a house on poor foundations, damaged nails are poor foundations.

Sounds like a good plan, bear in mind you have damage to your nails that although will he covered will still potentially cause issues, we always say you can't build a house on poor foundations, damaged nails are poor foundations.

Yes. So I’m leaving the extensions and overlays off until they grow out completely. My nails grow quick so I’m thinking maybe 4 months. I figure the thin thin layer will be like braces are for teeth with me haha and I’m not even gonna attempt shellac. Just regular polish for now

overlays off until they grow out completely

No, an overlay is what your new Tech is going to put on. It's an 'overlay' over your natural nail, no added length, just a reinforcement thin layer over your existing nail. It will be applied to damaged nail, therefore prone to weakness.

No, an overlay is what your new Tech is going to put on. It's an 'overlay' over your natural nail, no added length, just a reinforcement thin layer over your existing nail. It will be applied to damaged nail, therefore prone to weakness.

Oh, gotcha.

Really interesting to me. Thanks for teaching me all the "terminology."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity... is there anything I can do to repair my nails in the meantime to make product last longer?? :) thanks

Just out of curiosity... is there anything I can do to repair my nails in the meantime to make product last longer?? :) thanks

Yeah, leave them the f@$& alone!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuticle oil, a good quality one, I recommend Solar Oil, and trust your technician, no fiddling, if there's a problem stop trying to fix it and see your tech

Yeah, leave them the f@$& alone!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuticle oil, a good quality one, I recommend Solar Oil, and trust your technician, no fiddling, if there's a problem stop trying to fix it and see your tech
You have me laughing out loud. Thanks a bunch :)

DURI nail hardener ! And cnd oil !

DURI nail hardener ! And cnd oil !

Thanks so much. I’m using the solar oil like chapstick whenever I get across to it throughout the day. I’m just really curious how it works. Like clearly a damaged nail has to grow out entirely to be healthy again. So how does solar oil work? I mean can it make an unhealthy nail and magically turn it healthy?? I am thinking it doesn’t work like that so I’m over here just thinking haha I’m just merely curious.. hmm... maybe I’m bored lol

Also before I forget, an update on my nails with the thin layer of hard gel. ;) The nail tech did say she thinks it is very unlikely they will lift and that while the woman who used the drill on my natural nail roughed them up a bit, it may work to make the hard gel adhere to it more??? Although no one should ever use a drill on a natural nail. Hmm. Anyway. I’m going Wednesday to put on a regular polish to give them some color. I do miss my extensions so so much though. 😢

Attachments

• D3FDB95B-7B9B-498D-93C7-CB687F4F59A7.jpeg
    D3FDB95B-7B9B-498D-93C7-CB687F4F59A7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 297
Also before I forget, an update on my nails with the thin layer of hard gel. ;) The nail tech did say she thinks it is very unlikely they will lift and that while the woman who used the drill on my natural nail roughed them up a bit, it may work to make the hard gel adhere to it more??? Although no one should ever use a drill on a natural nail. Hmm. Anyway. I’m going Wednesday to put on a regular polish to give them some color. I do miss my extensions so so much though. 😢

Kind of agree, certain buts can for certain jobs, cuticle bits for cuticle work for instance, debuljing bits absolutely not. A properly trained tech can use the correct equipment.

Thanks so much. I’m using the solar oil like chapstick whenever I get across to it throughout the day. I’m just really curious how it works. Like clearly a damaged nail has to grow out entirely to be healthy again. So how does solar oil work? I mean can it make an unhealthy nail and magically turn it healthy?? I am thinking it doesn’t work like that so I’m over here just thinking haha I’m just merely curious.. hmm... maybe I’m bored lol

No it's not magic but it's close. It will encourage growth, nice new, lovely healthy nail, it will help moisturise the existing nail to prevent it drying out and splitting keep side wall skin and cuticles healthy and flexible.

Kind of agree, certain buts can for certain jobs, cuticle bits for cuticle work for instance, debuljing bits absolutely not. A properly trained tech can use the correct equipment.

No it's not magic but it's close. It will encourage growth, nice new, lovely healthy nail, it will help moisturise the existing nail to prevent it drying out and splitting keep side wall skin and cuticles healthy and flexible.

cool. I have been applying religiously. I definitely listen to my techs when they tell me what to do but the problem always is the picking. My nails grow so fast and I wonder if it’s the solar oil now.

anyway I made a pact with myself no more picking lol they look pretty nice now with the help of those hard gel layers. You can barely tell it’s on there too. :) Ilive in the US so I think this a good thing to have god forbid places close down too so the maintenance is close to 0

Attachments

• EEECC06E-F496-4AA7-BBFA-AC40299F7001.jpeg
    EEECC06E-F496-4AA7-BBFA-AC40299F7001.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 336
Ugh dang it’s been 9 days and I’m seeing some of this around the nail. Is this a lift? It is such a thin layer so I do not see any detachment from nail but I do see some little bubbly things like this. Should I make an appointment with my tech sooner than she said? She said I can just leave it and come once a month. I’m thinking I should go sooner. This Wednesday makes 2 weeks. Opinion?? I want to do what’s best for my nails. I know it’s not her fault due to quality of my nail

Attachments

• AFA34DFB-475A-4387-9FC3-27CA868BF669.jpeg
    AFA34DFB-475A-4387-9FC3-27CA868BF669.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 287
Ugh dang it’s been 9 days and I’m seeing some of this around the nail. Is this a lift? It is such a thin layer so I do not see any detachment from nail but I do see some little bubbly things like this. Should I make an appointment with my tech sooner than she said? She said I can just leave it and come once a month. I’m thinking I should go sooner. This Wednesday makes 2 weeks. Opinion?? I want to do what’s best for my nails. I know it’s not her fault due to quality of my nail

Yes it's lifting, I absolutely knew there would be some because I could see it starting already on the first pictures you posted. I didn't say anything at the time as I knew it would start you fretting and looking for how to 'fix' it, so decided to wait until you mentioned it yourself. Book an appointment asap and let your Tech sort it out. No you can't fix it, no there is nothing you can do in the meantime apart from leave it alone, yes you still need to use your solar oil in the meantime.

Should it happen? Preferably no but you keep bouncing from tech to tech so it's impossible to sort them because its not an instant fix, your tech needs time to establish the 'type' of nails you have, how they behave and grow, then the tech can build a treatment plan that works for you. I warned you there would be potentially be issues and this is why.

Some clients are 'lifters' and need extra prep and products, some are bulletproof and never get lifting, some can go 6 weeks between appointments, some need every 10 days, it takes time to know those things. 'There is no one size fits all' - I suspect you are a lifter who needs extra prep and 2 week appointment. You might not like it but if that's how your nails behave then that's what's needed for great nails. Its for you decide if you want that level of cost and commitment, if not discuss it woth your tech and work out what does work for you instead.

Yes it's lifting, I absolutely knew there would be some because I could see it starting already on the first pictures you posted. I didn't say anything at the time as I knew it would start you fretting and looking for how to 'fix' it, so decided to wait until you mentioned it yourself. Book an appointment asap and let your Tech sort it out. No you can't fix it, no there is nothing you can do in the meantime apart from leave it alone, yes you still need to use your solar oil in the meantime.

Should it happen? Preferably no but you keep bouncing from tech to tech so it's impossible to sort them because its not an instant fix, your tech needs time to establish the 'type' of nails you have, how they behave and grow, then the tech can build a treatment plan that works for you. I warned you there would be potentially be issues and this is why.

Some clients are 'lifters' and need extra prep and products, some are bulletproof and never get lifting, some can go 6 weeks between appointments, some need every 10 days, it takes time to know those things. 'There is no one size fits all' - I suspect you are a lifter who needs extra prep and 2 week appointment. You might not like it but if that's how your nails behave then that's what's needed for great nails. Its for you decide if you want that level of cost and commitment, if not discuss it woth your tech and work out what does work for you instead.

thank you. I will not touch it. I have an appointment Wednesday. It’s the soonest I can get. I really just want natural nails. I am so tired of lifting after a few days :( could it be the damage? If it wasn’tfor the marks on my nails I’dnever get artificial enhancements :(

just what confuses me is the tech said this overlay will grow out with my nail and needs no maintenance. That if I like I can come once a month for reg manisMaybe it’s the previous experiences but I’m worried why’d she say that. Again, very exclusive place. Does that seem fishy though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back